CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-04-2014, 05:35 AM   #1
Andrew T Wilson

Profile:
Help, just want to look better and be fitter

Hi there, I have been crossfitting for 2 and a bit years now. Seen fitness and strength gains but still look like I dont workout.

A little bit about me:
Full time policing student
Amy Reservist: Infantry.
Sedentary lifestyle, apart from fitness and army commitments.

Do 5 crossfit sessions and at least 2 LSD such as rucking, running

Age 21
Weight: 70kg/ 145lb
Height: 168cm/ 5'6"
Thoracic scoliosis 24.5. Stable

Pushups 45 no rest, Strict pullups 11, situps 100 24k run 11min 04 sec
1rm Backsquat 120kg
1rm Deadlift 130kg
5rm bench press 70kg
5rm press 40kg
5rm Power clean 55kg

I just want to look good, I am feeling demotivated despite all the hard work
I want to look like this if I could http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poV3g...e_gdata_player

What program do I need to follow? Mind you I need to be able to ruck good as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140104_212803-1.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	13118  Click image for larger version

Name:	20140104_212758-1.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	13119  Click image for larger version

Name:	20140104_212754-1.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	13120  
Old 01-04-2014, 06:15 AM   #2
Fergal Jennings

Profile:
Re: Help, just want to look better and be fitter

Ah I was at this stage before. You need to eat ALOT more. Find a strength program and dedicate yourself to it. Use your rucks as conditioning and even focus on bodyweight movements as assistance. But make sure your progressing on them.

I would suggest wendler 5/3/1 as it sounds like it meets your needs. The recommended conditioning is sled work, hill sprints and weighted walks. So rucks would fit in here! Put metcons aside for the duration and lift heavy 4 days per week.

But your main focus is nutrition! How much are you eating? Paleo? Zone?
Old 01-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #3
Andrew T Wilson

Profile:

Eat Primal- Lots of chicken wings and.mince. Bacon for breakfast or Gluten free corn flakes. Cant eat gluten, I am intolerant. On a budget. Have 3 main meals, 2 protein whey shakes with light milk.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Amounts are what is important when it cones to mass gain/loss. Energy in vs energy out is a little oversimplified for some, but that is the basis of everything.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:28 PM   #5
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T Wilson View Post
I want to look like this if I could http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poV3g...e_gdata_player
So you want to look like a dooshbag ? (Re: first 40s of video )

Sometimes, guys like this (and Rich Froning) look like this in spite of themselves. It doesn't matter what they'll be doing, their bodies are pre-programmed to look this way. They can have a diet of soda and potato chips and run 5k once a week as their exercise regime and still be pretty lean and ripped.
That being said, you mentioned nothing about your nutrition so it's impossible to say if you are eating enough, or eating too much, or eating the right/wrong stuff. It is likely that is where you'll need to focus.

Quote:
What program do I need to follow? Mind you I need to be able to ruck good as well
Pick one and follow it to the T. Personally, I like CrossFit Football and for it, you would do a long ruck on Saturdays. You'll get bigger, faster, stronger and harder to kill. If you follow the dietary prescriptions too, you'll probably gain some lean mass and get closer to being the weight of an adult male.

http://crossfitfootball.com/basics/nutrition/ WFS (comments may contain some uncensored language).
Old 01-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
Chris Mason

Profile:

You need to do some bodybuilding training. That will help you to achieve the body you are looking for.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
Andrew T Wilson

Profile:

Thanks Guys, because I got a relatively weak core ( Hold Plank for 2min10sec) should I do some dedicated core exercise as part of my sport/job specific training. I decided to stick to CF Football to a T. because it looks like 5/3/1 with Conditioming exercises. and at least 3 times a week do LSD/Job specific training eg running swimmong rucking.
And. Increase calories AS MOST IMPORTANT. Am I on the ball here?
Old 01-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
Andrew T Wilson

Profile:

Side note- I can see why its so easy to bulk up in the US your food is so cheap. Cost us 9 dollars a kilo for chicken breast, 7 dollars a kilo for beef mince and thats cheap here lol. Cant wait to start my policing careerr so I can afford better food .
Old 01-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #9
Clint Harris

Profile:

Quote:
Side note- I can see why its so easy to bulk up in the US your food is so cheap. Cost us 9 dollars a kilo for chicken breast, 7 dollars a kilo for beef mince and thats cheap here lol. Cant wait to start my policing careerr so I can afford better food .
I'm originally from NZ, so know all about expensive food. Sometimes it's not just the price but the relationship between it and the lack of disposable income. There's much more of the latter over here (even for people who are struggling - the dollar goes further). I can't recall the exact prices of food here (looked in the fridge and it was empty LOL), but I don't know how much different that is. That's the equivalent of ~4.50 and ~3.50 a pound over here. Seems pretty reasonable to me. However, like you say, I am a professional earning a wage so perhaps I overlook some of this stuff. I'll typically not go anywhere near the cheap stuff - except when I find deals like stew meat (lamb neck from Australia no less) that runs at $2 a pound or something.

I tell you what - it is easy to "bulk up" over here as the serving sizes are ridiculous when eating out. Jeepers mate. I was taught to eat everything on my plate so when I came over here, they served me up quadruple sized meals I would studiously eat everything on my plate when eventually I said no more - and fought my nature/upbringing to do so. Unfortunately, there's a lot of perceived value in getting a gigantic plate full of cheap food and it's guzzled down with an endless supply of soda drinks. Even at the "Outback Steak House" - whatever that is - advertised with the worst Australian accent you've ever heard. Like terrible, not even good. It'd be better if I did the voice over and I don't even sound Australian It is a steak house with boomerangs on the wall.

Good luck at the academy and with your fitness/diet.

Last edited by Clint Harris : 01-04-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
Matt Davies

Profile:

nowhere near enough detail on your food intake. What are you using as "filler" if lean protein s expensive? Bogging down on tons of carbs, you're not going to get lean.