CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 04-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
What's the source of the problem when one foot is turned out a little?

Hello folks,

If I randomly look down at moments throughout the day, it seems as if my right foot is turned outward just a little as compared to the left (or the left turned in I guess, not sure which).

What is the likely cause and solution of this? And what kind of person can solve this problem (somewhat skeptical of medical community for "small" stuff like this...mostly I just get tired of going through the whole story every time).

howard
Old 04-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: What's the source of the problem when one foot is turned out a little?

Your right hip {something-or-other-muscle} (don't ask me the name) is tight. I have the same thing. The root cause is likely a movement pattern you're doing, but it could originate anywhere in a number of places. For me it was a tight right ankle in dorsiflexion (think that's what it's called, basically if your knee is over your toes, bent in that direction, the opposite of "pointed toes"). Because it was tight, when I walked, I couldn't get it to full compression, so unconsciously to prevent myself from taking short strides on the right, I turned that foot out slightly to get a little bit more range on it. But because I turned it out, the turn started in the hip, which kept that aformentioned "something-or-other-muscle" in a short position, and it eventually got tight, and it likes to stay in that position now.

As far as who can fix it, a good Physical Therapist can track down the root cause and work to fix it. But make SURE they find out what is causing it, don't let them just loosen it up and not fix the original source of the problem
Old 04-27-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Christine Reinhart

Profile:

You may also want to consider seeing a chiropractor. A good one should be able to recognize postural asymmetries (something you have already done), identify the source/cause of the asymmetry, and with treatment, help to correct it. If for some reason the chiro is unable to correct the problem, a good one, should be able to refer you to someone with a different specialization that can help you. I have one leg that is slightly shorter than the other, which had caused all sorts of chaos in my alignment, but with the help of my CrossFit coach and my chiro, things seem to be evening out.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

If the knee is turned out it's most likely at the hip. If the knee is forward, then it's most likely at the ankle.

But yeah, get someone to check it out for you.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

Thanks folk,

It's good to hear that there are things that can be done about this. The ankle/knee distinction is interesting...I'll have my wife look at that and see if she can tell.

howard
Old 05-04-2008, 02:22 AM   #6
Amanda Faulks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
Your right hip {something-or-other-muscle} (don't ask me the name) is tight.
could it be the piriformis you are talking about?

Howard when you get your wife to look at your leg get her to do a full view postural as well. to make it easier to see any deviations hang a plumb line (string with a weight on the end) and stand with it hanging evenly between your feet for the front/back view and at your malleolus (ankle bump bone) for the side view. Then she can get an idea of where you are out of alignment. but remember none of us are symmetrical.
Amanda
Old 05-04-2008, 02:59 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Generally, outward rotation of the femur occurs because those muscles like glute medius are more dominant than the smaller muscles that rotate the femur in. The the lateral are more numerous.. thus stronger (well, more dominating muscles).

wfs (bottom two)
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Hip.html
Old 05-04-2008, 09:33 AM   #8
Amanda Faulks

Profile:

actually the glute medius while it does transverse abduction (away from midline) the femur in the coronal plane it medially or internally (towards midline) rotates the head of the femur in the hip joint ie: it helps those ladies who lie on their side on the floor and lift their leg up (very nice exercise for spot reduction at hips eh?) but it also turns the toes in, not out. The Piriformis, the GOGO's, glute max and very little from the posterior fibers of glute med turn the toes out. A good stretch for it is on this site stretch #3 [url="http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Stretch.htm"] (WFS) All these stretches are great, and remember to hold your stretches for at least 1-2 minutes to really release the muscles as well as the fascia.

Amanda
Old 05-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

Thanks folks,

I'm starting to think it is the left foot turning in vs the right foot turning out. I say this because sometimes when I walk I can feel the left foot wanting to turn in...kinda hard to describe.

howard
Old 05-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #10
Amanda Faulks

Profile:

Howard, never doubt yourself one of my instructors said "always listen to what your patients are saying, they may not have the fancy words but they know what is going on in their bodies."

If that is the case then I wold be looking at things happening at the knee and ankle.

Have you ever sprained that ankle before?