CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #11
Robert Peck Fletcher

Profile:
Re: Weight vs Speed

Check out Performance Menu. There has been some good threads on this subject. I work both ways to solve this problem. An example is FGB. One time I may go with 65lbs on the bar and the next time I would do it with 95lbs. I also practice SDHP, barbell thrusters, and some of the other lifts with a workout of 5 reps each for 3-5 sets with on a 2 minute interval with 135-155 lbs. There more than one way to skin a cat. Of course you could consult Louie Simmons or Dr. Squat Fred Hatfield. They promote lighter weight but increased bar speed to increase power. Good luck!
Old 07-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

What I learned at a Cert:
Intensity is what causes the greatest positive adaptations, I would say use the heaviest weight, that you can do the exercise with, with good (not pristine) form at high intensity, like I'm going to puke or my heart is going to explode intensity.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:58 AM   #13
Jim Allen

Profile:

Thanks for the help guys...

Right now I am doing all body weight intensive WODs as rx'd (Runs, Pull-ups, Glute-Ham Sit-ups, HSPU, etc.) All those exercises work well with my body type. When it comes to the thrusters, dead lifts, and all weighted exersises, I am following the "pack" on brandx scaled forum.

I will keep testing myself each month by increasing weight 5 lbs on weighted exercises until I can hit the rx'd weight.

Jim
Old 07-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #14
David Bittner

Profile:

I am new here too but could not help but chime in on what Robert said. I've been working out seriously for about 27 years. What Robert is referring to where Fred Hatfield is concerned is called CAT training or Compensatory Acceleration Training. By slowing in the eccentirc contraction and exploding in the concentric, the opposing force of gravity to motion increases maximum tension at the point of lesser mechanical advantage (the sticking point) up to 3 times of the actual weight. Fred does not only believe Time under tension, but time under maximal tension is important in terms of power.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:34 AM   #15
Frederick Holt III

Profile:

George,

Great Links, thanks for the post. Another great post by Mounce again. Seriously, write the book about zoning in the dorm.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:53 AM   #16
Brian Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bittner View Post
I am new here too but could not help but chime in on what Robert said. I've been working out seriously for about 27 years. What Robert is referring to where Fred Hatfield is concerned is called CAT training or Compensatory Acceleration Training. By slowing in the eccentirc contraction and exploding in the concentric, the opposing force of gravity to motion increases maximum tension at the point of lesser mechanical advantage (the sticking point) up to 3 times of the actual weight. Fred does not only believe Time under tension, but time under maximal tension is important in terms of power.
David - Work = Force * Distance/Time. If you purposely slow down the movement, you decrease your work output. This is bodybuilding rumor and groupthink, show me the data that says that performance is enhanced through this type of movement.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:54 AM   #17
Brian Wilson

Profile:

Jim - to paraphrase Coach "nature does not make distinctions between "cardio" and "strength"". We need to blur the distinction in our training in order to get the max output in results.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #18
Chris Witkowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wilson View Post
Jim - to paraphrase Coach "nature does not make distinctions between "cardio" and "strength"". We need to blur the distinction in our training in order to get the max output in results.
I read this in this months journal, but have a tough time translating it to my language. Can you elaborate further please? I've been wondering about the answer to this question as well.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #19
John Alston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Wilson View Post
Nature does not also take it easy on you because you're scaling up weight.

Scale down reps and/or time before weight always. This program has enough unscaled sessions to keep your conditioning up.