CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-31-2005, 04:24 PM   #1
John de la Garza

Profile:
I want to start a crossfit gym in my garage and if it goes good move to a industrial park near my home.

My big question is should I go for some certification? I know most of the 'standard' fitness ideas out there are somewhat to very different from crossfit, but many clients would feel better about training at a place with certified people.

Are there any kind of generally recognized certifications that fit the crossfit way of working out?

Also, I dont' know alot about olympic lifting. Any recommendations (reading, classes, etc) on how to become more qualified in this area?

I've always thought I know a lot about fitness, but I've learned so much here in the last year or so it shows me how much I don't know about what really works.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:48 PM   #2
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Um...I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest CrossFit certification. There is a seminar in February that you might want to attend. There is plenty of information, people who can point you in the right direction, not to mention the opportunity to begin the CrossFit cetification and affilliation processes.

As far as O-lifting, there are people at the seminar that can help. You also may want to look into hooking up with a qualified O-lifting coach in your area. Mike Burgener could help you with this.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
John de la Garza

Profile:
on the main page it say sold out... I guess I blew it.

Next time
Old 01-01-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
There are new ones fairly often. Just keep checking. In the meantime, I would contact Mike Burgener about finding an O-lifting coach.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
You may want to contact Lauren about putting you on a waiting list for the seminar in case someone has something come up and can't make it.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Doing some preliminary research on opening a CrossFit facility and have a few questions if answered will help tremendously. I also plan to take a road trip a visit a few of the affiliates.

1. Figuring average class size 15-25, basic size of building, i.e. Sq footage, ceiling height for climbing ropes, rest rooms yes, showers open for discussion.
2. Rural or Urban. Old whse space works, or could a solid barn work and have acreage for outdoor training? Para course, running, obstacle course, etc…
3. Estimate on Insurance costs for Liability.
4. Estimated equipment start up costs, assuming you make some stuff and buy balance.

Any other comments will be appreciated. Of course Certification is being assumed along with Marketing/Startup costs.

If you would like to respond off line, my email is jaycohe@gmail.com.

Thanks very much.

Jay