CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
Jeff Gentry

Profile:
Well for some odd reason today i stumbled on a website about recess at school's and then i downloaded the first half of the frist x-fit radio broadcast and someone, i do not remember who, called in asking about how old kid's should be to start working out(paraphrase).

It got me thinking how have we strayed so far from being kid's and having fun doing thing's such as running, jumping, climbing, wrestling, throwing thing's ie skipping rock's, fetch with the dog?

I tell people i work with "The only reason i have a job is to finance my fun", I was never realy good at any sport's i ran for about 15 year's, i rock and ice climbed for about 4 year's, I rode bull's for about 5 year's, i have been Kayaking about 6 year's, doing martial art's for about 3 year's, i dove for about 2 year's(scuba), and am still interested in alot of other weird/crazy sport's that look again like alot of fun.

I just do not understand how so many people can find nothing fun and healthy to do that is both good for them and again fun except sitting on there couch watching tv.

Any thought's on this?

Jeff
Old 03-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
Peter Queen

Profile:
I believe that a lot of is based on habitual behavior based on personalities, upbringing, influences, ect. Your A-type or even B+ type individuals are high energy individuals with a thirst for knowledge and excitement. These go-getters will not shy away from challenges or anything that looks hard or strange because their thirst and drive will propel them into the unknown and they will emerge, perhaps battle-worn and scared, but with a new vision and more enlightened and enriched perspective. Exercise is the same frontier that hi-energy people will migrate towards because it offers yet another area of challenges in which the individuals can pursue new and harder to obtain goals that will give them newer and more enhanced benefits in their lives. People will often ask me why I work out so hard and I respond by saying “I work out for life, so I will be ready for whatever it throws at me”. When I was growing out I and my friends stayed outside until our parents had to actually come looking for us with a belt or a switch, (yeah I was raised old school style and it kept my but out of a lot of trouble, so laugh if you want). TV was only something that we looked at when it was raining or if we were home sick with a cold. I have to sometimes make my kids go outside to play. I am glad at least that when I have time I can usually go out and play with them or go on hikes and interact with them in many ways without looking for oxygen.

I just do not understand how so many people can find nothing fun and healthy to do that is both good for them and again fun except sitting on there couch watching tv.

It is a perplexing thought to ponder. But without the proper motivation I guess anybody can be a couch potato. I choose to stay in shape for many good reasons but I also do it because my ego will not allow it. That’s also my motivation.
Again, these are my thoughts only based on my own experiences.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
To clarify: My ego will not allow my body to get fat and soft.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #4
Jonathan Kessler

Profile:
Jeff, you raise some interesting questions, which could take the conversation in a lot of directions. For example our society has a huge degree of "market driven", so "that which makes us consume products" is what gets done. Lightweight pursuits, often healthier, are not really pushed, as they don't bring a big profit to an organized interest.

Having fun is key. The CF adage "it doesn't have to be fun to be fun" is perhaps a core level bond in this community - we enjoy pushing ourselves.

Most of the training I do and the activities I pursue I do because I enjoy them. I have stayed more or less fit throughout my life because I like working out. Not because (or not only because) I am "disciplined", though it may look that way from the outside.

Works for me.

Fortunately, enough people share my warped sense of fun that I can get together with folks like Larry and hit each other with sticks. Now THAT's fun.

JK
Old 03-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
Not sure I can shed any light on Jeff's question, but the kids I see are sooo serious. I live at the beach and we have a huge influx of tourists in the summer. Tons of walkers and joggers, especially in the morning. The past couple years I have been seeing more and more kids out running. Kids 10-14. Some even younger.
I am torn. On one hand--good for them. outside. getting exercise. bravo. on the other hand, as Jeff said, why aren't they out PLAYING--pick up games, watersports, monkey bars?
Old 03-09-2006, 11:05 PM   #6
Jeff Gentry

Profile:
Like Peter said I just can't see myself being fat and old, Old is inevitable i can do something about getting fat.

Maybe it is a personality thing and some just have a thirst for adventure and exploration, so are willing to take up a challenge or try a strange sport.
I am not that old and i too was outside all the time from early morning until dark.

Has our society become so driven by marketing and if it isn't advertised on tv, radio, or some sort of mass media people just aren't willing to get out and do something, most kid's i've seen are full of energy and want to run, jump climb tree's, swim, etc. i just wonder what has happened to go from a healthy active child to waht alot of people have become couch potatoe's.

