CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-02-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Luke MacDonald

Profile:
Sharp Pain

In the front to top side of my shoulders ( both of them ) anytime I do anything relating to shoulders but mainly it gets real bad with any kind of thrusters, snatches, jerks, cleans.

I just started doing xfit about maybe three months ago, and before that have 0 experience with olifts. Could it be just getting used to those movements? Sometimes (like today) it keeps me from finishing the workout, which is really frustrating. any advice thanks
Old 07-03-2008, 06:23 AM   #2
Bryan McWilliams

Profile:
Re: Sharp Pain

Luke

No one can help you much without a better description of where the pain occurs.

I will tell you that I hit a similar problem some time back. I described it as shoulder pain, but it was actually high in the bicep. Rest alone did not resolve it.

I just left a trigger point session. Wow. The arm is better, and I feel like I'm high or something. If the pain seems muscular rather than joint related, see if you can find a massage therapist trained in trigger point therapy. I would see a well recommended massage therapist regardless. They just see and handle so much pain.

And DON't work/push through the pain...you will regret it. Pain is abnormal, and needs to be diagnosed and treated.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
Daren Marshall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke MacDonald View Post
In the front to top side of my shoulders ( both of them ) anytime I do anything relating to shoulders but mainly it gets real bad with any kind of thrusters, snatches, jerks, cleans.

I just started doing xfit about maybe three months ago, and before that have 0 experience with olifts. Could it be just getting used to those movements? Sometimes (like today) it keeps me from finishing the workout, which is really frustrating. any advice thanks
I'd agree with the trigger point session advice. Give it a go. It really can't hurt (well it does actually but it wont do any more damage). Neuromuscular pain referral to the anterior deltoid or middle may be caused by trigger points in the superspinatus, infraspinatus (the muscles that sit on the shoulder blade) or indeed delt itself.

I'm a remedial sports therapist and I treat heaps of clients who xfit and basically need that released off.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Michelle Duarte

Profile:

I had the same problem with my right shoulder. I was able to work through it so I never thought anything of it until 2 weeks ago. The WOD was snatches I felt a pain but kept increasing weight. When I woke up the next morning I was unable to lift my arm laterally, it lasted 3 days. When I went to the doctor he said it was a strain in my rotator cuff. Be careful, I'd hate for the same thing to happen to you.