CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
Sebastian Milla
Member Sebastian Milla is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Palo Alto  CA
Posts: 52
Packish to Big Dawg: Sebastian's Log

Hokay, so, been crossfitting since 08' and figured it was about time I started keeping track of everything in a place where everyone can help me out with what i'm trying to accomplish. What am I trying to accomplish? I'm trying to go from a decent crossfitter to a wrecking ball. Tall order, I know, but I've got a plan and, with the help of the fine people that inhabit this forum, it just might work. The idea is this, lean out to ripped status until September 22nd, when UCLA reopens the doors to its classrooms and the gym. By then my body will hopefully be in prime condition to do one thing, shuttle all the food that I will consume into my muscles so that can go from the scrawny 146 lbs. of lean body mass that I currently possess to the brawny 185-190 lbs. that are the crossfit asskicking elite. Hopefully this will occur in about a year or two.

The stat sheet:

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 154 lbs. (as of Sunday)
BF%: I assume somewhere around 8% (i calculate my rough lean muscle mass and bone to be 146 lbs.)
Fran: about 9:30 scaled (dog**** I know but I never learned how to kip so my pullups are done the slow way)
Deadlift: 230 lbs.
Squat: 220 lbs.
Press: 100 lbs.
CnJ: 155 lbs.
Snatch: 95 lbs.

amateur numbers i'm sure but I will say that I am not half bad at the bodyweight metcon seeing as I'm light as a feather.

So until spetember 22nd I'm ketogenic and bodyweight metconning (spelling?)/crossfitting on a 7 day on 1 day off ratio to get as leansauce as possible and then its a year or two of gaining. lets see where this goes.

Monday: August 16, 2010

Found this weird "Sacha Inchi" oil mixed with olive oil in the supermarket in Lima (summer vacation is Peru every two years to see family). It claimed to be 54% omega 3 in the supermarket so I took it home and put it on my steak yesterday morning and goddamn if I didn't feel resurrected when I got up today, which surprised me cuz today is day 5 of my 7 day on routine. anyways, work looked like this:

50-40(50)-30-20-10
Tuck jumps
Situps

14:24

I definitely added and extra ten in on the 40 round because I forgot where I was so I just added ten to be sure hence the (50). All in all it felt pretty good considering that my last two days have been burpee central but I'm sure that if I'd cooled that i would've shaved a good minute or two off of that time. Diet went well until the night when I overate on some nuts and then whopped down a lucuma (google it, best fruit ever) alcoholic beverage after a movie with the cousins but hey, I leave tomorrow and it was damn tasty so I guess I'm making it up tomorrow with something sadistic like:

3 rounds for time:
600 burpees
Fran
Helen
Helen again
Fran again


I don't know, if this is my confession you all can write me my penance

Anyways, I hope that someone reads this and deems me worthy of advice because I'm going to need help creating a hypertrophy plan (it currently consists of, I kid you not, "high rep everything barbell/rings" written in the notes application of my ipod touch) in the future. more on that later. i'm a little tipsy and I drank a lil too much water so i'm going to go pee and then sleep
hope to hear from y'all soon
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Sebastian Milla
Member Sebastian Milla is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Palo Alto  CA
Posts: 52
Re: Packish to Big Dawg: Sebastian's Log

Tuesday: August 17, 2010

Went for the "Don't Eat Til' You're Beat" punishment and worked out directly after getting up in the morning, which has never exactly sucked for me because I like the idea of earning a meal especially because I was earning eggs and the eggs here are gold (literally, the yolks are so orange its scary).

