CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
Brendan Sonnichsen

Profile:
I want to discuss Coach's suggestion that we be a "destination location" because I'm considering a location that is about an 8 minute drive outside the city limits in a small suburb. No bus service. This, not being on anybody's way to or from work (except those who live in the suburb and work in the city), would be out of the way for anybody in the city.

What are the experiences of CrossFit gyms who have chosen to be "destination locations"? How far will people come on a regular basis (4 times a week)?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Brendan Sonnichsen

Profile:
LOL... I am *so* embarrassed about that subject line. Yikes.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
LOL...*how* embarassed? I'll fix it for a very reasonable fee...:smiley_evilGrin:
Old 01-24-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Def would make life much easier to have clients prior to opening the doors. With that said, I'm sure most CrossFitters will not have a problem driving a little out of the way to CrossFit. For the rest of the mainstream type - fat and lazy ones, it might be a problem. Then again, you don't want those people anyway. I think, the dedicated members (the foundation of your gym) will find you.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
Joe Marsh

Profile:
Brendan, it's interesting you bring this up. I just met with a SDBC rep earlier today and he mentioned that a facility should be "easily accesible". I understood where he was coming from in that he is expecting a Curves or Fitness for Life type of business. This type of trianing obviously does not fall into this category. Those who understand what CrossFit is would be willing to drive a little to get to a CrossFit dedicated facility. Those who do not understand it are better off at Globogym and all of their "easily accesible" locations.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Crossfit style is a niche market in training...people will drive if thats what they want.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

I think this may be somewhat "culturally" dependent . . . different places have different standards for what is an acceptable travel distance.

That said, I think you genuinely have to create enough value that people will be willing to travel to get to you. I know lots of guys who would not travel for a workout, but who drive up to an hour each way twice a week to train with a specific martial arts teacher . . . the difference is "instruction" and not just "a workout".

I think you need to create that same difference.

As an example of the differences from place to place: I had the good fortune to visit with CrossFit London last week, and was quite surprised to hear Andrew assert that Londoners just wouldn't travel for a workout . . . it had to be walkable. (This, despite a marvelous (to Americans) public transit system (albeit a *very* expensive one . . . in effect, $7.50 for an all day pass)).

But, I checked out his assertion with my own friends there, and they pretty much all agreed . . . none of them would drive or take transit in order to train . . . it had to be within a 5-minute walk. However, note that none of them are CF material, though.

The old joke about the difference between Europeans and Americans:

A) Americans think that 100 years is a long time.
B) Europeans think that 100 miles is a long way.

For myself, I know that having a gym that's 10 minutes from my work significantly improves my workout rate . . . I've changed gyms pretty much every time I've changed jobs.

But that's just for "working out". I would happily drive into NYC (1 hour +) on weekends to train with CF NYC and get the jolt of camraderie and instruction.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #8
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
As a CFer what I can I say. I have the luxury of traveling into NYC nearly daily to train CF style. Before I did the same for yoga. Now I actually mix the two but wouldnt have it any other way. I am now so dependent on NYC, I shop there, have my massage ppl there, even do my MD appts there (rarely) etc.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
Justin Algera

Profile:
I would go pretty far...Especially if I had a car. Luckily now CFNYC is open and I can just hop on the N and Im there :-)
Old 01-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #10
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
yeah but you still have to come into NYC Justin from Queens. Still time and effort. Its not down your block!