CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #71
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Sectionals Held Online- Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Smith View Post
Sectionals are what $100 to sign up? If you have to go to an affiliate 6 times it's still probably going to cost you around a $120, and this is just guessing that affiliates are going to charge a $20 drop in fee. Add in gas/mileage it's still going to cost the crossfitter $$ but it looks like the only one saving money is HQ.
Registration is $10 in North America, $5 in the rest of the world
Old 01-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #72
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Smith View Post
Sectionals are what $100 to sign up? If you have to go to an affiliate 6 times it's still probably going to cost you around a $120, and this is just guessing that affiliates are going to charge a $20 drop in fee. Add in gas/mileage it's still going to cost the crossfitter $$ but it looks like the only one saving money is HQ.

And having volunteered at the sectionals here in Norcal I have to say I'm really disappointed about this new setup. I think the atmosphere was the best part of this. Be surrounded by all these great athletes and I'm talking hundreds of them...not just a handful.
Everyone needs just a bit of patience. All of the details will be sorted out in due time and will make sense.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:18 AM   #73
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
Looks like Coach wants to treat these open sectionals as more like "Post Times to Comments" in the daily blog. Just that now you pull out an iphone or flip cam and record it as you do it. Strong hints of Fran being one of the WODs.

Glassman on Finding the Fittest - NFS due to language.

On a related note (in reference to the video), since Tony Horton of P90X fame is coming to my base in Yokosuka, Japan next Monday, I hope to ask him if he or any of his clients/customers plan to tryout for these open CrossFit Games with a grand prize of $250,000.
Better yet - do some workouts with him, and invite him to do workouts with you.

See how everyone sizes up.

Well, I didn't invite him or any of his staff to do a workout with me, as I'm completely out of shape CrossFit wise. However I did the following:

After teaching my Kanji class, I arrived late for the evening workout hosted by P90X. I took some photos of the group class, then decided to join in the last half (fun to do in cammies and boots). Not claiming it's easy, as like most pt programs it's as hard as you make it with nothing really to gauge your intensity. Tony Horton did like to make fun of Zumba and Dance type work-outs during his session. However, he's in amazing shape for a guy that's 52 years old (or any age), I'll not deny that.

Half hour later there's the group photo and the line-up for autographs, photos. Anyway, I (having forgotten my earpiece for audio recording on my iTouch) activate the video camera on my cell phone and let a student of mine (who skipped out of my class to go to this workout, grrrr) hold the phone while I ask Tony Horton if he'll take Greg Glassman up on his open offer to compete at the CrossFit games. Not much of a response, as I'm guessing he does have tour requirements. Now I just have to figure out how to get the video from my phone to my computer (instruction book is in Japanese, may take a while). Still not much of a video.

Anyway, later I return and ask his staff member (brother? some bald guy with kanji down his right and left arm that I translated for him) about CrossFit Games. I try to be earnest that this is not about finding the best CrossFitter, but is genuinely trying to find the most physically fit persons on the planet. I explain the open sectionals and regionals and games. I then add that Greg Glassman is on video offering an open invite for P90X members to compete at the games.

Personally I hope they consider and take Glassman up on his offer. I'd really like to see how Tony Horton would fair in the 50 to 54 Master's category and direct P90X candidates do in the games.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #74
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I still have no clue why Greg Glassman is challenging Tony Horton or why Tony Horton would give two craps about the Crossfit Games.

Tony Horton probably wipes his a$$ with 250k and I still don't think he's every said anything inflammatory about Crossfit to garner Glassman insulting him and then challenging him.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:36 AM   #75
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
I still have no clue why Greg Glassman is challenging Tony Horton or why Tony Horton would give two craps about the Crossfit Games.

Tony Horton probably wipes his a$$ with 250k and I still don't think he's every said anything inflammatory about Crossfit to garner Glassman insulting him and then challenging him.
Well, they're assuming that if you buy Google Adsense words "than Crossfit" and have an ad that says "better than crossfit" then maybe you should back up your words with measurable results. CrossFit games offers such a measurable result by providing 50 men that beat out 10,000+ other active competitors.