Jeff
Old 03-10-2006, 04:30 AM   #7
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
lots of things have happened--lawsuits (if someone gets hurt on a play ground for example) and lack of free time are some of the biiggest offenders i can think of. kids are always either in school or doing extracuricular activities to "pad their resumes" and improve their chances of acceptance to "good" programs, athletic, academic or otherwise. pressure to "succeed" is intense. there is no room on a resume for "climbs a mean tree", "escaped a bull i a field", or "truly visionary in the cloud-gazing department". pressure is continuous and when the pressure comes off, mkost people, kids included, want nothing more that to sit and veg out for awhile. unfortunately, we, as a society get so little leisure time, that kids never lay around so long they get bored and have to discover running, jumping etc. they collapse and have to get themselves right back together for the next act--school on monday, tryouts tuesday afternoon, deadline for termpaper wed, etc.

and don't even get me started about what happens when kids play and, god forbid, someone skins a knee, knocks out a tooth, or falls from the monkey bars...

just my .02
Old 03-10-2006, 06:46 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
"I just do not understand how so many people can find nothing fun and healthy to do that is both good for them and again fun except sitting on there couch watching tv." How about those same people walking on the treadmill for 20 minutes, watching TV, reading the paper, and answering the cell phone...what, your too freaking busy to do one thing at a time! It's those same a-holes who have their kids in traveling baseball, football, and basketball, piano, speed camp, accelerated reading, martial arts, art awareness, advanced computer graphics, all at the same time (oh ya, fall baseball and traveling soccer, weight training and speed skating camp)...and the kids are freaking 10 years old! I started organized sports when I was in middle school (grades 6-8), I didn't have decent instruction until I was in high school. In the 60s and 70s my parents just didn't ever conceive of paying for sports, no less equipment...my dad a product of the depression and World War II, threw money around like sewer covers (and incidentally paid off our house and bought a new car every 4 years, for cash...he couldn't spell credit card). Part of this is the media hyping child molestation, abuse, and kidnapping. I can't let Johnny out of my sight or someone is going to snatch and kill him...we can't lock him in the closet, so let's sign him up for tons of activities to keep him busy.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:58 AM   #9
Peter Queen

Profile:
“and don't even get me started about what happens when kids play and, god forbid, someone skins a knee, knocks out a tooth, or falls from the monkey bars...”

That’s a good point Kathryn. Some of you might gasp with shock and horror but I did not force my kids to wear a helmet when they went out bike riding. Granted, we now live in a smaller town where the members of the community actually obey the speed limit.…oh my, who would have thunk it. Helmets when I was a kid were for, and no offense intended, special needs children. Not to mention my girls hair is so thick and curly I could not find one stupid helmet that could fit their heads anyway, trust me I tried every freaking brand out their. Competitive bike riding definitely requires a helmet or if you live in a busy town perhaps. But I feel that bike helmets should not be made big deal if you are just going out for a leisurely ride around the neighborhood, sorry that’s my old school attitude speaking out again so please no angry responses and yes I do care about my kid’s safety. I am just not going to get bent out of shape over every little thing. Life is just too short to be that overly paranoid.
Free time, like you also stated Kathryn, is definitely something that reflects back on the parents. You do not have to fill every waking hour with some structured activity. If the child does not have an outlet for free and independent activities,(free play time) then they may not ever realize all of their true potential base on their own imaginations. So OK, some of you might not like that, but there are always variant degrees of parenting and that is just one aspect that I support, so again no hate mail.
Kathryn, I also see kids playing outside in my neighborhood and it is great. However as Jeff pointed out…”Has our society become so driven by marketing and if it isn't advertised on tv, radio, or some sort of mass media people just aren't willing to get out and do something,” I feel that our society has slipped into a media fed quick fix mindset and know one seems to know how to relax a little and take a few breaths. There was a well known saying when I was growing up in the 60’s and 70’s that said…”Stop and Smell the Roses”. Do we still do that anymore. I do when I am enjoying my CF activities. That is my positive and fun escape from the couch and tv remote with the beer and chips.

“In the 60s and 70s my parents just didn't ever conceive of paying for sports, no less equipment...my dad a product of the depression and World War II, threw money around like sewer covers (and incidentally paid off our house and bought a new car every 4 years, for cash...he couldn't spell credit card).”

Hey Larry, are you sure we are not brothers? Because, that sure as hell sounds a lot like my father.

“I can't let Johnny out of my sight or someone is going to snatch and kill him...we can't lock him in the closet, so let's sign him up for tons of activities to keep him busy”
That’s funny but I agree with your point. My kids are in some organized activities as well as in school orchestra, but that is because they want to be and not because we pushed the point. I also allow them to have some down time as well.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:03 AM   #10
Peter Queen

Profile:
Fortunately, enough people share my warped sense of fun that I can get together with folks like Larry and hit each other with sticks. Now THAT's fun
Oh yeah I forgot about Johnathan. I think what we all consider fun might be extreme to most mere mortals. And having fun is something that I also agree with as being a key factor in any activity worth doing.