CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 05-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Curtis Nelson

Profile:
I'll start by saying to all of you out there that I love this site and the continued study of health and fitness.

My question is for any past athletes out there who can give their personal opinion of Crossfit after starting and how you have benefited from the workouts?

No offense to anyone but I'm really interested in getting feedback on past athletes, their workouts before Crossfit and the results after strictly adhering to a Crossfit workout.

I ask this because I have always been in above average shape compared to anyone who goes to the gym or trains with me. I have yet to just do Crossfit in my training regime. I have always used plyometrics and supersets combined with weights to get my cardiovascular workouts instead of just running, biking, etc.

I love the Crossfit workouts but find it hard to just do the Crossfit WOD's just by themselves in order to stay in shape. Basically, I am looking for unbiased encouragement from anyone out there who can give me some support.

I would love to hear about your goals when first starting Crossfit and the gains in which you received after sticking with it for a long period of time. Bodyfat loss, strength gains, cardio gains, etc.

The reason I say I would like to hear from other athletes is because I feel that most people who just start any workout or life change without doing much in the past will see good results if they used to be sitting around or eating unhealthy before starting said workout or diet. I hope that doesn't offend the community. I hope everyone knows that my questions come from a good place without any malice in my heart.

Any comments
Old 05-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Curtis, I got your email ... I keep a journal (bottom of the journal section) that pretty much describes everything ... how I stumbled on CrossFit, how I've improved, etc. I know it's a lot to go through, but I'm too lazy to find and post exact numbers from before/after. ;)

Essentially, I'm the strongest, most conditioning, and most athletic I've EVER been ... and I wasn't exactly a slouch before I showed up. CrossFit works. Period.

And your post isn't offensive ... it's a fair question. But what do you have to lose? Unless you're an elite athlete preparing for 2008, take 3-6 months and experiment. If it's not your thing, what have you lost? Just go back to your previous routine and you'll be back on track in no time.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Curtis Nelson

Profile:
Anthony,

Thanks for the post. I will go take a gander at your journal for sure.

You are right about making a test run on the switch. What do I have to lose? Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your father. I hope he comes through once again.

Stay strong.

Best wishes,
Curtis
Old 05-28-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
Curtis,
I will offer this as a way of testimonial. A fairly high number of people who post here are in the regular military, law enforcement, and SpecOps/SpecWar communitites. I don't know if they qualify as "athletes" in your definition, but they're not couch potatoes. I found CF from a friend in SpecWar community - I have met large numbers of people in the military who have come onto CF and thrived, as have I.

As Anthony B notes, what have you got to lose from a 3-6 month trial. I'm going to post my numbers and results seprately as I just went past 18 months of CF'ing. FWIW, my DL went from around 200lb to 430, as just one example. I was a 5 sport athlete in HS, and a Marine officer for 15 years. I have a black belt in jujitsu and train regularly. The differences for me have been incredible.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:32 AM   #5
Herb Sampson

Profile:
Curtis:
The differences for me have also been incredible. i played D1 football and managed gyms in the midwest for 10+ years. now at 40+ i'm in better shape than i was in all the years after football.

not only am i in better shape, but those pains that i thought were caused by football (e.g. knee, lower back, shoulders) are gone. now that i squat deep, OHS, do ring push-ups vs. benching 3x a week, i'm pain free. based on results from a recent powerlifting meet, i'm also stronger. i'm as strong as i was in my 20s (not saying alot as i was not the strongest then, but you know what i mean).

i started CF about a year ago, witht the thought that i'd give it a year to see what happnes. give it a try. you'll be surprised what you will become.