CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Randy Kirschner

Profile:
How long before a workout repeats?

Hello! I noticed that CrossFit workouts change daily and certain workouts, especially the named workouts, repeat every few months. Is there a rule of thumb that you should follow on deciding how frequently to repeat a workout?

Thanks for your insights.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: How long before a workout repeats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Kirschner View Post
Hello! I noticed that CrossFit workouts change daily and certain workouts, especially the named workouts, repeat every few months. Is there a rule of thumb that you should follow on deciding how frequently to repeat a workout?

Thanks for your insights.
There is no rule of thumb. It's mostly arbitrary.

If you want to get really good at something you should do it almost every day. You can see improvements by doing something only once in awhile, but that's more of the novice effect rather than an effective training plan.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Pablo Vega

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
There is no rule of thumb. It's mostly arbitrary.

If you want to get really good at something you should do it almost every day. You can see improvements by doing something only once in awhile, but that's more of the novice effect rather than an effective training plan.
I don't fully agree with Shane. Yes, you have to repeat things to get good at them, but you have to mind the context we are in. If you want to be a piano virtuoso, you should practice every day. But we are doing CrossFit, where you want skills across several modal domains. So let's say you want to improve "Fran" (Thrusters, Pull-ups) or "Nate" (Muscle-ups, Handstand PU, Kettlebell Swings). It is not a good idea to do Fran and Nate weekly, or monthly even. Maybe you might want to try certain WOD's with more frequency than what the Main Site calls for, but I think there is a better way to do this. Take "Nate" for example, and let's say your shoulder strength and or endurance is weakness for you. There are several other WODs with HSPU, or muscle-ups. So you don't need to repeat one specific WOD to get good at it. Just get work on the different skills and/or components that make up said WOD. Now let's say that your Double Unders could use some work, but it's been weeks since a WOD with Dunders showed up in the Main Site. Just do skill work before or after the WOD. But not necessarily every day since there are dozens of other things that you also need to work on, specially if you're starting out.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Vega View Post
I don't fully agree with Shane. Yes, you have to repeat things to get good at them, but you have to mind the context we are in. If you want to be a piano virtuoso, you should practice every day. But we are doing CrossFit, where you want skills across several modal domains. So let's say you want to improve "Fran" (Thrusters, Pull-ups) or "Nate" (Muscle-ups, Handstand PU, Kettlebell Swings). It is not a good idea to do Fran and Nate weekly, or monthly even. Maybe you might want to try certain WOD's with more frequency than what the Main Site calls for, but I think there is a better way to do this. Take "Nate" for example, and let's say your shoulder strength and or endurance is weakness for you. There are several other WODs with HSPU, or muscle-ups. So you don't need to repeat one specific WOD to get good at it. Just get work on the different skills and/or components that make up said WOD. Now let's say that your Double Unders could use some work, but it's been weeks since a WOD with Dunders showed up in the Main Site. Just do skill work before or after the WOD. But not necessarily every day since there are dozens of other things that you also need to work on, specially if you're starting out.
I stand by my statement that if you want to get good at something, you need to do it almost every day. Even if you're training for broad modal/time domains or whatever. Doing something once every few months may result in improvements, but that's still a result of the novice effect. Once someone starts to get more than just mediocre at something, doing something once every few months will no longer result in improvements. And no, a few minutes of skill work does not count.

Unless you can provide examples of people who have gotten more than just mediocre at something by doing it once a month or less frequently.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
Lucas Reid

Profile:

sure after awhile of doing something everyday you'll see change but thats not very practical and that is not what crossfit is about.
I'd agree with you if you were talking about working on form and technique thats right but doing the same WOD day after day isn't in the CF principles.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Bob D Pratt

Profile:

Quote:
I stand by my statement that if you want to get good at something, you need to do it almost every day.
Shane,
Are you suggesting people do 'Fran' or 'Murph' every day or that they do say; thrusters & pull-ups (w/ varied weights & reps) to get better at Fran and some running, push-ups, push-ups & squats to get better at Murph?
I'd never do the same WOD everyday but I certainly would and often do lots of extra work to address a weakness or prepare for a specific activity.
Here is an interesting blog that bashes CrossFit a little but I think makes a point:
http://dangerouslyhardcore.com/636/go-crossfit/
Personally I do CrossFit to prepare for whatever tomorrow brings not to be 'elite' at any one activity.
bob
Old 02-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Kirschner View Post
Is there a rule of thumb that you should follow on deciding how frequently to repeat a workout?
That depends on several things. For your WOD, are you

a) selecting entire workouts (which are comprised of known exercises) at random?
b) creating random workouts by selecting individual exercises at random?
c) just doing whatever comes to mind?

If c), I have no clue. If a) or b), I can come up with formulas to show how often one would expect to repeat a workout.

Justin
Old 02-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
CJ Kim

Profile:

Quote:
Unless you can provide examples of people who have gotten more than just mediocre at something by doing it once a month or less frequently.
I would say these guys (http://scores2010.crossfit.com/scori...iles/2010/men/) and these girls (http://scores2010.crossfit.com/scori...es/2010/women/) are good examples.

And let's not forget the masters competitors -- men (http://scores2010.crossfit.com/scori...masters-men/); women (http://scores2010.crossfit.com/scori...masters-women/)

You seem to really have a thing against crossfit, why do you spend so much time on this site?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Kim View Post
And can you provide more information about their training? From what I've read, the CF Games competitors do specialized strength programming, work on their weaknesses, use periodization, and are generally much more organized about their training than simply waiting for workouts/movements to repeat once a month or so.

Katherine
Old 02-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
CJ Kim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
And can you provide more information about their training? From what I've read, the CF Games competitors do specialized strength programming, work on their weaknesses, use periodization, and are generally much more organized about their training than simply waiting for workouts/movements to repeat once a month or so.
Katherine
Just check out main site. Looks Like Kristan Clever did the WOD on at least Tuesday 110208, Saturday 110205, Friday 110204, Wednesday 11020, Thursday 110127, Tuesday 110125, Friday 110121, Thursday 110120.

That's just from the last few cycles that are up on mainsite now, and it's just the ones where she sent in a time or a video.

Everyone seems to assume that none of top crossfitters actually do crossfit (which brings up the question of why they do it if they don't think it works), but we sure do see a lot of times/videos being submitted.

Can you provide more information about there training? How do you know they aren't doing crossfit to prepare for the crossfit games?