CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Advice on how to add additional strength training

I'm guessing those numbers are in kg since you previously wrote your numbers in pounds.

It looks a bit odd. I'm wondering if those dips sucked on Tues with Elizabeth.

Back Squats 2 days in a row. I would guess that you still have quite a bit of room to linear progress your Squat numbers because you probably haven't been squatting often.

That's 5 WOD's. Maybe they all aren't ball busters, but that still is 5 WOD's.

I think it's going to be hard to blend your Box's programming and add on something else to it unless you know in advance your Box's programming. They actually might program everything 3 or 4 weeks in advance but if they do it day to day, you're screwed.

So maybe ask them.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #12
Rob Darden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Why would you do Smolov PLUS WODs etc.? You do realize more is not necessarily better when it comes to strength training?

So you are already strength training and not getting much stronger and or stagnated, right? If so, ask yourself why you think that is? The answer is you are almost assuredly overtraining. I'm no huge fan of 5-3-1, but if your box is doing it properly you absolutely should be getting strong as noted by the others. Something is wrong here. Can you detail your entire week of training from last week? I want to see what you are really doing.
Just curious why you are not a fan of 5/3/1?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
Ben Gill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
I'm guessing those numbers are in kg since you previously wrote your numbers in pounds.

It looks a bit odd. I'm wondering if those dips sucked on Tues with Elizabeth.

Back Squats 2 days in a row. I would guess that you still have quite a bit of room to linear progress your Squat numbers because you probably haven't been squatting often.

That's 5 WOD's. Maybe they all aren't ball busters, but that still is 5 WOD's.

I think it's going to be hard to blend your Box's programming and add on something else to it unless you know in advance your Box's programming. They actually might program everything 3 or 4 weeks in advance but if they do it day to day, you're screwed.

So maybe ask them.
As mentioned they do stick to a template of monday (press and press based wod) tuesday (legs and leg wod) THursday (deadlift or clean and pull based wod) Friday and Saturday are unknown, and sunday is Olympic lifting practice. With these days and different focuses known do you think there is a best or better way for me to schedule a separate strength routine?
Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #14
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Ahh, I didn't understand that was the way it was always. Man, that is tricky the way they are spread out.

Squat sunday after WL if you have time.

Or Squat Fri/Sa.

Another press Th or F morning. BTN Sn PP or Jerk grip PP (BTN Sn PP will be lighter so it's a bit easier to recover from) maybe because I'm gonna they're 3x5 PP is from the front.

@Rob, 5-3-1 isn't Conjugate therefore...
Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Darden View Post
Just curious why you are not a fan of 5/3/1?
I think it's ok, but inferior to Westside.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Gill View Post
Hi guys,

I am grateful for any advice, as like you have mentioned my strength seems to have stagnated somewhat. So below is a breakdown of my previous week. The way I have been running it is with a strength session around midday, and then the Crossfit class I attend is in the evening with their split between strength portion and metcon:

Monday - Strength session
Back squat 4x3 @ 88
Strict Press 6x2 @ 55

Monday - WoD
3x5 Push Press
21-15-9 (Push press @ 55 then burpees)

Tuesday - Strength session
Hang Cleans 5x2 @ 70

Tuesday - WOD
3x5 Back Squat
Elizabeth

Wednesday - WOD
Snatch skills

Thursday - strength session
Deadlift 8x2 @ 150
Split Jerk 8x2 @ 60

Friday - WOD
DT @ 50

Saturday
Rest

Sunday - WOD
Barbell club so some light clean and jerk practice

Advice on how i can balance strength sessions with the classes I already attend would be great. Also if you could let me know what the holes are in 5/3/1 that would also be really useful.
Does the below mean you are squatting heavy, then doing heavy strict presses, then the WOD starts with heavy push presses and then moves on to the 21-15 etc. more push pressing and then burpees???

If so, that is crap programming in my book and no wonder you are stagnated. I think you might want to consider a different box unless they will let you do you own programming.

Monday - Strength session
Back squat 4x3 @ 88
Strict Press 6x2 @ 55

Monday - WoD
3x5 Push Press
21-15-9 (Push press @ 55 then burpees)
Old 07-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #17
Ben Gill

Profile:

Sorry guys - I don't think I made it very clear. The 'strength' sessions are ones that I did for myself in the day. The 'WOD' sessions were the ones that my box ran on those days.

There's nothing wrong with the box programming it was more to see if what i was doing to supplement it was helping or hindering my progress.

thanks
Old 07-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #18
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I understood that Ben.

As I said before, working around that programming will be tricky. I don't really think it's bad. It's not what I would do but for general CF programming for the rank and file, it's ok.