Half mile run

For time:
Following a 15/1 rep scheme
HSPU 15-13-11-9-7-5-3-1
Pullups 1-3-5-7-9-11-13-15

between 8-9 minutes (used an old fashioned analog wristwatch and was kind of tired)

Walking lunge for 400 meters

Half mile run

It was better than flagellating I'll tell you that . I was glad that my time was under 10 mintues but I'm pretty sure that I could've done it in seven easy if I knew how to kip...I guess i'll have to work on that at some point. Breakfast was three eggs (because one egg is NOT one fat block...it's 3 as I just figured out) scrabmled with garlic and sauteed onions :stir: hits the spot in ways nothing else can, I'm going to miss peruvian food more than the eighties misses reagan.
Anyways, flying on the red eye back to L.A. tonight so I'll be dead tomorrow for my evening WOD...I might go easy on myself.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #3
Sebastian Milla
Member Sebastian Milla is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Palo Alto  CA
Posts: 52
Re: Packish to Big Dawg: Sebastian's Log

Today has been declared a rest day mainly because I got three hours of sleep last night traveling American Airlines
__________________
http://http://www.board.crossfit.com...ad.php?t=64159<-------Mah log
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
Sebastian Milla
Member Sebastian Milla is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Palo Alto  CA
Posts: 52
Re: Packish to Big Dawg: Sebastian's Log

Thursday: August 19, 2010

Hit the wods HARD today to make up for yesterday. it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be though, I guess a lot of good clean food and eight hours rest is all the body needs for a hard reset after a spitty day.

Morning

15 rounds for distance:
20 sec. sprint
40 sec. rest

about 1 mile

I ran around my block 5 times which makes it a mile give or take a hundred meters. the circuit also had a hill so that was...nice

Afternoon

AMRAP in 20 minutes:
2 jumping Muscle Ups
4 HSPU (wall assisted)
8 45 lbs. swings

20 rounds

the jumping muscle ups weren't nearly hard enough but i still worked up a great sweat from the swings. next time ill have hopefully built my homemade power rack a pull up bar to hang my rings from (they are currently unadjustable because they are more or less nailed to my ceiling).

my dad and I apparently had tainted sashimi last night because he spent the entire early morning puking his guts out. I, on the other hand, got up at 8:30 , pooped, and that was it . My stomach is a G.
Two great discoveries today:
1. Bok Choy is kind of sweet after you grill it, and its yummy as hell.
2. A book called something along the lines of "Strength and Conditioning for Football". Its got programming that looks promising for mass gain so i'll read it and post my thoughts. At this point it looks promising as hell (save for the fact that it recommends isolation exercises but I can easily sub in chins and dips for those pesky curls and tri extensions).
__________________
http://http://www.board.crossfit.com...ad.php?t=64159<-------Mah log
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Sebastian Milla
Member Sebastian Milla is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Palo Alto  CA
Posts: 52
Re: Packish to Big Dawg: Sebastian's Log

Still in Palo Alto, chilling with everybody have been skimping on the diet and the exercise but did get in a game of quidditch and catch so it has not been a total loss. Going to Sky-High and a soccer game today so we'll see.
__________________
http://http://www.board.crossfit.com...ad.php?t=64159<-------Mah log
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Jacob Israel Briskin
Member Jacob Israel Briskin is offline
 
Jacob Israel Briskin's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Palo Alto  California
Posts: 1,153
Re: Packish to Big Dawg: Sebastian's Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Milla View Post
Still in Palo Alto, chilling with everybody have been skimping on the diet and the exercise but did get in a game of quidditch and catch so it has not been a total loss. Going to Sky-High and a soccer game today so we'll see.
Quidditch? Dude, why are you asking me about GOMAD? I think a good Engorgement Charm would be much quicker (and wouldn't make you nearly as flatulent).

Seriously though, yes you should ease into it. I went from no milk to GOMAD over the course of about two weeks, starting with a quart a day and adding another quart every few days. It can be a chore to stick with it (and some people will think you're crazy), but it's worth it.

I don't know what your goals are, so take this advice with some salt, but since no offense you are not very strong now, I recommend either pure linear progression (i.e. Starting Strength, exactly as written) or at least something very heavily strength biased. If you tell me what your goals are my advice might change a little, but at your current level believe me when I say that getting very strong will bring everything else along with it. If you want to be a well-conditioned asskicker there will be time for that later.

