CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #291
Chris Woo

Profile:
Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

they really dont let you take stuff out, but ive been doing that for a while though chili, broccoli, salads, turkey breast, and fruit is what i usually have. no hardboiled eggs though, too bad cause they are so good.

I slipped up yesterday had a bowl white pasta and sauce at my girlfriend's family's house, they made us dinner so I couldnt be rude and refuse, it was the only option. I resisted eating the chocolate chip cookies they made, which makes me feel a lot better and not so guilty. Grains/Carbs arent my problem though, i rarely eat bread anymore and have no problem eating it once and a while and be done with it. Sugar on the other hand is my weakness, usually once i start eating it, i cant stop, thats the addiction im hoping to break!
Old 02-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #292
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Hall View Post
Second, here's my recipe (could be made paleo subbing coconut milk for whole milk) for sorbet deliciousness:
- frozen mangoes, frozen berries, splash of milk, blender.

It's pretty thick, so you have to mush it down to get it all blended, but it is freaking awesome and totally prevents me from having to eat ice cream. Admittedly, it's a lot of fruit sugar, but sometimes you need it. It can be made more smoothie like by adding more milk. I personally like the ice cream consistency.

I hope everyone's still doing well!
Ooo.. I have to try the sorbet - I've tons of forzen blueberries in the freezer from what we picked over the summer. They are still delish!
Old 02-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #293
Edward Stibick

Profile:

I was No grains/no Sugars for the longest time but now that I'm down to a part-time job with very low funds, I've slipped for a while. Getting back on track with no sugars for a while, but need the grains as for right now since my budget can't afford much else in terms of carbohydrates. And that sorbet sounds fantastic, especially since I have an old tub of Ben and Jerry's laughing at me in the freezer.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #294
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Edward - sweeeeet avatar! Hajime No Ippo is fantastic. Ganbatte kudasai!

P.S. I'm on day 24 of my 30 days, no cheats.
Things that have helped are:
1. Having a ton of healthy food in stock at all times.
2. Eating something before going out for a meal.
3. Having nuts around to snack on.
4. Having a partner who will rescue you from sticky situations if need be.
5. Planning 'day 31'....
Old 02-05-2009, 05:41 PM   #295
Aaron Davis

Profile:

Been going for 15 days now..feeling GREAT. This definitely does not feel like a diet, because its not really restrictive in a negative sense. I love how I feel, and im shedding weight.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #296
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:

I'm surprised how great I feel (or maybe I really shouldn't be surprised!) - either way, I'm not complaining. It's only day 4 but for some reason or the other, I've not had a completely sugar free / grain free day - but the grain / sugar consumed is very minimal. I'm doing 11 blocks and eating that way really helps. Any and all sugar come only from fruit (blueberries, apples, etc). About 2 servings of fruit a day. Some cottage cheese, milk, fat free cheese etc and almonds, pistachios, olive oil for fat. Lots of lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, any veges and plenty of water. I have a lot of energy and I notice the crash after eating the sugar /grain - I'm much more aware of the swings now than I have ever been - which is really odd as well. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this process goes and am going to do my hardest to stay clean.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #297
Anu Varadharajan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Davis View Post
Been going for 15 days now..feeling GREAT. This definitely does not feel like a diet, because its not really restrictive in a negative sense. I love how I feel, and im shedding weight.
Congrats on keeping it up and the weight loss. That's awesome!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #298
Edward Stibick

Profile:

Definitely awesome job and that weight loss will just keep happening.

Thanks Jonathan btw, watched it through and now I'm training to get to 125lbs and start boxing.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #299
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Stibick View Post
Thanks Jonathan btw, watched it through and now I'm training to get to 125lbs and start boxing.
Nice. I think all aspiring sportsmen, trainers, etc should watch that show - hell, probably every human being. If it doesn't make you want to train with all you've got then you're probably dead already.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #300
Kate Sweeney

Profile:

Hi guys! I'm Kate and I've been eating clean for 10 years, was a runner/BB for 10, new CFer since last year, and Zoner for about 9 months, watching from the sidelines and dabbling with becoming TOTALLY Paleo for the last few weeks. I LOVE the thread! Grains/Sugar def. = CRACK for me. I was eating MINIMAL starches on Zone (oatmeal, Cheerios, bread (whole oat/wheat/etc.) VERY seldom . . .) and I recently did a little experiment and cut out ALL of them . . . except my bowl of Cheerios (small. Oh man, I LOVE cold cereal with fresh, ice cold 2% milk), keeping fruit only - and low GI/GL/Paleo-approved fruit as much as I can, and WOW. I was feeling pretty good, but even that little nudge toward more Paleo-ish and I feel "good-er"!

So last night I had pizza and a couple cookies and I felt like I was coming off a drug binge this a.m. (not that I would know, but I'm guessing.) ICKY. I'm thinking about jumping in with you guys for the challenge . . . I am still having issues with the lack of emphasis on amounts of fats and portion sizes with Paleo, coming from someone who had a weight problem in the past and has counted calories in/out for YEARS. I can eat 2 handfuls of ANY type of nuts without thinking about it, I never tried to see if that would satiate me, because I've never let myself eat that many. AND there are things that are NOT Paleo that are not negotiable with me:

1. I'm keeping milk. I LOVE it. I'd GOMAD if I didn't gain muscle weight like I was on steroids.
2. Every other weekend, I have a few vodka and diet cranberrys or Michelob Ultras. I gotta.
3. Coffee. Just regular, old non-fancy drip coffee that every convience store sells. I like half-and-half or cream, no sugar and I FINALLY kicked the Splenda habit. (Some one else on the boards said they got a funny rash under their armpits and when they stopped Splenda, the rash went away. I had the same rash, and I was eating a TRUCKLOAD of it . . . it disappeared in 2 days when I stopped the Splenda. Weird, huh? But I digress . . .)

I guess I could give up my Cheerios . . . any suggestions for a more Paleo breakfast that would RESEMBLE a grain? I LOVE breakfast, I want to eat as soon as I roll outta bed. Maybe some yummy almond flour muffin/pancake concoction?

Sorry for the long post, but I think I need the support in this group!