CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #21
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Question on Scaling for a Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Ellickson View Post
Funny you should mention that...I inquired about a fundamentals program at my local affiliate and they just responded and seem very willing to work with my schedule. Looking forward to finding time to visit the temple (so to speak).
Good good...if your local affiliate had not been interested in helping you learn the basics, I would have highly recommended you seek out another gym to train at.

Foundations/Elements/CF101 type classes benefit everyone--the new client gets some 1 on 1 or small group attention to learn things right from the beginning and eventually enters group classes with a decent idea what they're doing, the trainers get a feel for your strengths and weaknesses through personalized instruction, and existing clients don't suffer in group classes because the trainer has to spend 90% of his time reviewing the air squat with a newbie while everyone else is trying to move on to more complicated stuff.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:04 AM   #22
Wes Palmer

Profile:

When I first started if I could do the weights rx'd then i would do them, even if it took me a really long time. I rested after reps a lot, but I was out of shape. Eventually I got to where I didnt need to rest so much, and still did the same weights. My fran time started out around 15 minutes rx'd, and within 9 months was under 5 minutes. To each his own, but I feel that if you can do the WOD rx'd then do it, and try to rest as little as possible for you, and eventually it will all pay off
Old 02-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #23
Garrett MF Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Smith View Post
I have a question about appropriate scaling. Many of the recommended workouts involve going as fast as possible with recommended weights. My fitness level is sort of moderate and I can often handle the recommended weight and reps; however, it takes me awhile to do them (especially when compared to some of the amazing times posted in the daily comments).

For example, yesterday's WOD was run 400m, 30x24" box jumps and 30x20lb. wall shots. I can do the box jumps at that height and the wall shots at that weight, but I have to do them in sets of 10reps with ~20-30 seconds in between to catch my breath.
Do what you feel is best. Try experimenting.

I like strength, skill, speed, accuracy, balance. Endurance is a byproduct of training, never a goal of mine. AIUI, endurance training can change the muscle fiber to have fewer fast twitch and may also reduce the number of androgen receptors. The body will adapt to what you train for.

Outside bicycyle parking is (or was (more on that to come inthe "injuries" forum)) a fav of mine. These are good because they require precision to land on. Another fav is the square cement trash cans in my city. Subway entranceways are good stable jumping blocks, too. Sometimes it trips people out, but don't worry about that too much. I focus more on getting higher, so I don't do the hopping type of thing you're describing. I compliment this max height training with snatches, cleans, and even deads on occasion, and calf raises, which I feel help for stability and strength. No squats cause my legs'll get too big.

The other thing I wanted to add is that jumping onto high things or doing precision distance jumps really forces you to bring the legs up. Doing this activates the core, expecially the psoas so much more. And if you practice that, you'll get better at jumping really high. Yep, that's a win for me for sure.

But if you like jumping on small stuff repeatedly, then do that. Sure you probably get some good cardio from that.

Last edited by Garrett MF Smith : 02-28-2011 at 11:18 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #24
Kaai Lincoln

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Massey View Post
So do we over at Brand X.

You'll notice that Jeff has scaled Fran differently the last few times it's been posted. He's been alternating recommending scaling and sprinting with going as close to Rx'd as possible and slogging through.
Mostly though Jeff scales to the intent of the workout and for most metcons that is no breaks and maximum power output.
We find that without guidance beginners more often go too heavy than too light and the consequent reduction in power output means they lose out on the gains they could be making.

It is definitely necessary to push your limits and go heavy on occasion, but making a steady diet of that is not the way to progress. If nothing else a fast metcon is as much as about enduring discomfort as it is about physical capacity and that needs to be trained too. It's why strength athletes new to CF hit the wall in metcons when they can easily handle the weight, while triathletes lean into the pain even if they can't move the weight as easily.

Brand X is quite deliberately a "Beginners Forum" at present and as such we have to provide information pitched at the lowest common denominator, simplifying CF theory so that beginners set out on their CF journey equipped with the information they most need. If people follow that they'll go a long way safely but we freely admit that there's more to it than the rules of thumb we present initially. The extra information is there if people want it and we often answer questions from people looking to branch out on their own.

I made a long post recently when someone asked about Tony's statement that he cringes when people mention target times for workouts as it appeared to contradict what we advocate, but the thrust of it was what I just said;
Most beginners (especially the guys) go too heavy and need to be taught that metcons are about maximising power output.
To counter that tendency, target times are a useful tool for beginners to use as a guide when choosing a scaling.
Once they get that they can test their limits with heavier weights, but most of the time, sprint.
Craig,

I RARELY post anything on the forums, but your comments here echo my sentiments about appropriate scaling for the ego maniacs (we all have a little in us...) and I wanted this bumped back to the top. Thanks man.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #25
Craig Massey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaai Lincoln View Post
Craig,

I RARELY post anything on the forums, but your comments here echo my sentiments about appropriate scaling for the ego maniacs (we all have a little in us...) and I wanted this bumped back to the top. Thanks man.
Thank-you and you're welcome.
All of us, from Jeff on down, take setting people on the right track very seriously. We put a lot of work into making CrossFit as accessible as possible and the information we give as complete and accurate as we can. And we have fun with it.
Everything I've said is just a re-phrasing of what Jeff taught me, I cannot praise that guy's wisdom and coaching ability highly enough. I've said often that despite the attention he's had from CF Kids, he's still the most underrated resource in CrossFit. Mostly that's his own fault as the dopey sod hates being the centre of attention and refuses to blow his own trumpet, so I and a few others do it for him and he tells us off.
Especially coming from an affiliate, someone "in the field", what you said means a lot, thank-you.