CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-21-2005, 09:44 AM   #1
Michael Jay

Profile:  
I am intertested in opening a Crossfit facility in Spokane, WA., and would like to incorporate a mental health element with it. I am a mental health professional, as well as a Crossfit'er. In Spokane, mental health services have taken a big financial hit, and we need a new approach to working with those needing services. There are great studies showing the benefits of physical exercise in the reduction of depression, comparable to the results of med therapy. Considering the costs and benefits, it seems like this might have some potential. Does anyone know of another facility doing this? Any feedback is welcome!
MJ
Old 11-21-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Hi Michael-

I know that there are some professionals around here (Phoenix) who recommend exercise as an adjunt therapy, but I'm not aware of anyone who oversees the exercise, or a facility which offers both. My understanding is that there are challenges with managed healthcare (ie., a mental health professional is not an exercise professional), so most will just recommend exercise, or even refer clients to a gym/trainer (but on an un-official basis).

It is kind of surprising with the volume of research out there (North et al, Craft et al, etc.) that exercise isn't recognized as a valid therapeutic modality. Hopefully multi-taskers like yourself can bridge that gap.

Please keep us updated on your efforts--I'd love to see you make it happen. Good Luck!

Ken
Old 11-21-2005, 01:31 PM   #3
Skip Chase

Profile:
Greetings Michael,
I am a CrossFitter/trainer/affiliate in Mount Vernon, WA. I am not a mental health professional. However, I am more than aware of the benefits of exercise as it relates to mental health. All new clients complete a Par-Q and a health history questionaire, to include a question on current medications. It is alarming how many people are taking anti-depressants. I do not have the facts in front of me, but a large % of the overweight and obese suffer from low self-esteem/depression.
I am happy to say many clients are able to be 'weaned' from the anti-depressants within 2-6 months after beginning training.

Like valiums during the 80's, it seems today anti-depressants are prescribed like m&m's.

You will 'save'/change a lot of lives as a mental health pro/CrossFit affiliate. Keep us posted on your successes!
Old 11-22-2005, 02:11 AM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Hi Michael,

I am also a mental health professional. What I have noticed is that there are more trainer's professional journals talking about doing "life counseling". So, you work with someone on their exercise plan, their nutrition, and help them in making life choices. It might be a niche for you. For the moment, I am not going to go that direction. I see a lot of improvement in mental health simply when folks get off their butts. Let me know how it goes though.

This might be something to look into getting a grant for as well, if you haven't thought about that already. There has got to be a ton of grants out there for helping the obese lose weight in the current political climate and as a mental health professional plus a trainer, you would be perfect.

Beth

(Message edited by beth_moscov on November 22, 2005)
Old 11-22-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Beth's grant idea might be interesting (if you can wade through the paperwork and applications).

Along those lines, I don't know if Eastern or Gonzaga have counseling/clinical psych programs, but you might be able to link in with some research there. Educational institutions seem to have an easier time finding grant money than the average Joe. Just a thought. If nothing else, you might be able to get a grad student to write up a review of literature or do some groundwork if you want to seek funding.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:15 AM   #6
Michael Jay

Profile:  
Thanks to each of you for the feedback. I am encouraged about the potential. I have given some thought about applying for grants, and I think I am going to do some investigating into what is available. Thanks again!! :happy:
Old 11-22-2005, 11:58 AM   #7
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Michael

The Foundation Center is a very helpful tool for finding grants. There is quite a lot available online for free though you can pay a small yearly fee and be able to spend your life searching for grants!

Old 11-22-2005, 02:34 PM   #8
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Please keep us in the loop with this--I'll be very interested to see which direction this goes. I'm a Sports Psych guy, and relatively familiar with the research in this area (as of 4 or 5 years ago, at least :happy:). Beth might be a better resource, but if you want to get an opinion or bounce some ideas off of somebody, I love to talk shop!
Old 11-23-2005, 01:16 AM   #9
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Ken, maybe we all need a conference call after thanksgiving to talk a bit about how we can help each other. The research will be needed to write a successful grant. I am not up on the research as I haven't done any psych stuff professionally in 10 years. But I CAN guide someone in writing a grant and maybe we could pull this off together and get something for all of us?

anyone interested in trying this, write me a private email (in my profile) and I will get back to you after thanksgiving.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:40 AM   #10
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Beth-

I tried to email you to the address in your profile, and it came back as undeliverable. Perhaps my lysdexia?

Anyway, I'm up for helping out wherever I can.