CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Jeremy Jordan

Profile:
Long distance rucksack marches (how to train?)

I am getting ready for a 28 day course of long distance orienteering with a 50lb rucksack (pack) over heavy terrain. Is there a certaing program that crossfit condones for this or certain wods or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .
Old 01-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Long distance rucksack marches (how to train?)

I used search to find this wfs:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showpo...5&postcount=11

You should use the search button too.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:35 AM   #3
Frank E Morel

Profile:

yeah... its called power cleans... stronger back means less fatigue.. less fatigue means more miles covered.

I think steven's search of ruck training maybe off, as traditionally ruck sack questions are usually started by military types.
saying that... power cleans, back extensions and rowing.. your on your way.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:50 AM   #4
Chantal Brien

Profile:

While having a strong back is great, nothing prepares you for carrying a heavy pack for long distances like actually doing it. It's not just a question of fitness, it's also conditioning your feet and body to what you'll be demanding of them. I would recommend slowly building up the distance you're covering, if at all possible using the same pack and boots as you will be using on your course, while slowly building up the weight you're carrying. Be prepared for some blisters if this isn't something you've done a lot of...
Old 01-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

Check out the below link:

http://www.bragg.army.mil/specialforces/prepare.htm (W/F Safe)

This is obviously in preparation for selection in special forces, but I think that it is applicable. I am not a special ops dude, but I did this program a long time ago and it made a huge difference. I would just do the rucking parts in addition to CF.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
yeah... its called power cleans... stronger back means less fatigue.. less fatigue means more miles covered.

I think steven's search of ruck training maybe off, as traditionally ruck sack questions are usually started by military types.
saying that... power cleans, back extensions and rowing.. your on your way.
Well, considering in my link there's a progressive program link which Ryan just posted right above me for NON-mil looking to get used to the stress for Spec..... I'm going to say that my search was fine.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Jeremy,

Are you going to West Virginia, North Carolina, or Nevada?

Last edited by Ed Haywood : 01-23-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
John McBrien

Profile:

I found this posted on the CFE site as well. I don't think you have to do long distances to condition your feet and your body, treating rucking as a skill will help that because you'll train to run with a ruck correctly. With progression (recovery intervals, intensity, load), I think you can condition your feet, etc. to handle longer, slower, distances. The joint pain, etc. that people feel after a marathon is a "muscle tissue problem," according to BMacK, and can be corrected through S&C and learning running as a skill. I think the same principles apply here. Just my $.02

Quote:
We are training a guy who goes to Navy Recruit Training in a few months followed by BUDS. After talking with Carl and a number of CrossFit savvy SEALS (including BUDS instructors) he is working CF/CFE (running, rowing and swimming) and throwing in a ruck every 3rd to 4th CFE WOD or so. Time/distance are still within the CFE WODs. ++++++ The specificity you are looking for is moving with 60 lbs on your back, not going long. I would encourage you to look at the ruck as a skill - just like POSE, swimming stroke, rowing stroke, or cycling stroke.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
Jeremy Jordan

Profile:

West Virginia
Old 01-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Ed Haywood

Profile:

OK, been there, done that. My advice:

1. Do not risk injury or overtraining. You want to go to this course fresh and well rested, without any lower body joint issues.

2. I'm assuming you're going in mid-March, so you don't have much time to "train". You'll want to taper off a week prior so you are well rested, so you only have about 6 weeks of workout time. Refer to #1.

3. Ignore suggestions to start doing new things. If you have not been crossfitting, squatting, DL'ing, Oly lifting, biking, swimming, etc, now is not the time to start. If you have a good fitness program, then up the intensity a bit, but be careful of injury and be sure to taper off a week or two prior. Refer to #1.

4. You need to ruck about 3 times a week. Do most of your rucking off road and off trail, in the hilliest terrain you can find. Woods are good. Practice walking as fast as you can through broken terrain with a load on. Practice short spurts of running with a ruck, say 1/4 mile intervals mixed into your ruck marches. See #1.

5. If you are off terrain, distance is tough to measure. I'd go for duration instead. Start your initial workouts at 1 hour with a 35lb ruck. Add 5lb each week to get to 55 or 60lb. Each week, do 2 short and 1 long ruck movements, with a day of rest between each workout. Keep the short movements at about 1 hour or 90 minutes max, but move faster and carry more weight each time. Pick a timed course for one of the weekly short movements and try to improve your time every time you do it. For the long movement, start at 2 hours and add 30 minutes each week, so that your final movement is about 4 hours long. Again, refer to #1.

6. Get your boot/sock/insole/footcare system down to a science. Find the boots that work for you, and go with at least 2 broken in but fully serviceable and not-worn-out pairs of boots. Find good socks and good insoles that fit with your boots, and take plenty of both. Learn your hotspots and learn how to apply moleskin BEFORE you get blisters. Get your medic to give you a little bottle of tincture benzoin to glue the moleskin on with.

7. Good luck, and kudos for having the balls to take the walk.