CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #351
Casey Caudle

Profile:
Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Hi everybody! I have been off of grains and sugar for about 1 month. I really enjoy it and I can see improvements in my body and my fitness. My trouble times are on weekends. Something about being at home for longer than usual makes me want to snack all the time. When I mess up its like taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back. I'm improving but not fast enough. I want to go at least 2 weeks without any grain or sugar, then when I am as lean as I want I can start to incorporate the cheat meal and just maintain. I was thinking about going until Spring Break, which I think is March 16th. Hopefully this thread will keep me motivated.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #352
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Wade - Sorry, I totally missed your post the other day. My parents restaurant ownership was definitly a main contributing factor to why I learned such bad eating habits. Best of luck to you!

Casey - Can you not stay at home on the weekends??? I know you said in the other thread you are not a partier (good), so I'm guessing you are studying....when you don't want to study, just get out of the house! Even if it is just a walk around the block.

We seem to always talk about cheating and what makes no sugar/no grains tough.....well what about the good stuff?

One of my good things - my schedule is completely whack lately and I'll go 2-3 days only getting 5 or less hours of sleep a night. I somehow manage to maintain a high energy level though (after a couple sips of coffee). Even on days I'll have sugary treats, if I follow it up with a small grain/sugar free meal later...I still have that high energy level.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #353
Peter Brzezinka

Profile:

New member here. I'm Pete. So far just 3 days into strict zone, 19 blocks. Trying to cut out all sugars, but still a slice rye toast occasionally (approx 5g carbs, 2g of fibre per slice maybe 3/4 slices a week so not bad really!) Anyone any advice on whether or not I should cut out sweeteners - ie cordials with no sugar, vanilla essence in coffee etc? What is the body's response to artificials? Feeling as though I could abstain right now, just interested. Managed to bake a carrot cake (with cream cheese icing) with my girlfriend last night and didn't touch a single bit! The fridge still has a hige bowl of cream cheese icing in there, but no desire for it whatsoever!
Short term goal: 2 weeks total zone, followed by a 24hr insulin spike each week from there on.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #354
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brzezinka View Post
Anyone any advice on whether or not I should cut out sweeteners - ie cordials with no sugar, vanilla essence in coffee etc? What is the body's response to artificials? Feeling as though I could abstain right now, just interested.
Pete,

Some people are ultra-sensitive to artificial sweeteners, others are not. If you can go without, then do. If nothing else, it will help you in your quest to stop craving sweet things, whether it's sweet naturally or artificially.

I've found heavy whipping cream in coffee is the best substitute for sugars. It's just sweet enough to add flavor (and if it's good enough for Robb Wolf, it's good enough for me).

Melissa
Old 02-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #355
Marianne Urbanski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig View Post

One of my good things - my schedule is completely whack lately and I'll go 2-3 days only getting 5 or less hours of sleep a night. I somehow manage to maintain a high energy level though (after a couple sips of coffee). Even on days I'll have sugary treats, if I follow it up with a small grain/sugar free meal later...I still have that high energy level.
Amber:
how do you do it on 5 hours of sleep? I have been working out really early in the morning and in order to be "ready" for the intense workouts, I need to be up by 4:15 AM, this means going to bed "early", which is almost impossible!! I find by Wed and thurs night (like now!) I am so beat, I can barely see straight by 8:00PM!!! What is your secret?
--mariannne
Old 02-26-2009, 07:10 AM   #356
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Peter - Welcome! What Melissa said about the sweets plus some people's stomachs can't neccesarily handle the artificial sugars.

Marianne - It doesn't always work for me, like last night I completely crashed and never made it to the gym. Of course, my sleep had been even less for a few days and I was making crappy food choices. Otherwise, in addition to making the right food choices I drink a lot of coffee (complimented by a lot of water). It's not a great situation, I would be much better off if I could get more sleep, but I work with what I have. Now a question for you - what is your secret to getting up at 0415? I've tried many times to wake up early and workout, but I am much more a roll out of bed and do a "sprint" to get ready for work.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #357
Marianne Urbanski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig View Post

Marianne - It doesn't always work for me, like last night I completely crashed and never made it to the gym. Of course, my sleep had been even less for a few days and I was making crappy food choices. Otherwise, in addition to making the right food choices I drink a lot of coffee (complimented by a lot of water). It's not a great situation, I would be much better off if I could get more sleep, but I work with what I have. Now a question for you - what is your secret to getting up at 0415? I've tried many times to wake up early and workout, but I am much more a roll out of bed and do a "sprint" to get ready for work.
My affiliate has class at 5:15AM, so that works for me before work. They also offer it at 9:00AM and 6:00 PM, but those times don't work for me, so now that I am "addicted" to CF, I make it up in time for my coffee and monavie before my workout at 5:15. (yea, thank god for coffee!!) I do have to tell you that I find myself falling asleep at like 9:00 by mid week though!! I take Thurs as my rest day, so I get to "sleep in" till 6!! YEA!! My friends kid me because you don't want to go out with me on Friday night.. I am asleep on the couch after a glass of wine by 10!! Nice date, huh!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #358
Peter Brzezinka

Profile:

Thanks girls! I think I'll hold out and just go for corporation pop. I like coffee even without vanilla and so just black is gonna be ok I think. Anyone any thoughts on 24 hr insulin spikes? Good for reminding us how crap they make you feel? Even better results than strict zone/paleo?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #359
Rachel Canning

Profile:

Hi everyone! I love me some sugar and carbs! But, with some dedication I think I can kick this habit to the curb for good! I am pretty new to CrossFit, I just started a few weeks ago and I am hooked. I am also on my third day of the Zone. It is going great! I used to subscribe to the Oxygen theory of fitness and clean eating but I find that eating in the Zone is so much better! I don't feel quite as hungry between meals which is a nice change.

I am grateful to have found a support group so when I am feeling weak I can look to all of you to keep me honest.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #360
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Rachel! Best of luck in your CF adventures!

Ok, so breads are not an issue for me but sweets have remained an issue for me. But, I think not anymore. Last night, we threw a leftover lemon cake into the burn barrel (got to fund amusement somewhere) just to see what would happen. THE THING DID NOT BURN! The outside did a bit, created some awesome dark orange flames (the frosting?), but when we left it last, it was just smoldering. I just went to see what the final result was a few minutes ago.....the outside is crispy, the inside is still perfectly yellow. I'm a visual person, and this was rather disturbing.