CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:45 AM   #1
Kevin A Miller

Profile:
Typical compensation for level 1 trainers

I have to hire some level 1 trainers to cover some shifts. I am not sure how much to compensate, so if any owners have advice it would be greatly appreciated. Also, what is the best way to locate trainers in a particular area? I know many trainers first start off as clients, but I don't have that kind of time. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Steven Bowser

Profile:
Re: Typical compensation for level 1 trainers

I heard of a free membership and $4 per body they are training in their class. Dont employ anyone - luckily my wife works for free.
Scratch that - I am working free for her.
What the hell was I thinking?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
James lee

Profile:

here in LA, $25 a class is pretty standard. Maybe look for a trainer with good client base and have him teach for you and give him an incentive to bring his people in.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Andy Petranek

Profile:

Guys, are you kidding me? Don't have TIME to train your trainers? I promise you that you are going to get results directly proportional to the time you invest in your trainers... and this doesn't mean how much you pay them. I've NEVER hired a person from outside our program to teach a class and have no plans to do so in the future. There is WAY too much at stake. I would rather slow down growth, or cancel some classes than to put unqualified, green, unknown people in front of my most important commodity... my students.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
Nick Hanson

Profile:

I am not a trainer at SFCF but I have been training there for nearly a year now. I know Kelly, the owner, does not allow anyone to train that does not regularly come and train in the gym. Then, after they have their level 1 they have to first personal train before they are allowed to do group trainings. I can't imagine it any other way. I definitely wouldn't want some rando training me that I haven't met.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hanson View Post
I definitely wouldn't want some rando training me that I haven't met.
Isn't that what happened when you first walked into the gym? I doubt you knew the owner prior to coming, and if you did, you're in the minority.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Patrick - I bet what he means is that there's a big difference between training for the first time with an experienced coach/trainer that has been at a current gym/affiliate for a while Vs. someone brand new off the street with just CF Lvl 1 cert who hasn't worked at the particular gym long enough.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
Patrick - I bet what he means is that there's a big difference between training for the first time with an experienced coach/trainer that has been at a current gym/affiliate for a while Vs. someone brand new off the street with just CF Lvl 1 cert who hasn't worked at the particular gym long enough.
Yeah, but even the gym owner was an inexperienced trainer at some point (even if he had experience prior to opening the gym, at some point before that, he didn't). If you're never willing to train under anyone except those who already have experience, then how would anyone ever get started? If you're looking to hire a trainer, I'd say to give him a few classes under your supervision so that you can see what he's made of, then if he's good, let him try a few on his own. Ask the clients if they have any praise or criticism, and if it turns out he sucks when you aren't hawking over him, give him the boot.

I had a significant amount of trouble getting clients to hire me this past summer when I began working as a trainer, simply because I was just beginning. Did that mean I was an incompetent or poorly performing trainer? No! Once I got a few clients, all of them enjoyed my teaching, and they made sure that I knew it.

Last edited by Patrick Donnelly : 11-21-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
Kevin A Miller

Profile:

I understand that it is best to hire from within. I addressed that point in my original message. My classes are growing faster then expected and as of right now I have obligations with my other job. During these poor economic times I would prefer the extra revenue rather than cut hours of operation, until I can leave my other job. Thats means hiring another trainer. I think we could all understand that.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #10
Kevin A Miller

Profile:

All I was asking is how much you pay your qualified trainers. Not where you get them from. Thanks for all your responses.