CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
Paul Robert Manfre

Profile:
Trainers compensation

I was curious what other affiliates were paying new trainers, and what their pay scale was as they advance to different certs, or due to taking on more responsibilities with more athletes, etc
Old 08-12-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Kris Murphy

Profile:
Re: Trainers compensation

I think this is a tough subject for many affiliates. We are trying hard to get to a position where we can bring on one of our old interns full time to teach classes, and we are constantly debating how much to pay. Pay too much and you're negating several memberships per month. Too little and it won't be worth the trainer's time. We settled on $20-25/class, and we'll pinpoint the price when we can afford to hire him on.

I think this is similar to what other affiliates pay, but I'm not positive.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

This might be a stab in the dark, but generic personal trainers usually earn around 30-60k yearly, don't know about Crossfit trainers. That can go up if you market some sort of product to sell to people, like DVDs, books, certs, licensing, equipment resale, etc.. (I don't know if you are allowed to do all these things under affiliate rules). It'd be cool to seem some Crossfit balance sheets/income statements/statements of cash flow.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Kris Murphy

Profile:

From what I've learned about CF Affiliates, the trainers (not owners) who are making decent money are making most of it from one on one sessions, not teaching classes.

I'd love to show you my balance sheet, but you'd be sadly disappointed to see the fat - sign in front of the bottom number.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Murphy View Post
From what I've learned about CF Affiliates, the trainers (not owners) who are making decent money are making most of it from one on one sessions, not teaching classes.

I'd love to show you my balance sheet, but you'd be sadly disappointed to see the fat - sign in front of the bottom number.
No wonder, at $70/hr. Still, your balance sheet shouldn't have negative equity unless you have some serious debt. Income statement is a different story. But yeah, not particularly encouraging. I wonder how much Greg Glassman makes....
Old 08-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Thomas Stevenson

Profile:

Ya adding trainers is nice. But you have to do what it takes to keep food on your own table be fore you can go around helping everyone else. Its yours you just have to buck up and do it all tell you can get to that point.

Just remember adding people to your staff can be detrimental to your gym if they feel they aren't being valued. Just make sure they are 100% ok with what you are paying them.

I get calls and emails all the time about people wanting part time and I tell them that I can comp them a membership, they have to prove what they can bring to the gym that no one else could(This is how I was hired at my box). I usually am straight up and say they have to bring in a certain amount of people in order for them to even have a wage.

I think there is a misconception out there that everyone in crossfit is rolling in money. With time heck ya I see myself pulling in 3-5k a month in 3-5 years but now i'm not even at 1k.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
This might be a stab in the dark, but generic personal trainers usually earn around 30-60k yearly, don't know about Crossfit trainers. That can go up if you market some sort of product to sell to people, like DVDs, books, certs, licensing, equipment resale, etc...
At a typical big globo gym where there are 3,000 members, and 150-300 are getting personal training, the trainers can make a lot more than that... but the members are also only paying ~$30/month for their gym memberships.

Counter that with Affiliate memberships averaging between $150-$250/month and it makes a difference - financially for the members to also take on additional personal training.

In fact, I'd be surprised if there were more than 20 (out of over 1,000) affiliates who have more 300 or more members. I also doubt that 10% of Affiliate members also are receiving personal training at the box, in addition to doing the WODs.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
Jason M Struck

Profile:

my numbers are likely skewed, but we are doing in excess of 10% personal training.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #9
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
At a typical big globo gym where there are 3,000 members, and 150-300 are getting personal training, the trainers can make a lot more than that... but the members are also only paying ~$30/month for their gym memberships.

Counter that with Affiliate memberships averaging between $150-$250/month and it makes a difference - financially for the members to also take on additional personal training.

In fact, I'd be surprised if there were more than 20 (out of over 1,000) affiliates who have more 300 or more members. I also doubt that 10% of Affiliate members also are receiving personal training at the box, in addition to doing the WODs.
I think my estimate is about right on average. Not many personal trainers make 100k+ per year, and from some sites, apparently many make 20k or less.

I can understand why people wouldn't want to pay $70/hr for personal Crossfit lessons. Even if you do it once a week, that's like an extra 3600 dollars a year. Given the availability of info on the internet, there is really not much incentive to do personal training on any kind of regular schedule except possibly in the beginning when and if your technique is shaky. Once your technique is safe, there are classes, the WOD online, the discussion board -- really, you just need to do the WODs.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
Chris Wyant

Profile:

It has been in my experience that most of my members choose one of two avenues - either the classes or the private training. Almost none of my clients go back and forth between the two. The only exception is when someone is having trouble with one particular technique - even after it has been addressed in class and they really need some one on one attention and having it drilled in their heads (mind you this is the last case scenario). Those who receive personal training are those who can't fit the class into their schedules or love to push themselves and hate the competitive atmosphere.

In regards to compensation, I pay myself a certain hourly when training clients individually and then for classes I generally have that hourly rate x 1.5 as I am dealing with more individuals, responsibilities, etc. The same goes for whatever I pay my other trainers - their compensation is for their individual training ability and then 1.5 for groups. Is it the best system? Not necessarily. Does it work for me? yes.

Also, when hiring new trainers, my motivating factor is because I would be adding more classes, as such, I hire "newbies" for their specific class, give them a trial period of 3 months where their hourly is say - $10/hr (arbitrary number) and then they get a bonus $3 for every person that shows up after 4 people. This way my trainer has incentive to remind people to keep coming back, having them bring friends, making sure that everyone shows up when they reserve a class spot. While being nice goes a distance, it is ultimately the workouts that everyone comes back for. Once again, is this the best? No. However, a good trainer within a month can see that $10 quickly turn into $40 or $52.