Also, your Facebook pictures don't look like as skinny as 154lbs, but maybe I'm not very good at guessing. Anyway, let me know if you have any questions. Peace.
__________________
Citius. Altius. Fortius. Training log.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Sebastian Milla
Member Sebastian Milla is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Palo Alto  CA
Posts: 52
Re: Packish to Big Dawg: Sebastian's Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Israel Briskin View Post
I don't know what your goals are, so take this advice with some salt, but since no offense you are not very strong now, I recommend either pure linear progression (i.e. Starting Strength, exactly as written) or at least something very heavily strength biased. If you tell me what your goals are my advice might change a little, but at your current level believe me when I say that getting very strong will bring everything else along with it. If you want to be a well-conditioned asskicker there will be time for that later.

Also, your Facebook pictures don't look like as skinny as 154lbs, but maybe I'm not very good at guessing. Anyway, let me know if you have any questions. Peace.
Starting strength has failed/semi-failed me a couple times before so I'm going to try something different this time around. I think that the 5X3 progression is amazing and taxing and whathaveyou but the putting 10 pounds on the bar every time was just became impossible for me after two weeks time, especially with a heavy emphasis on squatting.
I bought a book called "Complete Conditioning for Football" and have been reading through it for inspiration with excellent theoretical results. Essentially their weight training plan is a hybrid of SS with the Performance Menu Mass Gain plan: A base phase consisting of olympic and strength lifting for hypertrophy followed by a development phase consisting of olympic and strength lifting for, well, strength. So I would be squatting twice a week, pressing, cleaning, snatching, benching, all that wonderful stuff but mixing it up every month or two by dropping two metcon days in the base phase for extra strength days in the development phase. add a dash of easy/heavy days into the mix and the program shapes up to look pretty much adaptation-proof, which is what has stopped me from succeeding with SS in the past (i.e. not being able to squat or press past a point). The progression is slower, granted, but I've got a whole year to do this so that's not really and issue for me. The goal, my goal, is to gain 40 pounds of functional muscle mass and I feel that this is going to be the way to go; alternating hypertrophy and strength cycles.
As for my fbook pictures I'm hovering around 160 currently (i think my grandma's scale in Peru was off when I put down 154) but at the same time I can kind of see abs and arm veins so I dunno. My body comp has always been thicker looking because of crossfit so I just chalk it up to the fact that crossfit makes you look bigger while weighing less
I really appreciate the insight Jake, please keep it coming!
__________________
http://http://www.board.crossfit.com...ad.php?t=64159<-------Mah log
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Jacob Israel Briskin
Member Jacob Israel Briskin is offline
 
Jacob Israel Briskin's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Palo Alto  California
Posts: 1,153
Re: Packish to Big Dawg: Sebastian's Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Milla View Post
Starting strength has failed/semi-failed me a couple times before so I'm going to try something different this time around. I think that the 5X3 progression is amazing and taxing and whathaveyou but the putting 10 pounds on the bar every time was just became impossible for me after two weeks time, especially with a heavy emphasis on squatting.
I bought a book called "Complete Conditioning for Football" and have been reading through it for inspiration with excellent theoretical results. Essentially their weight training plan is a hybrid of SS with the Performance Menu Mass Gain plan: A base phase consisting of olympic and strength lifting for hypertrophy followed by a development phase consisting of olympic and strength lifting for, well, strength. So I would be squatting twice a week, pressing, cleaning, snatching, benching, all that wonderful stuff but mixing it up every month or two by dropping two metcon days in the base phase for extra strength days in the development phase. add a dash of easy/heavy days into the mix and the program shapes up to look pretty much adaptation-proof, which is what has stopped me from succeeding with SS in the past (i.e. not being able to squat or press past a point). The progression is slower, granted, but I've got a whole year to do this so that's not really and issue for me. The goal, my goal, is to gain 40 pounds of functional muscle mass and I feel that this is going to be the way to go; alternating hypertrophy and strength cycles.
As for my fbook pictures I'm hovering around 160 currently (i think my grandma's scale in Peru was off when I put down 154) but at the same time I can kind of see abs and arm veins so I dunno. My body comp has always been thicker looking because of crossfit so I just chalk it up to the fact that crossfit makes you look bigger while weighing less
I really appreciate the insight Jake, please keep it coming!
Word.

