CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Pär Larsson

Profile:
How did the 2011 Games Open change your preparation for 2012?

[Disregard the whole 2012 - we're all gonna die in a Mayan zodiac meteor explosion thing, please.]

Average CFers like me are just as welcome to comment as those who actually have a chance doing well at Regionals.

Given that the Open next year will possibly (presumably?) be video-tapable and therefore VERY limited in scope and possible exercises, here's what I'll be doing:

1. Make sure there's no one single exercise that can just knock me out by being there, i.e. ring/bar muscle ups, pistols and HSPU (the latter being the only thing I've got left to haunt me after 3 years of CF).

2. Get strong on barbell stuff, i.e. Oly lifting for those lovely 165# C & J.

3. Go from passable to mad good at Double Unders and Burpees - both easy, simple and effective exercises that I expect in the 2012 Open since they're perfect for the constraints imposed by the video tape option.

In other news I sincerely hope the Regionals and Finals both feature long Endurance events (5k or 10k), since that was completely impossible given the constraints of the video-tape submission option. Or maybe I'm biased. Seems to me a great deal of American CFers think anything beyond 400m is a long run.

Lastly - I have no business in the Finals, but I'd like to at least be able to contribute to a team at Regionals, so that's pretty much my only real goal with this, other than staying healthy. Lest anyone think this is meant as criticism of the Open programming - I think they did a superb job at it given the new format and video-tape field of view constraints, with the added bonus of giving half the competitors new C & J personal records, to boot!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: How did the 2011 Games Open change your preparation for 2012?

We're all not going to be here in 2012 anyway right?

I think your process is a good one. Get stronger, learn how to do movements you can't do.

They may also come up with "new" stuff between now and then too - such as swimming, tripple unders, reverse double unders or max time L sit (or L pullups). AMRAP 5 minutes max rep backflips anyone?

Edit I think it's also worth practicing "combination" excercises such as burpee muscleups, weighted variations of the existing gymnastics movements, etc.

Last edited by Dave Traeger : 05-15-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: How did the 2011 Games Open change your preparation for 2012?

Do you want to win the Games or just get through the first round? The training may be different depending on the goal.

The lessons learned for getting through this year's Round 1:
Specialize in 5-20 minute couplet and triplet metcons.
Specialize in the vanilla Crossfit movements seen regularly in the mainpage workouts; don't bother with the more advanced gymnastic movements or super heavy 1RM Oly movements. HSPUs, muscle ups, and 100-120 kilo ground-to-overhead-anyway should be sufficient.

Getting through Round 2 may be different. Don't expect anything that would be logistically difficult to implement across all regions, i.e. forget swimming or rowing on water or any super short event that would be difficult to time/measure or require uncommon implements. The events might be more technical than in the first round however.

Doing well at the Games might depend on stuff learned years ago, not just recent training. There might indeed be an event like swimming or sledge hammer or rock climbing or throwing at that stage. At that point you might be wishing you had handstand walks and L-sit muscle ups and big numbers on the squat snatch and a 400m time under 50 seconds and a 6-foot high jump. You might be wishing you knew how to swim better. Or at all. Or the Games might continue with the "Fittest Person = Metcon Monster" theme, who knows?