CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-21-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
Jared Renfroe

Profile:  
I seem to have injured the medial epicondyle on my left elbow. Don’t know when I hurt it, but pull-ups (although I can only do a few) hurt something fierce. It hurts on supinated, pronated (?), and mixed grip. The pain also lasts for several days. Not good for pull-up friendly CrossFit. Will start icing it according to Rob Wolf’s suggestion in another thread. Don’t know yet how much this will alleviate the pain.

Has anyone had any experience with parallel grip pull-ups? Wondered if these would alleviate the pain. I work out at home and don’t have the equipment to perform these. I imagine someone will suggest power rings. I have thought of this, but am open to all suggestions.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Just face sideways and put one hand in front of the other on the bar. Ta-da, you have the equipment to perform (at least one version of) parallel-grip pull-ups! Don't know if it'll do your elbow any good...

Old 03-21-2005, 05:10 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Won't help much; I have had CrossFit-induced medial epicondylitis for going on a year now. Zero pullups, muscle-ups, cleans, rope climbing/towel pullups and deadlifts would probably help. I don't know for sure; I keep doing 'em and it keeps hurting. Rings are actually worse for pullups for me. Active Release Therapy has gotten it close to well, but the WOD's don't provide enough time between damaging impacts to allow for healing.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
Jared Renfroe

Profile:  
Carrie:
I have tried pull-ups that way as well and it seems to place a lot of stress on my elbow.

Lynne:
Sorry to hear you are also sharing in the pain. Hope you are able to heal.

On another note, I recently purchased a Flex Band to assist in my pull-up numbers (I can only manage about 3 strict).

It seems the Flex Band (Thanks CF Journal) still gives me a good workout, lets me do more reps, and my elbow has not hurt the last 2 times I used them. Go figure. When able, I will start weaning off the Flex Band.