Coupla things; SS/linear progression/"The Program" is not designed for you to add 10lbs to all of your lifts each session, especially to the bench, press, and power clean. Some giant genetic freaks may be able to sustain 10lb jumps on their squat for a few weeks, but we mortals should move to 5lb increases after the first few workouts. Ditto for the other lifts. Eventually, some smaller plates would be a good investment to keep progression going. Resetting (i.e. reducing the weight by about 10% on the workout after you "stall" and resuming with smaller jumps) is also important.

Also, how much were you eating on these occasions when SS "failed you"? Often, trainees think that they are eating "a lot" or "enough" when in fact they are not. Can you give me an example of what this program you're thinking of following would look like? Say, 1-2 weeks worth of workouts?

In any case, consider another crack at linear progression, this time with proper increases and a more serious commitment to your food.
__________________
Citius. Altius. Fortius. Training log.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
Sebastian Milla
Member Sebastian Milla is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Palo Alto  CA
Posts: 52
Re: Packish to Big Dawg: Sebastian's Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Israel Briskin View Post
Word.

Coupla things; SS/linear progression/"The Program" is not designed for you to add 10lbs to all of your lifts each session, especially to the bench, press, and power clean. Some giant genetic freaks may be able to sustain 10lb jumps on their squat for a few weeks, but we mortals should move to 5lb increases after the first few workouts. Ditto for the other lifts. Eventually, some smaller plates would be a good investment to keep progression going. Resetting (i.e. reducing the weight by about 10% on the workout after you "stall" and resuming with smaller jumps) is also important.

Also, how much were you eating on these occasions when SS "failed you"? Often, trainees think that they are eating "a lot" or "enough" when in fact they are not. Can you give me an example of what this program you're thinking of following would look like? Say, 1-2 weeks worth of workouts?

In any case, consider another crack at linear progression, this time with proper increases and a more serious commitment to your food.
**** it. I'll do SS again and eat more I'd like some help with the progression though as that is what has screwed me before. should i just eat or should I zone at mass fat block level? also im subbing the second squat day for OHS. and im doing curls just cuz rip says its okay. plus pull ups and dips.
hahahaha oh man, thanks jake I have faith it'll work out this time.
Five pound jumos every workout right?
__________________
http://http://www.board.crossfit.com...ad.php?t=64159<-------Mah log
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
Joe Bernard
Member Joe Bernard is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 2,626
Re: Packish to Big Dawg: Sebastian's Log

Hey Sebastian, you and I are looking to achieve the same goal. I did SS last fall and put on 25lbs in three months (although I lost most of the weight due to not eating enough afterwards). The program does work, you just have to make sure to eat enough and make sensible jumps for each workout. To make sure I ate enough, I plugged everything into www.fitday.com (wfs) and made sure to eat at least 3,000 calories per day, no matter what; I was averaging 3,500 at the end. I like using fitday better than zone blocks, but its your call. Concerning jumps, you can go as little as 2.5lbs per workout when the weight gets really heavy; my bench press and press were both increasing by that much every workout towards the end.

I'm currently doing Crossfit Football because squatting 3x/week as SS has you doing is very taxing, and I strained both hamstrings due to not recovering well (poor sleep due to college) while on SS last fall. I would first do the program as it's written, and then add in other stuff if you want, don't start adding stuff in from the start or else it will compromise recovery and gains.

Why are your squat and deadlift numbers so close? Are you squatting deep enough? Also, why are you trying to lean out and then gain weight?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Packish to Big Dawg: Sebastian's Log Sebastian Milla Workout Logs 0 08-16-2010 10:12 PM
OPT Big Dawg Challenge Naples, Florida Anthony DiSarro Competitions 1 08-05-2010 10:52 AM
Log, Log....It's big, it's heavy, it's wood. Kris Reeves Workout Logs 88 06-19-2009 12:12 PM
I'm a big dawg with puppy experience Tony Arms Starting 8 04-08-2009 10:44 AM
Big Dawg, Pack and puppies Joey Shannon Starting 5 12-08-2008 06:50 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.