CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-20-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
Francisco Galarce Morales

Profile:
how many times puking

I have searched the forum on puking.. most thread are about the reason why people puke when excercising hard...

I just want to know if it is the intention to puke every time

Last thursday I puked twice... first halfway my workout.. then I continued and near the end again...
Friday I was almost puking put my body couldn't train as hard as thursday because I was still sore/stiff from the day before...

I felt great the a few hours later.. totally exhausted... but the question hit.. should I train every time till I puke?

oh btw.. I'm very happy doing crossfit or crossfit like workouts... I lost 15 pounds in three months (last three weeks on same weight because I got had arm injury from an armbar) and I feel stronger and faster... and just plain healthier

Last edited by Francisco Galarce Morales : 01-20-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Re: how many times puking

Puking is never a goal.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #3
Alex Woodland

Profile:

in the 5 years i've worked out i've never puked, sort out your pre workout meal/timings. puking is counter productive.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
Francisco Galarce Morales

Profile:

ok thank you
Old 01-21-2008, 11:13 PM   #5
Matt Callahan

Profile:

I don't think you should strive to puke, but learn when it is going to happen so you can balance the workouts for your own goals.

Many people say they don't puke, and that is great. Others of us puke all the time. When I rowed crew I puked all the time on land workouts. When I started crossfit I did the same thing. I puked almost every day I worked out. Things have gotten better after 6 months, and the things that seem to help a little include what you eat the night before a workout and the morning of a workout, and most importantly your hydration levels. Try to maintain constant hydration levels all the time. Figure out how much water to drink within each hour of the day and keep that constant. Routine is your friend if you tend to puke often.

I workout at 4:30 in the morning and wake up at 3:30 or 4:00. I have experimented with different amounts of protein powder drink and fruit juice and have found a good balance such that I'll just need some clif bar for longer workouts. Again, water is your friend.

Don't think it's terrible to puke though, despite what some will say because they never do it. If your hydration is off or you just do a crazy hard workout you will end up puking - oh well, your body just told you it's working really hard. Doing the multi puke sessions doesn't seem to help at all though, from my experience you should stop at the first puke session, and not try to continue. If you do you can get into this breakdown mode where you feel like crap the whole day, I've done it many times and it's no fun. Stopping at the first session is good, and don't tailor your workouts to try to puke, tailor your lifestyle to help prevent it :-)
Old 01-21-2008, 11:42 PM   #6
Alejandro Martinez

Profile:

I've always managed to narrowly miss a visit from Pukie. I just have to dial back a little bit if I feel like I'm really going to throw up. It usually happens if I ate junk food before a workout because it takes so damn long to digest. If I take care of myself, the most I get is some dry burps.

To be honest, I feel like puking is a waste of my food. Why bother carefully dieting if I'm going to throw it up during a workout?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:45 AM   #7
Alex Woodland

Profile:

not only is it wasting your food its also a unnecessary strain on the body, its not the end of the world but it shouldn't be seen as a positive at all.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:06 AM   #8
Derek Weaver

Profile:

There actually was a thread on this a couple of weeks back. I'm pretty sure it got fairly long with the replies.

As far as wasting food, that had never occured to me, but it makes sense that throwing up partially digested food not only impacts nutrition but also hydration.

Puking is a way for your body to tell you that it's past it's limit. Not the end of the world if it happens, but I would never suggest a puke and rally. Certainly other healthier ways to prove mental toughness and fortitude.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #9
Chuck Penzenik

Profile:

when i went to college to play football my first several wo's ended with puking. it took me a few weeks too long to figure out that i had to have a 3 hour rule. no food within 3hours of a wo. also, there was no slowing down if i felt sick, there was a trainer pushing us along from exercise to exercise in our high intensity program. we just had to puke and rally. i also was careful about water intake during a workout. a lot of times i would just rinse my cotton mouth with water and spit it out just to wet the whistle so to speak. i have felt on the verge of puking since college but i haven't done it since then.