CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Donnie Joshua Pickett

Profile:
Crossfit Rookie HELP!

I am very new to crossfit. I am looking to lose around 100 lbs, I really would like to ride in a bike marathon, run a 5k etc, and be a Dad my 19 month old son will grow up to be proud of. I am willing to take all of the advice that I can get, so feel free to give me you input.

I need help with a great fat burning workout, as well as a good diet. I used to many years ago workout quite a bit (muay thai, jkd, mma, etc), I have let me self but am pretty determined.

What advice on working out and dieting?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
CJ Kim

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Rookie HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Joshua Pickett View Post
I am very new to crossfit. I am looking to lose around 100 lbs, I really would like to ride in a bike marathon, run a 5k etc, and be a Dad my 19 month old son will grow up to be proud of. I am willing to take all of the advice that I can get, so feel free to give me you input.

I need help with a great fat burning workout, as well as a good diet. I used to many years ago workout quite a bit (muay thai, jkd, mma, etc), I have let me self but am pretty determined.

What advice on working out and dieting?
Start off by reading "What is Crossfit" and "What is Fitness" if you haven't already. Both are free in the journal and on most affiliate sites. Expect to be sore and tired for awhile (like the next few years, haha). Welcome.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Crossfit Rookie HELP!

The key is to take the time to learn proper form, take it slow and listen to your body. Are you doing CF on your own or will you be going to an affiliate gym? BrandX lists scaled versions of the workouts, which is key for people just getting into it (the link to the brandx forums should be in the FAQ).

If you go to the testimonials section you will find other people who have done just what you want to do: lose a lot of weight and get fit.

Most people around here like a Paleo style diet for losing weight (often referring to The Paleo Diet book). Short explanation is that you make your meals out of meat, nuts, fruit, and vegetables. Grains, legumes, and dairy are left out. Because the protein, fat, and vegetables are so satiating almost everyone can eat whenever they are hungry and lose weight. Most people also find they have better energy levels too. So I'd check that out.

Hope that helps!