Now, I don't know if the story behind the open challenge is true, but a challenge remains. Here are open seats that grant members of your program a 1/53 chance (falsely assuming all final competitors are equal) of winning $250,000. I don't care if you wipe your *** with it or not, that's a lot of money. If a company claims to put a program that touts itself as better than CrossFit, yet refuses free admission in a competition with a majority of people using CrossFit as a primary training tool, then they're just giving lip service and don't believe what they're saying.

Personally, I think Tony Horton could do well in the master's category, but hasn't a chance in hell in the open competition. I doubt anyone using P90X as the primary training tool will likewise do good.

However, if a little jab to the ego is what it takes to get other training systems to try out then I'm all for it. I'd love to see major disciplines go at it just like year one of ultimate fighting. The top discipline that wins time after time to become the dominate trait trained.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #76
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

I'm going to make some mock weights out of Styrofoam and kill sectionals.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #77
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Am I the only one here who thinks this conversation is moot, because for the most part the p90x folks, or even athletes from other sports, would most likely laugh at the fact that we do workouts competitively. Sure we call it a sport, and I'm not disagreeing with that or trying to put it down, but externally it sounds pretty silly when you come from a place of training to improve at your sport, training to improve your appearance... while for us training IS our sport.. we train to train.
On top of that all the call outs in the world won't change the fact that for the most part the typical p90xer doesn't care about competition, they just want an intense workout they can do at home. If they were competitive then p90x likely isn't their only training because they're probably playing sports as well, sure there are exceptions to every rule, but for the most part the mentality isn't there.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #78
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Am I the only one here who thinks this conversation is moot, because for the most part the p90x folks, or even athletes from other sports, would most likely laugh at the fact that we do workouts competitively. Sure we call it a sport, and I'm not disagreeing with that or trying to put it down, but externally it sounds pretty silly when you come from a place of training to improve at your sport, training to improve your appearance... while for us training IS our sport.. we train to train.
On top of that all the call outs in the world won't change the fact that for the most part the typical p90xer doesn't care about competition, they just want an intense workout they can do at home. If they were competitive then p90x likely isn't their only training because they're probably playing sports as well, sure there are exceptions to every rule, but for the most part the mentality isn't there.
Does this even have a point? Other people don't like crossfit, so why do it? What you said has nothing to do with an opinion on the OP's post.

If someone wants to be the best in the world at working out, so be it. And any means that they want to host such a competition which will allow more people to do it is a good thing.

I for one, don't give a flying F what someone who does P90x thinks. It's hyped up jazzercise.

Last edited by Matthew Swartz : 02-03-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #79
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

I wasn't responding to the OP, I was replying to the past couple posts regarding the invitation of Tony Horton and P90xers to compete at the games. I don't give an "F" what they do either, but what I'm saying is they most likely care equally little about what we are doing. That's all I was trying to get across.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #80
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
Well, they're assuming that if you buy Google Adsense words "than Crossfit" and have an ad that says "better than crossfit" then maybe you should back up your words with measurable results. CrossFit games offers such a measurable result by providing 50 men that beat out 10,000+ other active competitors.

Now, I don't know if the story behind the open challenge is true, but a challenge remains. Here are open seats that grant members of your program a 1/53 chance (falsely assuming all final competitors are equal) of winning $250,000. I don't care if you wipe your *** with it or not, that's a lot of money. If a company claims to put a program that touts itself as better than CrossFit, yet refuses free admission in a competition with a majority of people using CrossFit as a primary training tool, then they're just giving lip service and don't believe what they're saying.

Personally, I think Tony Horton could do well in the master's category, but hasn't a chance in hell in the open competition. I doubt anyone using P90X as the primary training tool will likewise do good.

However, if a little jab to the ego is what it takes to get other training systems to try out then I'm all for it. I'd love to see major disciplines go at it just like year one of ultimate fighting. The top discipline that wins time after time to become the dominate trait trained.
You are really on the fact that just about anyone should jump on that 250K cash prize and compete? I'm pretty sure that Tony Horton still doesn't care about a Crossfit competition, even if he was challenged.

And I'm sure he personally took that add out that said "better than Crossfit". Do you even know what exactly the add means? Does it mean that it's better at getting you ready for Crossfit than Crossfit? Or does it mean that it's better at getting you looking ripped (which is what 90% of people working out want, crossfitters aren't the norm) than Crossfit?
If it's the latter then what the hell would competing at sectionals prove?

"Oh they're better at working out than me. But I still look darn good. Which was my original intention!"