CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
Matthew Mullins

Profile:
Is just doing the WOD itself enough

Although I am familiar with a similar style of workouts and all of the exercises I am fairly new to crossfit and am begining my crossfit program by simply doing the WOD's everyday.

My question is weather or not others simply do just the WOD or if they do other lifting exercises in addition to the WOD? I was thinking about maybe doing a lifting routine in addition to the WOD but was not sure if this was too much. I am mainly looking to get fit and ripped up as opposed to trying to bulk up although I'd like to put on some muscle in the process.

Do others think simply doing the WOD is enough to see dramatic results or do you recommend supplementing other workouts as well?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Is just doing the WOD itself enough

What are your numbers like now? What's your diet like?

Have you actually done any of the workouts? Many people develop a lot more respect for the program once they have.

Katherine
Old 01-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

You may get a varied response on this one. I think the Wendler 5-3-1 strength program works well with the WODs, and gets you stronger, faster than WODs alone. I have also heard that you can get stronger just doing the WODs. I think you can do better in the WODs if you do strength also. Just don't overdo it on the WODs. Rippetoe's Starting Strength is best done alone. As for getting "Ripped" - that also involves diet. That's a whole 'nother thread. Check out Zone and Paleo. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #4
Victoria Ramirez

Profile:

I think it depends on what your goal is. Some days the WOD is not enough for me, so I add something else to it. Some days it is more than enough and I don't want to do anymore.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Mullins View Post
Although I am familiar with a similar style of workouts and all of the exercises I am fairly new to crossfit and am begining my crossfit program by simply doing the WOD's everyday.

My question is weather or not others simply do just the WOD or if they do other lifting exercises in addition to the WOD? I was thinking about maybe doing a lifting routine in addition to the WOD but was not sure if this was too much. I am mainly looking to get fit and ripped up as opposed to trying to bulk up although I'd like to put on some muscle in the process.

Do others think simply doing the WOD is enough to see dramatic results or do you recommend supplementing other workouts as well?

Thanks
Goals should be quantifiable and specific--those aren't.

The WOD is enough for some people and isn't for others. It depends on your fitness level, your ability to recover, and your goals. If you want to get stronger, CF.com will really only help you if you're a complete novice lifter. Getting stronger in a hurry requires a dedicated strength program, though you can also include conditioning in there a la CFFB, CF/conjugate, or 70s Big S&C.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:05 AM   #6
Alix Floyd

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer View Post
You may get a varied response on this one. I think the Wendler 5-3-1 strength program works well with the WODs, and gets you stronger, faster than WODs alone. I have also heard that you can get stronger just doing the WODs. I think you can do better in the WODs if you do strength also. Just don't overdo it on the WODs. Rippetoe's Starting Strength is best done alone. As for getting "Ripped" - that also involves diet. That's a whole 'nother thread. Check out Zone and Paleo. Good luck.
Ditto. I'm doing 5/3/1 right now and am loving it. Normally, I do the assistance work as my metcon after my strength component. Or, I choose WODs from the main site that compliment the lift I've done that day. I'm trying to learn more about programming so that I don't overdo it with too many pulls, pushes on the same day.

I did, however, just do WODs for quite a few months, but found I wasn't getting as strong as quickly. It was at that point the trainers/coaches at my gym said that I should supplement with strength training.

Just my experience.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

My continued advice on this is to take your mind off of whether or not any single WOD is enough for you.

Take the light days when you can get them, because the next day might come along and beat the hell out of you.

If every workout is a beat-down, you'll eventually be on the path to over-training and injury.

- Mark
Old 01-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Moving this thread to Starting forum. Please read the FAQ at the top of that forum. It addresses this exact question.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
CJ Kim

Profile:

The WOD is definitely enough. If your goal is to get ripped without geting too bulky then mainsite will get you there.

And 5-3-1, Starting Strength, etc. aren't really Crossfit. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I assume you are on here because you want Crossfit, so why not do Crossfit.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Kim View Post
And 5-3-1, Starting Strength, etc. aren't really Crossfit. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I assume you are on here because you want Crossfit, so why not do Crossfit.
Crossfit's stated goal is GPP. There are lots of routes to that goal, many of which involve Crossfit workouts to varying degrees. It's certainly within the spirit of Crossfit to dedicate some time to working on one's weaknesses, and Crossfit's own prescription encourages people to "learn and play new sports." So I don't see why an answer to the OP's original question can't include things other than the Crossfit main page workouts.

Katherine