CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
Ryan Sears

Profile:
The weekends are starting to be rough for me. I'm starting a new job soon and I don't think there is anyway I can get to the gym on the weekends. I was wondering how people doing the 5 on, 2 off, program felt about it and how they accommodated the WOD to fit. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #2
Max Seid

Profile:
Hey Ryan, although most people go 3 on and 1 off, you can really only do what your body can handle. For myslef, the 5 day plan works the best. I'm a college student and the weekends are my time to relax. I like to do the WOD on MWF and get my heavier lifts in on Tue and Thur. I'll do squats, deadlifts, etc. on those days.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:36 AM   #3
Roark Marsh

Profile:
Thank you Max! That is exactly my situation, and my plans. What heavy lift rotation are you doing? I was planning on heavy squat/jerk/clean/deadlift/bench days, and rotating those through. I'm also a bit concerned with slipping behind the posted WOD, how do you handle that? Especially adding in heavy lifting days.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
James Conklin

Profile:
Ryan,

I have only gone 5 and 2 since I started. Weekends are family and get stuff done around the house time. And rest!

I follow the WOD as laid out (although usually Scaled in some fashion!) I am currently about 1 1/2 weeks behind - just did the WOD from 26 March. And Monday I'll do 27 March. I skip rest days unless they happen to coincide with a weekend.

Could I do better if I went 3/1? Maybe, but I'm happy, in good shape and it fits my lifestyle.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:
Ryan,

I am doing an ME Black Box variant that gives me 5 days of work and doesn't make it necessary for me to use the GYM on the weekends.

Monday: CrossFit
Tuesday: Squats and Press
Wednesday: off
Thursday: CrossFit
Friday: Oly and Deads (alternating regular and RDL weekly)
Saturday: Running (vary intervals, occassional 5k)
Sunday: rest

My metcon isn't optimal but my strength is doing well.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
Chris Siler

Profile:
3 on 1 off and 2 on has been working for me. MTW, rest, FS fits my schedule. I find I can increase intensity on Friday and Saturday with the rest day. Otherwise, I was getting burnt and running into some overtraining problems when I was going 5 on 2 off. My weekends don't include a lot of rest. As long as you are consious of your body and remember to take that 1/2 week when needed to recharge. I try to tell myself that I have to rest to get better but I am ususlly in burnout or blackout mode. Good Luck.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Max Seid

Profile:
Roark, I personally do squats, jerks, deadlifts and bench. On the days that I do heavy lifting I also fit in some type of cardio during that day; running, jump rope, bike etc. I like to split up the days when I do squats and deadlifts. It is more beneficial for me to do my squats and deadlifts on different days. Some people will do 3x3 of each on a heavy lifting day, but I have noticed that when I do them on different days the weight I put up increases faster.
As far as getting behind in the posted WOD, that isn't something I would be worrying about too much. The WOD is merely a guideline for which you can improvise. You can pick and choose if you'd like or you can even through something together yourself. Just don't limit yourself to certain excercises. Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
Roark Marsh

Profile:
Thanks again Max. As much as it is "merely a guideline", I think following it as closely as I can will keep me from cheating the exercises I'm avoiding, and really probably weakest at. The last week has actually had both max load C&Js, and deadlifts, so I'm suddenly not as worried about losing/maintaining strength as I was. Skill training and building up intensity as I get into Crossfit are probably going to be my focus for a while, but it's good to know that my eventual plan is in use, and working for someone.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:25 PM   #9
Ryan Sears

Profile:
I was thinking of

Mon: Metcon
Tues: Squat/press
Wed: Metcon
Thurs: Clean/Deadlfit/Pull up
Fri: Metcon

If that doesn't work

I'll switch wed to rest or easy run or row day
and sprints on Sat

For Tues and Thurs Heavy days of all/some/one of exercies Listed.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #10
Rafael Mattei

Profile:
we do a 5 on 2 off at Crossfit PR, we follow the WODs pretty much as they come up. if a rest day is called for in teh middle of the week we substitute for one that we "skipped" due to it being on the weekend. works fine for us,