CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-29-2007, 12:13 PM   #51
Alex Bury

Profile:
Re: A gallon of milk?

Sounds like a sure fire way to gain a little muscle and a ton of fat in very little time.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #52
Daniel Hoang

Profile:

someone who has actually done this, give some insight on it please. i'm trying this and its pretty damn near impossible. should i be working my way up to a gallon a day at least? i feel like a damn bloated elephant all day long. i understand it isnt supposed to be easy.. but maybe some tips on how to go about it?
Old 12-08-2007, 01:13 AM   #53
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I couldn't do that. Of course, I probably wouldn't need to - half a gallon might even work for me. Good thing I don't want to gain weight right now.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #54
Derek Heinonen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hoang View Post
someone who has actually done this, give some insight on it please. i'm trying this and its pretty damn near impossible. should i be working my way up to a gallon a day at least? i feel like a damn bloated elephant all day long. i understand it isnt supposed to be easy.. but maybe some tips on how to go about it?
I've only been doing it for a limited amount of time (nearly 5 weeks) and find every day a little struggle!

I'd say I drink about 85-90% of a gallon each day. I always shoot for a full gallon.

Some ideas: spread it out. Have a quart at breakfast. Don't try to do it all at once, but just work it a glass here, a glass there, throughout the day. I like to have most of my milk AFTER meals, because it's easier to chug a glass than force yourself to eat after you've dranked a bunch of milk.

Peanut butter is good to encourage milk consumption.

If you get bored with plain milk, you can always add chocolate.

Milkshakes are another viable idea.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #55
Tim Donahey

Profile:

There's another discussion on this over at Strength Mill w/Mark Rippetoe (WFS): http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=431

Here's an excerpt:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe
The deal with saturated fat is that, above all, it is not poison. No study in existence has ever shown that saturated fat causes CVD, and its presence in a food that is useful should not prevent you from using in your diet. No one is suggesting that you get half of your calories from the "butter" they use on movie popcorn, but whole milk for a growing young lifter is much more more valuable than the fat it contains is dangerous. Milk is quite literally better than steroids for a novice lifter to grow on, and no supplement produces the same effect.
(Emphasis mine)
Old 12-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #56
Michael Hays

Profile:

so would this be advantageous for someone who wouldn't mind gaining weight, but only if proportional to gains in strength? I'm currently doing the 3/1 WOD and GTG with pull-ups throughout the day (hoping to integrate SS or a ME somehow, still doing my research on that, it's all alien to me).

I guess my question is, I am still lacking in overall upper body strength, and milk seems to be an effective option for younger beginners (M/21/165). But I am really focusing on increasing my dh pull-ups and gaining a ton of ineffective weight would not be ideal.

would a gallon of milk/day work for me?
Old 12-08-2007, 05:57 PM   #57
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Edge View Post
For the lactose intolerant -- would it work with Soy Milk?

Although I suspect the ensuing flatulence would be deadly -- for friends and family if not the drinker.
No, soy milk wouldn't be a good alternative.

Since lactose intolerance is characterized by GI distress and discomfort, it wouldn't make sense to sub in a load of soy milk that could cause the same issues.

Plus, I seem to remember reading around here that soy can cause an elevation of estrogen in men.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #58
Tom Rawls

Profile:

T-nation summary of journal article article. Make of it what you will:

"Supplementing with protein resulted in significant lean mass gains. Even twelve weeks of soy protein supplementation did not inhibit lean mass gains or decrease serum Testosterone levels in the resistance trained."
Old 12-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #59
Travis Hall

Profile:

Good ol'T-Nation.... Do a search for soy in their engine and you'll find a few other articles listing it as the Devil's sister. Well, they always have consistent informationů Or at least, their research on Biotest is never contrary

I admit to reading Atomic Dog religiously and laughing my *** off....
Old 02-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #60
Jacob Vohs

Profile:

So does Rippetoe recommend 1 gallon of whole milk a day on top of the regular 2000-3000 calorie diet or is the 1 gallon of whole milk included in that? I'm 155 lbs., 5'7", and around 15% bodyfat. I have weight lifted for 2 years now but am just starting Starting Strength and really getting my form down on all my lifts now. Does this gallon of whole milk a day sound like it would work for me? I'm not lactose intolerant and I like milk. However, I don't want to get fat doing this either.