CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-10-2003, 11:33 AM   #1
David Cooke, Jr.

Profile:
If you use clubbells, how do they fit into your exercise program and what do you do with them? What effects have you noticed in your life using them?
Thank you,

David Cooke
Old 08-11-2003, 01:53 PM   #2
David Heyer

Profile:
As with most equipment, I made my own. I took two cheap plastic fat orange wiffleball bats from wal-mart, slit an "X" in the end of the handle and filled with sand. This takes a while, is messy and you must tap the bat down on a hard surface to get the sand to settle. The last 2-3 inches are filled with all purpose epoxy/sealant. Let the epoxy dry overnight. They weigh 12lbs. each. It doesn't sound like much until you start to swing them.
I assume you could fill them with lead shot used for loading shotgun shells. This would weigh a lot more, but may be unsafe.

I generally just play with the clubbells. I think they are a great piece of equipment, especially for forearm and grip strength.

One particular exercise I like is to do is swing the clubs up to shoulder level, hold and squat. Once standing, swing down and repeat numerous times. Watch your shins on the way down.

Train Hard!
Dave
Old 08-11-2003, 07:17 PM   #3
Tyler Hass

Profile:
David,
I have a pair of Clubbells and unfortunately, I only use them about once or twice a month. I have so many other things going on.
They offer a good challenge for your grip strength and will improve your shoulder flexibility.
The only downside is that they do very little to strengthen your hips. They have tried to overcome this by adding a lot of full squats into the exercises, but even with two 15 pounders, it's still like squatting 30 pounds. While it is much harder on your grip and wrists, your hips don't know the difference.
I would recommend getting the video first to see if this type of thing is for you.
In general, I try to mix clubbells with sprinting, because they tax opposite muscle groups. I find that doing clubbells and kettlebells or rings concurrently is overload on my grip and tends to decrease the quality of my workouts. As a result, I tend to use the kettlebells and rings a lot, and the clubs very seldom.
Leverage lifting is cool though and it will appeal to a lot of people. There is also a cool family of exercises called casts that are pretty interesting.

Tyler
Power Athletes Magazine- www.powerathletesmag.com
Old 08-16-2003, 11:49 AM   #4
Geoff Sample

Profile:

My experience is along the lines of what Tyler wrote. I made my own clubbells (PVC - made the handles 1 1/2 inches, then used a reducing fitting to transition to 3" pipe at the end so they would be heavier, filled with sand first then modified them with some lead shot at the far end for more weight). They have a real nice feel and are a great grip challenge, but I don't use them that often because the bang for the buck is not there for me right now. Nothing wrong with them, they just drain my gripping ability that I want to use in other movements and exercises.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:09 PM   #5
Tyler Hass

Profile:
I just had an interesting realization about Clubbells. There is a movement called the armpit cast, which is almost exactly like a standing front flip. Okay, you don't actually jump, but it strengthens the setting movement that you use for the standing front. And this is the most important part in my experience.
To cast, you start with the club in front of you, elbow at hip, clubbell pointing straight up. From here, you guide the tip of the clubbell over your shoulder and the rest of the club follows. You end up in a back scratching position (although I don't recommend scratching your back with a clubbell). To initiate the cast, you powerfully curl your chest forward and pull your hands back to the starting position.
I have been working on standing fronts quite a bit lately and have found the similarities to be quite striking. The main similarity is that you do not fold at the waist and lower your chest. Instead, you lift up while curling your chest forward. In the front flip this gives you rotation without compromising height.
I plan to train this movement much more regularly.
I will report back in a few weeks with my results. It should be an interesting experiment.
One thing that I did not say in my post above is that there is a lot of depth to Clubbell training and a huge variety of movements that can be done. Last week, all I had were my clubbells because I had just moved into my apartment and couldn't fit my kettlebells into the car. It gave me a chance to focus on clubbells for a while and I have to say that I am really digging the clubbells once again. I was very enthusiastic when I started them, but then I had a case of pneumonia, recovered, got into gymnastics, etc. I sort of put the CBs on the backburner. It will be interesting to see how things work out and I really want to nail that standing front.
Another good exercise for training this movement would be forward throwing a medicine ball from overhead. However, I don't have a medicine ball or a place to throw them.

Tyler