CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Gerry Dunn

Profile:
Warm Up?

What's the best way to warm up prior to doing a WOD or is it necessary to warm up?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Warm Up?

If I'm feeling/cold/stiff tired I like to do 3-5 minutes of some light activity--jog, bike, jump rope, pull the sled. If I'm feeling warm/loose/not tired I'll go right to the following:

Joint rotations--gym class stuff, rotate my shoulders, neck, hips, torso, ankles, wrists

Dynamic mobility and more specific warm up exercises--usually 5-10 minutes of work of 3-5 different exercises not taken to failure. On a leg focus day it might be lunges, banded good mornings, goblet squats, supermans. On an upper body day might be pushups, pullups, some abs and rotator stuff. If I'm hitting everything it might be a mix of the two trying to hit the pressing motion, the pulling motion, hip hinge, squat, abs and low back.

Then if I have any naggin areas, I might do some more traditional stretching work/mobility work after things have warmed up from the stuff above. So if my hip flexors are tight I'll do a couch stretch before moving on. If nothings nagging me, I reserve stretching for post WOD. I might also do pre-hab exercises here--rotator cuff, hips, core.

Then if I'm doing something I haven't done in a while, some sets with the empty bar and work up the weight a little to get comfortable. If I'm hitting something I've been doing recently, I'll do less warm up sets since I don't need as much practice.

So if I haven't snatched in several weeks and I'm doing a metcon couplet of snatches with sprints, I might do some specific snatch work first. But if the WOD just called for dips, pullups and airsquats I'd jump into it after the general warm up.

When I do strength work before a metcon, I might do less specific warm up for the metcon based on how much overlap there is. So if I did strength work with squats and then a metcon with thrusters, my hips are pretty loose, so I don't need to do much thruster prep before jumping into the WOD.

I think your age and personal preference will also play into this. I used to be a basic warmup guy 5 minutes on the cycle and go to it. I feel doing a more extensive warm up gets me moving better for the whole activity. Maybe its because I'm getting older?
Old 10-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

You can search for the old CF warmup. I think it was something like pullups, pushups/dips, air squats, samson stretch.

I personally like to hang from rings and swing to side in a straddle. Great for loosening up upper spine and lower spine and hips. Then hang from a bar in pronated and supinated and do shrugs.

I do some bear and crab walks but that's just me and mainly for my wrists as they are recovery.

Then some leg swings, pullthroughs/dislocates with a band, DB swings from behind to overhead ( a bit like swinging to HS on PB ).

Some lunges, broad jumps, (I like duckwalks and side lunges A2A), high knees and butt kickers, ankle/toe raises.

Generally some lying leg wipers. Generally pops the right side of my back. Hip circles loosen up my tight right hip.

Maybe some cuban presses/rotations with light DB.

Then with a bar, get into the bottom and stay there awhile. Do squats. Then presses or push presses. Rest. Rack it in front squat rack and hold, then get in bottom and hold awhile. Do front squats, then some push and split jerks.

Maybe some position pulls which are like stiff leg deadlifts or good mornings.

Often a warmup with a 300m row or jump rope. Honestly, I'd prefer the short casual row to a jog. My hip is not a fan of the jogging on concrete so I row rather then run. I generally also bike ride to the gym.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Alberto Cabezas

Profile:

the classic crossfit warm-up is:
samson strech x 10 sec
OHS x 10 w/pvc
ring dips x 10
sit ups x 10
pull-ups x 10
back extensions x 10
3 rounds of that

if i'm doing a tough workout like a benchmark (murph, cindy, etc.) i'll do some static strech, move the joints, sweat just a little bit.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Gerry Dunn

Profile:

Thanks guys.. I appreciate it.