CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-29-2008, 05:34 AM   #21
Aaron Trent

Profile:
Re: Cardio and Fat

http://www.cyclingfans.com/2008_tirr...cancellara.jpg
Nope, no fatties here. Of course, these guys are busting tail when they ride, with long bouts of crazy intensity.
You never see a fat marathon racer at the elite level, but they are running well under a 6 min/mile pace.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:13 AM   #22
Scott Borre

Profile:

Aaron, they might have a low body fat %, but claims are made that these people have a high amount of subcutaneous fat.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #23
Tom Rawls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Borre View Post
Aaron, they might have a low body fat %, but claims are made that these people have a high amount of subcutaneous fat.

"claims are made." too vague.

how does the bodyfat distribution of a cyclist with low bodyfat % differ from, say, that of a x-fitter with the same bodyfat %.

signed, Truly Puzzled.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #24
Shane Rapp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Borre View Post
Ya, but claims are made about a lot of things. Claims are made that squats are bad for your knees, lifting weights will make women look like men, and doing close-grip bench presses will work your "inner chest". Let's see some hard scientific evidence to back up these claims.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #25
Floyd Russell

Profile:

I hate canned answers from "Personal Trainers".

Tell a Kenyan that if they run to much they'll get fat...

Consuming more calories than you burn? FAT!

In-taking too much sugar per serving? FAT!

Not exercising for 2-3 months causing muscle entropy? FAT!

Too much cardio.... FAT?

edit: Being Michael Phelps? FAT!
Old 08-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #26
Justin Shipley

Profile:

i've taken several 2 session a day, five days a week, jogging on weekends cardio-bunnies and after a few weeks of getting baseline strength and ROM issues sorted, put them onto a SS based progressive loading program of the heavy lifts, and watched those last % of BF melt away like magic, along with a whole lot of favourable body composition changes, and side benefits like balance, strength, coordination blah blah blah
I might add this has gone hand in hand with threats of violence if i saw those people in the gym more than 4 days per week! Overtrainers.....

I'm currently training one of the other trainers in heavy lifts. Something she said the other day while resting betwween sets of squats rang true-
"I've spent the last two and a half years doing and instructing Pump classes and core workout classes and ab workout classes and Bodybalance classes and it's done ***** ALL for my core strength or balance or even my ability to perform a full range SQUAT!"

And after five weeks of introductory lifting shes seeing better results in BF loss than in the past two years of cardio daily