CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-15-2004, 11:57 AM   #1
Stephen Troy

Profile:

The Philly KB club is having a pullup & DL competition on March 12th. Other sites across the country will be doing the same to have a sort of "cross country" meet. These will be tactical pullups, meaning thumbless grip, throat or chest touches the bar each rep, no kipping, dead hang between reps. I hope some folks from the CF community can represent! Here are the details copied from the DD board:

The Philadelphia Kettlebell Club is proud to announce its first Pound-for-Pound Deadlift/Pullup Championship, to be held at IronSport Gym in Glenolden, PA (www.ironsport.com) on March 12, 2005. This two-event strength championship will have one open class for men and one open class for women. There will be no weight classes. The first event is a three-attempt powerlifting deadlift, the second event is bodyweight tactical pullups performed for repetitions.

The winner will be determined by combined placement in the two events. For example, if Lifter A finishes third in the deadlift and fifth in pullups, his score is eight. The lowest score wins. In the event of a deadlift tie, the lighter competitor places higher. In the event of a pullup tie, the heavier competitor places higher. In the event of an overall tie (both lifters get same combined score), the tie stands.

Identical Deadlift/Pullup championships are being planned for the same date by Steve Cotter at IronCore Gym in San Diego, and by Anthony Diluglio at Punch! Gym in Rhode Island. Overall national winners will be announced when all results have been collected. If you would also like to host a meet on March 12th, please contact (deleted, he may not want his e-mail addy on a googleable site. PM me for contact info).

Complete rules and registration details will be posted here shortly.

Rob
Old 12-15-2004, 12:25 PM   #2
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Hope my San Diego County bretheren (and sisteren) see this. Looks like we should plan around it, no?
Maybe take part in it as a warm up?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:59 PM   #3
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Stephen,

Any chance of one being held in Chicago? I'm thinking my hand should be back in working order by then...
Old 12-15-2004, 02:34 PM   #4
Stephen Troy

Profile:

Kelly,

Sure, we could schedule it through the CKC. I will likely skip this competition but would be happy to ref.

Come to a meeting some time!
Old 12-15-2004, 03:38 PM   #5
Laura Rucker

Profile:
If I can do a dead hang p/u by then, count me in. I'm gettin' there. (It's tough, man!)

Saturdays in march are 12th, 19th, 26th. I don't think a date has been chosen for the challenge - mayhap the SoCal PTB (powers that be) will take it into consideration...hmmm...
Old 12-15-2004, 07:50 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

If Kelly is going to be competing, the rest of us can give up now :lol:

Let's see . . . Kelly takes 1st in Pullups doing 1/3 of her normal daily warmup . . . oh, wait, it's a national competition . . . she has to do 2/3 in order to be sure to beat the people not present.

Maybe I can out DL her . . . (probably not, though)
Old 12-16-2004, 10:48 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Betcha Josh Everett pulls a 450 deadlift and does 30 pullups. (More if a kip was allowed.)