CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-22-2004, 04:30 AM   #1
Paul Symes

Profile:
Hi

Well I'm a few weeks into my Crossfit training and my back's killing me again. I went to a physio who has said my problems are:

1/ When I walk my pelvis tilts forward
2/ When I walk my hip abductors aren't lifting my leg, my lower back is trying to lift it, causing the pain in my hip

He thinks this is due to weak glutes and abductors and my mind has switched over to using the wrong muscles for walking.

He's given me a course of treatment and exercises to do at home. I'm just wondering if anyone has some advice to offer. I'm unemployed at the moment and having to pay for this on credit card, which will be money well spent if it fixes the problem but I want to be sure I'm going about it the right way.

I thought squatting was strengthening that area but maybe I was wrong, would lunges be better?

If anyone has had a similar problem, what kind of results did you get and what kind of treatment did you undergo?

Some of you might remember another post of mine where I explained that I can't deadlift. I always wondered why I hurt my back deadlifting such light weights. Maybe it was my problem manifesting itself rather than actually being the problem

thanks
Paul
Old 09-22-2004, 07:12 AM   #2
Donald Woodson

Profile:

"1/ When I walk my pelvis tilts forward
2/ When I walk my hip abductors aren't lifting my leg, my lower back is trying to lift it, causing the pain in my hip."

Paul, I'm definately not a physiology expert, but if the doctor told me something like that, I'd be looking at my abs and hip flexors, and concentrating on situps and flutter kicks to pull my pelvis in line. I almost sounds like you may be heading for degenerated discs too.
But someone with a lot more knowledge than me is bound to post a response soon.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:49 AM   #3
Paul Symes

Profile:
Thanks for your advice. My spine was also checked by an osteo who seemed to think that it was fine and the problem was muscular, strength/flexability. Well I hope my disks are ok anyway.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:01 AM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Go for a daily 0.5 or 1 mile walk. Consciously tilt your pelvis back (contract your abs.) Walk as tall as you can. I do this as often as possible; it's more tiring than you'd expect, especially if you have bad posture.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:35 PM   #5
Brian Hand

Profile:

Paul, I do think lunges can help correct the problem you are describing, especially overhead lunges - these force you to stay really upright. I'm not sure the flutter kicks wouldn't be counterproductive; they may shorten the hip flexors further. Squats can help correct part of the problem you describe, but if done incorrectly, they can also reinforce bad habits. Best thing might be to just give the physiotherapist an honest shot at fixing your problem. Ask if you can do the therapy three times a day or even more, frequent short sessions sometimes really speed up progress.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:53 AM   #6
Paul Symes

Profile:
Thanks for all the advice

The confusing thing for me now is, it looks like I need to strengthen my abdominal muscles (not just abbs but inner unit) but I need to do it without strengthening my hip flexors.

Sit-ups seem to be one of the mainstays of the WOD, would it be an idea for me to do something else, if so what would you suggest would be a good replacement

Thanks
Paul