CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-09-2005, 07:15 PM   #61
Brad Smith

Profile:
I kept hearing in my head an old quote:

"Everything works but nothing works forever."

I have never gotten to the point that I even COULD do some of the WOD's as written but I don't want to exclude other forms of training and I need my rest (51). I take some things from CF, I swim, I play racquetball... I enjoy my time working out.

I've been criticized in the forum for NOT following it by the letter but what I do works for me on a number of levels.

Thanks for what I agree may be the most interesting thread I've read here!
Old 11-10-2005, 02:55 AM   #62
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Regarding training to exhaustion, I like Steve Justa's line on strength training where you should feel stronger after the workout. Exhausted for 5, 10 or 15 minutes is normal, after you should feel fine, invigorated even. If not you need to scale to your ability. This way you always have intense workout without the burden of too much volume. Of course you will come across the occasional workouts that leave you messed up for the day, that's not a big deal.

I was able to sustain the WOD's 3 on 1 off without the Zone...but I wasn't able to really fly untill I started eating it.

And an athlete who thinks that workouts that make you "tired" are no good for fitness...will never be an elite athlete!
Old 11-10-2005, 06:00 AM   #63
Dan MacDougald

Profile:
Skip,
Your posts continue to inspire me.

Regarding the hard headedness of men, that is a very interesting subject. I recently hosted a USA Rugby Coaching Development Course in Atlanta, and we had session where we wound up discussing the difference between coaching men and women. A basic difference kept coming up, especially at the beginner level--women listen, men don't. The coach of Penn State women (National finalists 4 out last 5 years) says he refuses to coach college men for this reason. Also, men are aggressive and women are not. These differences disappear as you progress to the elite level--the women become as aggressive as the men, and the men are willing to listen.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:28 AM   #64
Otto Brito

Profile:  
Thank You Very Much guys!
I will try to experiment the advice given above.

Christopher G.-I also have to do push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups and a short run, but the 2 mile is the one giving me trouble and I have found help with the others on this site, the program I foundon push=ups helped me alot.

Chris Kemp- I am running every morning with W. Boxing CH Ivan Calderon, we vary from repetions, windsprints and long 50 min runs. But I have not been happy with my progress and thats why I decided to ask here as this site has an Excellent reputation and a 2 mile run is very specific.
Thank You and Regards to all.
Otto
Old 11-10-2005, 07:53 AM   #65
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Yes Otto it is a pretty specific target but the best way to progress in the short time you say is available will depend on how far from your goal you are. "Sucking air and pretty pathetic..." could mean that you just didn't dominate like you expected or on the other hand that you ended up walking half of it. In one case we are simply adding a bit more speed to a runner off his peak - on the other, we are looking at building a base level of endurance and providing some basic technique tips.

If you have found what you need with the comments others have provided above, then good luck with the training and your test. If not, then a little info will help us (me at least) give you some more specific ideas.

Don't take this as any sort of dig, just the normal questions I would ask anyone who approached me for this kind of help.

Cheers, kempie
Old 11-10-2005, 12:16 PM   #66
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
Otto,
If that's what you're training for I would recommend each week doing one interval session on a track as I described, doing one 20-35 minute mid-intensitry run, and one 45+ minute low intensity run. On the low intensity, you should be able to easily maintain a conversation with a running partner throughout, otherwise yoiu're going too fast. Start low the low end of the times I gave above, and build up gradually. Allow at least one recovery day between runs (2 would be better after the intervals). There are more complicated methods involving heart rate monitors, etc., but this technique has worked for me pretty consistantly training soldiers for the 2 miler on the APFT. Hope this helps, and let us know how it works out. Chris