CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #11
Ted Apollo

Profile:
Re: first 5k. any advice?

thanks again for the input. i am starting to understand what is involved in this.

i still don't understand pace training though

what do you guys think of my running schedule on top of xfit/biking/swimming/other sports?

July:

17- interval
20 - 1.5 miles
23 - interval
27 - 2 miles
30 - interval

August :

3 - 2.5 mile run (6am)
6 - interval
10 - 2.5 mile run (6am)
17 - race day (6am)
Old 07-17-2008, 10:33 AM   #12
Justin McGinley

Profile:

if you do the runs you just listed, the 5k will be a breeze.

Have fun!
Old 07-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #13
Daniel Ory

Profile:

go out harder than you think you should and constantly push the pace during the race.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #14
Jacob Cloud

Profile:

Did my first and only 5k on St. Patties' Day @ about 255lbs. Was a lot of fun because I did the race with my girlfriend, and we just enjoyed it. Go out slow. If you wear a HR monitor, keep your HR 5-10 under your normal pace for the first couple miles so you can finish strong, rather than going out fast and killing yourself and feeling like crap at the end. For example, I find that during a "Fast" mile, my HR creeps up to 178-180 at the end. If it gets over 180 for any amount of time, I bonk. I kept it at 165-170 for the first couple miles and cruised through the 5k, finishing with a 200m sprint (HR got up to like 187) and finished at 100%. It was awesome. I had only done a few 1-1.75m training runs beforehand, and some 400-800 interval work. Your schedule should be more than adequate, but I'd back off on some of the extra stuff, especially if you're not eating a ton.

As for race day prep...don't eat anything that doesn't agree with you the day before, and make sure you take care of your normal "morning routine" before the race. Be hydrated, avoid caffeine, and you'll be fine. Don't drink too much right before the race, it'll just slosh. I didn't drink anything during my race and was fine. I doubt it'll be very hot for you so I wouldn't worry about hydration during the race either. Monitor the color of your urine and make sure it's pretty clear before the race, ya know? Basic stuff.

Good luck!
Old 07-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #15
Ted Apollo

Profile:

thanks again for the advice.

jacob a few years ago i learned what was considered the 'optimum heart rate' and i used a monitor to find out where that was. and they used to say that going to high was actually antiproductive. so i learned how to stay in that range when i would exercise. but then when i came ot xfit and asked about heart rate here everyone was like 'who cares'. atleast my perception was to push as hard as i could all the time.

i understand i should pace myself in this race and will employ the idea of taking it easy early to finish strong. i guess i should invest in a monitor so i could gage where my best zone of performance is for myself?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #16
Ted Apollo

Profile:

I am a little over a week away from the race. i have stuck with my training plan and have increased the distance every week. i will do sprint work tommorow and then one final distance run on sunday (2.5 miles).

my question is what should i do the week before the race? rest? keep doing the wod's just not run? how many days of rest?

i really have appreciated everyone's input. last time this year there was no way i could see myself running in a distance race or competing in a triathlon in october. i love xfit.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #17
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I weight < 170lbs and I struggle with this runs (jogs!?). Seriously, I have no endurance, I've actually considered that it must be a body type of thing or something. Just like a few box jumps leave me out of breath, even slow jogging kills me, and I'm not that heavy, why is this? I tried running at a park, it's about 6km I believe... I only lasted 13 straight minutes. I had to walk a TON to finish the lap, it took me 41 minutes. I've walked this lap a few times, trying to walk fast (but still walking) in about 58 minutes. So the "running" time is pathetic really. It's not my legs that give in, it's my lungs, I feel burning from the inside while trying to keep going...

On a bicycle, a few months ago I did 3 laps of this same thing and didn't feel as tired as half a lap of "jogging" (I wouldn't call it running, not at that pace I set myself, so I could last longer before walking).
Old 08-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #18
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Findley View Post
Even if you are feeling good, don't go out fast.
Yes yes yes.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #19
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Apollo View Post
my question is what should i do the week before the race?
Don't get hurt.

Keep doing the WODs. Run once or twice if you want to. Come into the race fresh and rested. Above all, have fun with it. Record your time so you can crush it next year.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #20
Ted Apollo

Profile:

thanks for the advice again guys.

arturo running is my weakness that's why i have tried to push myself and set goals. this month i am doing the 5k and in october i am going to do a sprint triathlon. i used to have alot of trouble with my legs when i ran but then i learned about the pose technique. i feel like i could run half a marathon now (not really). just keep at it. mix in sprint work and hills.