CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-19-2006, 08:40 AM   #21
Roger Harrell

Profile:
"This makes me wonder how many people on these forums actually do crossfit..."

CrossFit is a mode of training, not the WOD. The WOD and recommended CF warm-up is one example of the application of CF. There are many who do the WOD as RX'd daily. There are others that do not. Many have sport specific goals in mind and create their own workouts with that in mind.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #22
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I range from 30 min to over an hour. In my 3on/1off split, the first and third days are CF workouts scaled so I can do them and have a real metcon reaction to them. The middle day is the 5x5 workout. For the CF days I do 1 round of the CFWU (working up to doing the whole 3 rounds) and maybe some hacky sack play or some handstand work. Then spend however long it takes to do the WOD. For the 5x5 days I do the same warm up, and then spend between 30 and 45 minutes lifting. I workout at 6am right after I wake up and by the time I'm done I'm normally so hungry that I have to stretch while I make my breakfast.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #23
James Falkner

Profile:
Somewhere between 1 and 2 hours. I generally do sport-specific training for the first 45-60 mins, then I do the CFWU (x2 or x3) then the WOD and then play around with rings and my new tumbling mat I got for Christmas. I don't strictly need to do the WU since I'm already W'd U but I like to do it anyway, gives me a chance to improve various core movements (pullups, GHD Situps, L-Sits, ring dips, etc).

I do not like to "get in and get out" - I like to take my time because my workout serves more than to just keep me in shape - stress relief, listen to new music, etc. Of course, on WOD's that are "for time", I try to rush just a little bit ;-)

To find all that extra time, I usually start somewhere between 0500 and 0530 (except on weekends, when I start maybe at 0700).
Old 04-19-2006, 11:38 PM   #24
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
I follow the 3 day on 1 Day Rest WOD progam and find it excellent for foundation fitness.I continue to follow it and have few negative responses.For quite a while now I have placed other activities(Sport Specific) on top of WOD without a problem.
The golden rule for me is to separate WOD and SS work by about 5 hours,and program SS work to complement WOD.The limiting factor is Time and its balance with work, study and partner(opps I put her last:blush:)
I hope to soon jump back into Outdoor Climbing on a once weekly redpoint basis which will be more time consuming but I foresee as manageable.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:40 PM   #25
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Yes, like Roger's idea that 20 seconds is not long enough per cycle given gymnastics movements in tabata cycles.
He's probably right, but it's hell. 15 seconds does give more time to rotate to the next and makes an easy minute.
I let the kids generally go 20/10 for the gym movements since they die quick with 45/15 unless it's easier movements.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:50 AM   #26
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I'm kind of a Crossfit homepage purist. I do the WODS in order on the day they are posted. My only thought process is what to do for warm-ups and extra workouts. Right now my warm-up consists of 3 rounds of GHD sit-ups, pull-ups, Handstands, H2H KB drills, PVC O-lifting, and KB presses (re-habbing a right shoulder injury about 99% now). Usually about 30 minutes total workout time, but could stretch to over an hour (and has, like yesterday!)