CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #41
Lee Weisenberger

Profile:
Re: Breyers every night (seriously), explain this

1/5 to 1/3 of a box each night??? so your eating like 3-5 servings a night, just want to be clear so I can follow you

My 1.75 quart container of Breyers oreo says it has 14 servings.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:08 AM   #42
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weisenberger View Post
1/5 to 1/3 of a box each night??? so your eating like 3-5 servings a night, just want to be clear so I can follow you

My 1.75 quart container of Breyers oreo says it has 14 servings.
Pretty much. That's what it's been lately anyhow, although I think I could get away with 1/5 of a box or so, but lately I've just been hungry.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:11 AM   #43
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:

This prompts a few questions

- Is it the ice cream itself, or would an equal load of carbs/fat/protein with a similar glycemic load have the same effect?

- Does it make a difference if you eat the ice cream at night as your final meal, or can it be eaten at different hours with the same effect? (i.e. is it the timing and the meal, or is it the meal by itself?)

- Is it some ingredient in Breyer's that makes a difference? Or conversely, something Breyer's lacks that other ice creams/other foods have that makes it work this way? What other ice creams will this work with (different brands, homemade ice cream, etc.)?

- How much do we get to eat?

I'm very curious, because I like ice cream but I've been avoiding it as "junk food" recently (I'm dropping weight for a fight) and I also have no access to Breyer's...
Old 11-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #44
Adam Kayce

Profile:

Amazing story... and the folks who've said "low GI" are right...

I was reading this thread earlier today, and then just happened to pick up "Mastering the Zone" tonight; the following is excerpted from pages 17 and 18:
... it was found that the sugar in ice cream was entering the bloodstream far more slowly than complex carbohydrates found in a bagel. What was going on? It turns out that a lot of things were.
First, let's look at table sugar. Table sugar is composed of half glucose and half fructose, which is quickly broken down into both simple sugars. The glucose half is rapidly absorbed and enters the bloodstream quickly because it is already in the form your body can use. Fructose, although rapidly absorbed, has to be converted into glucose in the liver before it enters the bloodstream in the useable form of glucose. And this is a very slow process. The end result is that the overall rise of blood glucose is retarded. Since fruits primarily contained fructose, they have a very low glycemic index and stimulate insulin production far less than other carbohydrates, such as grains or starches...
Then consider ice cream, which also has a low glycemic index. The fat in the ice cream acts as a control rod, slowing the entry of any carbohydrates into the bloodstream. That's why the sugar in ice cream enters the bloodstream at a much slower rate than the glucose in a bagel.(emphasis mine)
I'm off to see how my favorite brands of ice cream compare to Breyers (Breyers is good, but Turkey Hill is amazing...)!
Old 11-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #45
Chris Bate

Profile:

Just out of curiosity, can someone who has Breyer's post a list of the ingredients - or maybe the top 15? I would be interested in seeing if "high fructose" or "partially hydrogenated" anything is on the list.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:09 AM   #46
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bate View Post
Just out of curiosity, can someone who has Breyer's post a list of the ingredients - or maybe the top 15? I would be interested in seeing if "high fructose" or "partially hydrogenated" anything is on the list.
I found this:

http://www.breyers.com/products/prod...7567-25423&b=1 (wfs).

Ingredients listed for vanilla are:
INGREDIENTS: MILK, CREAM, SUGAR, NATURAL FLAVOR, NATURAL TARA GUM
Old 11-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #47
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dell'Orto View Post
I found this:

http://www.breyers.com/products/prod...7567-25423&b=1 (wfs).

Ingredients listed for vanilla are:
INGREDIENTS: MILK, CREAM, SUGAR, NATURAL FLAVOR, NATURAL TARA GUM
[homer]

uhhuhuh, natural flavor, uhhuhuh
*drools*

[/homer]
Old 11-25-2007, 09:28 AM   #48
Rod Gates

Profile:

If I remember correctly, chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry looked pretty clean. However, when you start adding things like brownies, cookies etc the ingredient list obviously quickly grows. I'm no nutrition expert, but I would look more closely if your favorites include the varieties with "mixin's" in them. Happy snacking!

Rod
Old 11-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #49
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Cookie Dough has the following:
NGREDIENTS: ICE CREAM: MILK, CREAM, SUGAR, NATURAL FLAVOR, NATURAL TARA GUM. CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE DOUGH PIECES: UNENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR, SUGAR, BROWN SUGAR, PALM OIL, WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, CHOCOLATE LIQUOR, SALT, COCOA BUTTER, CORN STARCH, NATURAL FLAVOR, SOY LECITHIN, BAKING SODA, BETA CAROTENE (FOR COLOR), VITAMIN A PALMITATE. CHOCOLATE FLAVORED CHIPS: SUGAR, COCONUT OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), MILK FAT, SOY LECITHIN, NATURAL FLAVOR.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #50
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dell'Orto View Post
This prompts a few questions

- Is it the ice cream itself, or would an equal load of carbs/fat/protein with a similar glycemic load have the same effect?

- Does it make a difference if you eat the ice cream at night as your final meal, or can it be eaten at different hours with the same effect? (i.e. is it the timing and the meal, or is it the meal by itself?)

- Is it some ingredient in Breyer's that makes a difference? Or conversely, something Breyer's lacks that other ice creams/other foods have that makes it work this way? What other ice creams will this work with (different brands, homemade ice cream, etc.)?

- How much do we get to eat?

I'm very curious, because I like ice cream but I've been avoiding it as "junk food" recently (I'm dropping weight for a fight) and I also have no access to Breyer's...
All great questions, and I think if we seriously want to pursue this further, they should be looked into. Anyone want to head up the "Breyers every night" experiment?