CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-30-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
Dwayne Holloway

Profile:
My bar arrived last night. Attempted some light cleans to get the feel. Solid bar with a good knurl grip. As stated by someone else before, time will tell on the reliability so I can't comment on that. HUGE difference from what I had been using and now I understand what you all mean by the "whip". I spoke with Glen on the phone and was impressed with the time he was willing to spend trying to find out how I would use the bar and what I needed.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
Krista A. Jones

Profile:
The women's Pendlay training 10K and competition 15K are great as well! My women clients (and I) love the feel of the knurl and actually can lift more with that smaller diameter.

(Message edited by Krista_J on August 31, 2006)
Old 08-31-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
Paul Findley

Profile:
Used my crossfit version last night for the first time. It was difficult to slide on my kraiburg bumpers. They seem to hang up on the rough turning of the bar in that area. Still usable, I had to be sure that the weight was sliding on straight or it would bind. Might sand it smoother, lubricate it, or see how it goes. I suspect the surface digs into the softer brass bushings on the kraiburgs, I don't think there is a size mismatch, just the rough surface. It might be worth spending more time turning that surface or finishing it some other way. This bar is a big step up from my Walmart bar.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:57 PM   #4
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Paul,

I will certainly take a couple of the "Crossfit" bars to the gym to see how my Kraiburg bumpers fit and see if there is any problem.

We do, however, make the sleeve surface a little "rough" on purpose, with fine concentric lines in it. This is done so that plates, especially metal plates, do not slip off during a set. Most Olympic lifters, and I assume many people doing crossfit workouts, when using bumper plates do not use collars, and if the sleeve of a bar is really smooth, this makes the plates slide a lot, especially in a humid environment. I would imagine the many of the crossfit bars will be used in a garage, which in many places means a lot more humidity than in an air-conditioned gym.

I suppose there is a trade-off... the sleeves could be made smoother but the plates would both go on easier and also slide off easier during a set!

If anyone else reading this has ANY problems getting any plates on the crossfit bar, please post immedietly. If a change needs to be made, I will make it at once!
Old 08-31-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
Paul Findley

Profile:
Thanks for the reply. We use spring clips on our bar. I was putting the plates on with the bar starting on the floor, so the first plate goes on with the other end of the bar resting on the floor so it was "difficult" to get the right angle on the plate. I will try it some more.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:54 PM   #6
Dwayne Holloway

Profile:
The plates go on if I keep the plate straight. I do like the fact they wont slip off easy because I don't use collars. That's a good idea. Still like the bar. My wife and daughters used it yesterday and liked it also. Thanks Glen!

Krista, do you like the womans bar or the junior bar better? When my wife found out there were lighter bars of good quality she decided that was my next purchase.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:09 PM   #7
John Seiler

Profile:
See Dwayne, doing Crossfit is just like getting married. You find out about all these shortcomings you never knew you had and life is easiest if you quit thinking and just do what you're told. :biggrin:

Just kidding ladies, I love you all!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:04 PM   #8
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Dwayne,

The womens and junior bar are exactly the same between the collars. exactly. The difference is the length of the sleeve, and also the thickness of the tubing on the sleeves, both reduced to get from 10kg down to 15kg. We have tested both up to a 400lb clean and jerk, and have no reason to believe they wouldnt handle more, or for that matter 700 or 800lb squats and deadlifts, although i have no idea why anyone would ever want to do those kind of lifts on a womens weightlifting bar or a junior bar.

If your wife is going to be using more than 60-70kg, you should go ahead and get the womens bar, just because you dont want the pain in the rear end that would come from not having room to load weights.

I know the womens bar is more expensive, but ill tell you what... I have a couple of womens bar shafts that are uncoated (still straight steel insted of black oxide)... if a lack of $$ is what is keeping you from getting a bar for the wife, give me a call and I will make you a very, very good deal on a bar with an uncoated shaft. I just have them left over from when I used to sell the bars in uncoated steel, and need to do something with them.

Once the wife does some lifts on a bar with a 25mm diameter shaft, and finds out how much better that smaller diameter feels for a womans smaller hands, believe me, she will love it.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:06 PM   #9
Eric Allen Kerr

Profile:
Not knocking your product or the processes you use to produce it, Glen, but for informational purposes only.

Black oxide is for appearance only. It offers a relatively uniform brown to black surface appearance. It provides little to no corrosion protection by itself. In fact, black oxide is rust, just magnetite (Fe3O4) instead of red-rust, hematite (Fe2O3). For additional corrosion protection after black oxide, a coating of rust preventative such as oil and possibly rust preventative and wax needs to be added for best results. I'm pretty sure you don't want oil and wax on your weight lifting bar!

Anyway, a black oxide coating will wear and will eventually show signs of red rust (hematite), the same as an uncoated bar, it will just look better for longer, so don't let the lack of a black oxide coating stand in the way of a good deal.

@Glen

What, if anything, do manufacturers coat the high end bars with, hard chrome? Or do they just use alloys that are relatively corrosion resistant?
Old 08-31-2006, 11:41 PM   #10
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
Eric,

I know what black oxide is... and no offense taken and I hope I dont give any either, but, black oxide bars DO NOT rust or "discolor" at a similar rate as a plain steel bar. Yes, it can wear off over time. Especially on the sleeves where it would be worn by steel plates, which is why the sleeves of my bar are chrome... chrome stands up to that kind of wear better.

I have black oxide bars that have been in my gym for 6-7 years with no discoloration and no rust (except the black coating itself, which is as you said is actually a kind of rust). A straight steel bar will begin discoloring and rusting in a month in most gyms, certainly in mine.

Chrome actually does NOT cost any more to coat a bar with than black oxide. For me I think I would actually save a couple of dollars if I had the sleeves and shaft both coated with chrome. I chose not to because chrome is slippery... it simply doesnt feel as good in the hand as a steel bar. You have to have a sharper knurling on a chrome bar to get the same kind of grip as a steel bar, you really need a center knurling with a chrome bar or it will slip on squats.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both coatings... chrome lasts longer and is more rust resistant, though I have seen plenty of chrome bars rust quite badly in the knurling if they are not taken care of... but it is slippery, not giveing as good of a feel in th hand, and you need that center knurling if you are going to use it for squats, which then becomes a drawback when doing cleans as it can scrape up your neck.

Black oxide is not as durable, though I have quite a few black oxide bars that have been in heavy use for a long time, and I have yet to see one with the coating worn off yet. It is more susceptable to rust, although I think it does protect quite well... I have a lot of my bars in use in our gym and they are not rusting... while the straight steel bars are rusting quite quickly in our humid environment. We use a "swamp cooler" instead of air conditioner to save money, so our gym is about as humid a place during the summer as you will find. But, the advantage is that it feels better in the hands, and doesnt slip on the back as bad even without a center knurling.

When I was doing "prototypes" I did some bars in chrome and some in black oxide, and some in other finishes... I guess what it came down to was what the lifters I coach liked. They just plain didnt like the feel of the chrome bars as well...

And, I would also add, that if anyone would ever want a bar that was all chrome, all black, or even a satin chrome look like some of the York bars (which I like and think looks really good) I can make any special order, and for no extra charge... although you would have to wait a few weeks for it. I can also do any custom knurling pattern, or anything else neccessary to make a custom bar exactly the way you want it.