CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #221
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:
Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Thompson View Post
Tomorrow will be my start of no grains/no sugar. I have started and failed many times and am sick of it. I have m;y food prepared for tomorrow and will ensure that I have my food prepared every night before bed for the next day. I will will check in daily with updates and progress.
you got it! i'm rootin' for you

--

i like dark chocolate.
i like fruit.
i do not consider these cheating.
therefore - still no sugar/grains for moi!
Old 01-26-2009, 08:13 AM   #222
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

I'm on day 14 now of no grains/sugar/dairy/processed food. No cheats whatsoever. Because, come on, if you cheat a few days into it then you have to restart the clock, don't you think? Otherwise you might as well say 'no grains/a bit of sugar when I'm craving it/maybe some dairy from time to time' or whatever.

Last night was the hardest, eating at friends' while everyone had a Chinese banquet (my favourite). I had chicken salad. Which was nice, but... still.

My wife seems to be getting drawn in, as well.... she's mostly stopped eating bread now. Bonus.

From my experience thus far, the key to it to make sure your house is stocked with a ****-load of healthy food - veg, fruit, a million nuts, always four or more eggs around, maybe some chicken legs or some bacon etc - and don't buy anything unhealthy when you do your weekly shop. If I have good stuff close to hand that I can cook up and really enjoy, it's highly unlikely that I'll nip over the road for a chocolate bar. Similarly, in the past, we'd always go for a Chinese when we didn't have enough food in the house to easily cook tea. Make it easy for yourself!

Last edited by Jonathan Slater : 01-26-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #223
Kerry Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Slater View Post
I'm on day 14 now of no grains/sugar/dairy/processed food. No cheats whatsoever. Because, come on, if you cheat a few days into it then you have to restart the clock, don't you think? Otherwise you might as well say 'no grains/a bit of sugar when I'm craving it/maybe some dairy from time to time' or whatever.

Last night was the hardest, eating at friends' while everyone had a Chinese banquet (my favourite). I had chicken salad. Which was nice, but... still.

My wife seems to be getting drawn in, as well.... she's mostly stopped eating bread now. Bonus.

From my experience thus far, the key to it to make sure your house is stocked with a ****-load of healthy food - veg, fruit, a million nuts, always four or more eggs around, maybe some chicken legs or some bacon etc - and don't buy anything unhealthy when you do your weekly shop. If I have good stuff close to hand that I can cook up and really enjoy, it's highly unlikely that I'll nip over the road for a chocolate bar. Similarly, in the past, we'd always go for a Chinese when we didn't have enough food in the house to easily cook tea. Make it easy for yourself!
I have to agree with everything you said. You really do have to stock your house with the good stuff so that you are not tempted. My husband and I are on day 25 of 30, no grains/sugars and we feel pretty good. No cheats, well, except for beer on the weekends but we really dont consider that a cheat. It also helps to have everyone in the house on the same page as well. Keep up the good work!!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #224
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Drank way too much sat. nite and then proclaimed Sunday my cheat day. Yummy yummy! First cheat day in 28 days, next one Valentines Day!
Old 01-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #225
Lindy Hruska

Profile:

ugg. several parties and pieces of cake this week. little sleep from being on call. not a happy no grain/no sugar camper here! back on the wagon, at least until Vegas trip this weekend...
Old 01-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #226
Jennifer Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Slater View Post

I have to totally agree with you. First, I feel it takes a good 5 days of clean eating to get all the toxins out, then the challenge begins. Second, keeping your house stocked with a clean VARIETY of food will keep you on track. Third, it is seriously kicking a bad habit. You can quit it cold turkey, but without learning how to live a healthy lifestyle with little grains and sugars-you'll go back to the "crack".
I'm on day 25. Have not cheated once. Have thought about it, but have not given in to temptation. I will not! I am concerned about Sunday(the day my challenge ends). Will I go overboard with carbs? I don't know. Right now, I am planning on cheating on Sunday and then getting right back on the challenge come Monday.
Just my two cents.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:43 PM   #227
Pete Mielo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Drank way too much sat. nite and then proclaimed Sunday my cheat day. Yummy yummy! First cheat day in 28 days, next one Valentines Day!
Brian, sounds like we had the same weekend! Drank too much on Saturday, so I felt like crap on Sunday, didn't feel like eating regular meals, so I picked at whatever was around. By the time I had dinner though, I did try to make up for it. Salmon, shrimp and green beans.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:53 PM   #228
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Hey Pete, and just not feeling motivated to train today; so did the cfwu and called it a day. Not sure if it's from the lingering alcohol, or all the crappy carbs yesterday. Well whatever, eating clean today...tomorrow should be better. I'm glad it's my "light CF week" or else I'd really feel bad.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #229
John Penner

Profile:

thx Jason & Brian, great motivation for me... I cant seem to get past 6-8 days, then 1 cheat day turns into another.

I'm quiting all artificial sweeteners cause they just keep those cravings alive. got to go hard core on sweets (real or artificial) look for me to check in EVERY DAY while I climb back on & move up to run w/ the big dawgs
Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #230
Joe Thompson

Profile:

Day 1: no grains/sugar. So far so good. I did not get to take my measurements today. I will do it tomorrow morning. I should also note that I am doing the Metabolic diet, so I am not eating any types of carbs.