CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #11
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Re: Trainers compensation

Not to sound like a sales pitch, but if you guys see it taking 3-5 YEARS to get to making 3-5k per month, you need to start reading the CFLA Biz Blog and checking out the CFLA Biz materials that are out there.

CFLA has about 260-270 active students and about 12 private clients. We have 4 full-time instructors and a couple part-time. We recently expanded from a 1200 square foot gym, to a 4000 square foot free standing building. I'm not going to give out my own salary numbers, but suffice to say I make more now than I did working in the film and TV business as a full-time editor.

It is completely possible to make a great living at CrossFit and it does not require loading up on private clients. It requires a good business model!

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 08-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #12
Thomas Stevenson

Profile:

I understand where you are coming from. but I'm fighting an uphill battle. This is not my gym. I was brought in to take over day to day when the owner moves. There was no business model and pricing is so poor its going to take time to rebuild the image. The people with the money are dragging thier feet to promote, they all have pie in the sky ideas then don't want to shell out any money for them. I can't even get fliers out. We don't even have a sign that is visible from the road and we are off of a busy freeway exit. I'm implementing price changes soon. Supposedly we are kicking of a big promo campaign the second week of September, and will be getting a giant sign so people know where we are. Also we aren't in a densely populated area such as LA. I know what the problems are its going to take at least 6month to a year to fix.

The reason why people have a hard time making money at this is they don't run it like a business. They are the same people who think paying 150 a month is too much then open up there own gym and charge half that thinking they are helping people out but all they end up doing is offering a cut rate service, and don't give a flying F(*& cuz they aren't in it to make a living, so their reputation mean nothing then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Borawski View Post
Not to sound like a sales pitch, but if you guys see it taking 3-5 YEARS to get to making 3-5k per month, you need to start reading the CFLA Biz Blog and checking out the CFLA Biz materials that are out there.

CFLA has about 260-270 active students and about 12 private clients. We have 4 full-time instructors and a couple part-time. We recently expanded from a 1200 square foot gym, to a 4000 square foot free standing building. I'm not going to give out my own salary numbers, but suffice to say I make more now than I did working in the film and TV business as a full-time editor.

It is completely possible to make a great living at CrossFit and it does not require loading up on private clients. It requires a good business model!

Last edited by Thomas Stevenson : 08-13-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #13
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Borawski View Post
but suffice to say I make more now than I did working in the film and TV business as a full-time editor.
Hmmm now I am curious how much full-time editors make...
Old 08-14-2009, 06:45 AM   #14
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Stevenson View Post
The reason why people have a hard time making money at this is they don't run it like a business.
This is the problem, exactly!

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 08-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #15
Mark Griffith

Profile:

Another business mentoring option is Craig Patterson at CrossFit Vancouver.
According to Patty, his method is different from CFLA, but both are successful.

Those are two really good resources for all things CrossFit business.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #16
Thomas Stevenson

Profile:

Where can I get more information about these resources. Maybe if I get some stuff on paper from outside sources maybe the owner and my money man will take my requests for change more seriously.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #17
Thomas Stevenson

Profile:

Damn I checked out both CFLA and CF Vancouver. I wish I could afford the mentor program. I wish I could afford anything really. I'm personally filing for bankruptcy as soon as I can crape enough together for lawyer & filing fees. I know if I can get some obvious changes made I can become financially stable again. Just by my presence I've helped change a lot and increase the value of instruction given, we are just missing obvious pieces of the puzzle that frustrates me because they are basic for any business, but like I said before it hasn't been run like a business. I have a lot to gain and offer by making this box successful. Anyone have any good tips on getting media publicity mainly newspaper and how to approach these venues.

I don't even live in the community where I work which makes it even tougher to get the word out, i commute 40miles to coach at this box that's how much I love doing this.

I feel like i'm on top of a gold mine with no pick or shovel and all I have is my bare hands.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #18
Aaron Vasquez

Profile:

I understand your position completely Thomas. At this point have you thought about starting over, but doing it your way and maybe in a new place. Start small then grow. There is nothing wrong with knowing when it is a lost cause. The last thing you want to do is have your situation turn you away from something you love to do.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #19
Thomas Stevenson

Profile:

Its not a lost cause its a great location and good people. Just needs restructuring. I will have more control soon. Things are changing just slower than I'd like. I would invest money in it I just don't have any. I'm just not patient I don't understand why we are waiting tell September to launch our re-grand opening... If it doesn't happen I will lose some trust in the people who suppose to be backing me and this box. If some of the projects come to fruition things will change. I was brought in to add to the training aspect not the business and told big things were about to happen then everything keeps getting pushed back.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:05 PM   #20
Dennis Moriconi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Stevenson View Post
I feel like i'm on top of a gold mine with no pick or shovel and all I have is my bare hands.
Better get to scratching!

Thank you for this post. It is very interesting to see the business ups and downs of CrossFit. I am going to school for Management and hope to have my own box sometime soon.

Posts like these keep my dreams out of the clouds and remind me that just because I love it so much and I know it works, doesn't mean I can just put up a box of my own and expect the money to automatically roll in.

Much goes into ANY business, CrossFit Affiliates and all.