CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
Christopher Ramirez

Profile:
Being off the Zone and not Crossfitting.

Alright, so as some motivation to some of you here, I figured I'd post this.

It has been 2 weeks now since I've stopped consuming with the zone in mind, and about almost just as long since I've stopped working out.
I've been doing Crossfit since about August. Zoning for the last 2 months...kinda

I feel miserable. The last 4 days I've only been able to sleep for 4-5 hours a night. I'm waking up 2-3 times as well. I'm exhausted all day long. It's horrible. I'm not gonna lie. I was never in tip top shape, but I was getting there. I felt like more of an athlete than I ever have.

This sucks. Hell, I even feel depressed. I never realized how much diet and exercise actually change your life. Now I know. I hope this helps to motivate you all. Especially those of you getting started. Learn!

I'm starting up again tomorrow, cause to be honest, I feel like complete $hit. Hell it's not even 9pm and I'm exhausted. I've been this way all day.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:
Wink Re: Being off the Zone and not Crossfitting.

You may find that you come back with a fresh outlook and fresh strength. Not that 2 weeks off it always good. It may have been a recovery period for you. The diet may also improve your mood and energy. Well. I ramble. Good typing stamina.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
Steven Rogers

Profile:
Re: Being off the Zone and not Crossfitting.

You might want to try the South Beach Diet. It limits high glycemic index foods like the Zone does, but I find it easier to follow. Works for me.

Time to get back to CrossFitting though. Two weeks is enough of a break.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:55 AM   #4
Steve Liberati

Profile:

I'm saving my vacation (from exercise and diet) for Christmas week. I think its essential to do so every so often. Without realizing it, most of us become addicted to the lifestyle of working out hard and eating clean that our "next meal" or "next workout" takes precedence to other important things in life (such as spending time with family and friends and living in the moment, etc).
Old 12-06-2007, 06:03 AM   #5
Jack Gayton

Profile:

Well put Steve. I had a similar revelation when I realized last night that it was 11:15 PM (well past my bed time) and I had been agonizing over the difference in zone blocks and the fitday percentages. I had been doing so for 2 hours!

Had to stop myself and go to bed.. Sometimes a break is well needed. It just should be done for the right reasons (i.e. rest and recovery). I just wouldn't completely fall off the wagon during that period.

Just get back at it. You'll be in the groove by the end of the next cycle! Good luck.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #6
Christopher Ramirez

Profile:

Alright, so I did my first WOD after being off. I felt miserable during the workout. I couldn't finish today. It sucks man. My sets were broken and my run was slow.

I guess I should expand on my first post in here. When I stopped working out, it was cause I was hungover. The next day, I just didn't quite feel up to par cause I hadn't eaten much the day before, and so on. All this over the last 2 weeks. My body has not had any good fuel and I did nothing by way of trying to keep healthy habits. We'll just call it a relapse. It's a horrible feeling. I'll get through. End of this cycle I'll be back to where I should be. Hopefully.

Chris
Old 12-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #7
Jack Gayton

Profile:

You just gotta gut it out man. Set small goals and do them. Follow through. This something I've really been trying to focus on. Next WOD, set a goal and do not stop until you're there. If you come up short, do so in a puddle on the floor exhausted. You'll feel better and be positive going into the next day. Diet plays a huge role, but it's mental too. You can do it.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:58 PM   #8
Andy Rogers

Profile:

I'm gald you're motivated rather than defeated by the setback, Chris. If you're trying to change life-habits to enjoy healthier living, you are bound to fall off the wagon. Even if it would be possible to emmerse yourself entirely in a community of fanatic fitness. =)

Consider it this way... it very likely took you years build your habits and fitness level as of a few months ago. You had to work at it. It's reasonable to assume that it will take a similar effort to move in the other direction. However, the great news is that you've had a taste of the grass on the other side of the fence and found yourself loving the flavor. As long as the setback is recognized and used as motivation and not as an excuse to give up, you'll be fine.

Thanks for sharing, man...

-A
Old 12-08-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
Christopher Ramirez

Profile:

Thank you all for the words of inspiration. It helps out a lot. I hope this thread helps others that are just starting out as well.