CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:22 PM   #1
Chris Jones

Profile:
2 ways to WOD

Im curious to get some opinions from you guys on how you go at MetCons. The way i see it there are the kinds of people who can relatively easily Rx most workouts, and the people that could possibly Rx that same workout, but would be much better off scaling the weight and moving faster and with better form. We've all heard the example of a 4 minute Fran vs struggling through a 12 minute Fran just to do the Rx weight.

I am not currently at the strength levels it takes to Rx most workouts, so i have been doing 5/3/1 in addition to CrossFit since January. So when i go into the 2 or 3 WODs i do through the week, i dont try to do them as heavy as i can. I pick a weight i can move relatively easily so that i can complete the workout in about the right time domain and actually use it for conditioning. I know you will always have the guys that go out there and kill theirselves to do a workout Rx with a horrible time and sh*tty form, but i would rather go heavy on lift days to get my numbers up, and use WODs for conditioning right now.

How do you guys plan your WODs?
Old 07-03-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: 2 ways to WOD

Overall I think you have the right idea.
You should scale the WODs to address the goal of the WOD.
But once in a while, you should try the scaled weights as a test to see if your other training is moving you forward.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
Matthew S Cooper

Profile:
Re: 2 ways to WOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
You should scale the WODs to address the goal of the WOD.
^ This

For the most part you would be better served to keep the strength work on your strength training days, and use the WODs for conditioning, skill training and to help you better apply force to a specific movement pattern. If a WOD calls for 20 reps with a weight that is nearly your 1rm, it'd be suicide to try and perform is RX'd.

In my training, form is held to a higher standard than anything else and I scale to whatever weight allows me to maintain form, while still achieving the desired stimulus of the workout.