CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 03-02-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
James Besenyei

Profile:
I don't know if any of you have seen this yet, but Liddell appears totally out of it in this interview. Partying too hard? Is that just part of the job description being a high profile athlete? I mean I've seen meltdowns like this in other sports as well, but I'm surprised Liddell put himself in this situation. Here's the Work/Family safe link to the video: http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=125084&catId =104

I guess my question to all those in Crosspit would be: Is this just Chuck Liddell being a pro athlete who likes to party, or is it indicative of more profound issues within professional MMA (i.e., the many steroid & drug abuse scandals within the sport)? I know this is not limited to MMA or combat sports in general, one only has to look to Barry Bonds to realize that, but I am curious what those of you inside the sport think about these issues. Thanks.

--Jim.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Wow
Old 03-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
Ted Wu

Profile:
hahahahaha. that has got to be the funniest interview ive ever seen in my life. I think hes just hung over or maybe high. I doubt he would be stupid enough to take steroids.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
James Besenyei

Profile:
I'd be more likely to say still drunk from a bender or from using other substances, not steroids, if he was on roids he'd probably at least be awake!!! Hopefully he's awake enough to train for his next title defense, Liddell is such a good fighter I'd hate to see him go down this road.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:35 AM   #5
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:
I would say, still on something. I too am surprised that Chuck would show for an interview in that condition. Wow. Not likely an alcohol hangover based on the way he was acting. Who knows, but falling asleep during???? WAY out of character.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:26 AM   #6
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
He said in an interview that he's sick and took nyquil the day before to try to fall asleep, and barely got any. Funny as h:censored: though.

(Message edited by jay123 on March 03, 2007)
Old 03-03-2007, 07:12 AM   #7
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Maybe the whole bottle of nyquil.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:09 AM   #8
James Besenyei

Profile:
I've been sick before, even took almost a whole bottle of Nyquil, got very little sleep, and I was still coherent enough to talk and go to work without incident. I have to agree with Bryan too, upon looking at the vid again, probably not an alcohol hangover.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Dana White in the UFC 68 post fight interview, "The people around Chuck are F&c*ing idiots!"

Old 03-05-2007, 06:53 AM   #10
David Stegman

Profile:
Bryan, how do you know it's way out of character for Chuck to behave like that? You don't hang out with him on a daily basis do you?

I'm not trying to pick on you I just wanted to point out the fact that most have no idea how a "celebrity" or "pro athlete" really behaves until they get caught like this. For all you know Chuck is like that all the time when not training....or.....that was a once in a lifetime drunken binge.