CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #21
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
Hope the women CFers sweep the weekend!

Ken

Old 01-10-2007, 04:05 AM   #22
Chad Lott

Profile:
There are 3 five person teams from Oakland signed up.

We're probably going to rent a bus/van thing to ride down in
Old 01-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #23
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
Chad,

That's remarkable!

That's 5 CrossFit teams that I know of.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:37 PM   #24
Krista A. Jones

Profile:
CrossFit Weekend Warriors will be there on the 9th!
Old 01-14-2007, 09:41 AM   #25
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
For those who are getting together teams, I'll post a thread around 1 June, asking if any teams have lost anyy members. Some of the people running as individuals may be willing to fill in
Old 01-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #26
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
Tips For Running the Mud Run.

The Mud Run is 10km. It is mostly running, but the obstacles make it a very slow race. The winning time is usually around 40 minutes. The vast majority of the 3500 participants (3300) will take more than an hour to run it.

The race starts at 0900hrs. The base asks that you be at the gate by 0630 to get through security. This is gotten much faster in the past two years, and you can arrive closer to the start time without time stress. But parking is about 1.5 miles from the start. You can walk or take the suttle bus provide (free).

The Temp has been in the low 50s or mid 60s at the start, frequently with an ocean haze overcast. It can be chilly. However, if the haze isn't burned off by race start time, it will by by 0930 and it will very likely be HOT.

The starting gate is packed,so if you want to get a good start, you'll need to get to the gate by 0830

1st Obstacle: 100 meters after starting you'll be sprayed by a fire hose.

2nd Obstacle. about 100 meters further you'll run across the first of many streams. Depending on the amount of rain, these could be dry stream beds to knee deep, a few meters across or 20 meters.

3rd Obstacle (not always there) crab crawl under a cami net.

Next Obstacle: At the top of long hill will be either an obstacle of hay bales you'll need to walk/run/jump over and/or about 50 ft tires you'll need to get across.

1st Mud Pit. You can stand upright for this. It's about 100ft long and the mud varies from a few .1 to .5 meters. In the middle is a 2m wall you need to go over.

100 meters on is a 150meter lake. This was over my head one year, but other years I could walk across with the water at chest height.

2nd Mud Pit: like the 1st pit with a 2m wall to climp over.

2 Conduits. about 8m long each, you need to crawl through

Very Steep hill. Guy at the top of the hill has a fire hose trying to wash you back down the hill, and the road up the hill is muddy with flowing water.

Final Mud Pit: You have to get on your hands and knees in this pit to get under the ropes going across the pit about .5m above the mud. The water/mud is about .5m deep.

100 meter sprint to finish
Old 01-14-2007, 11:04 AM   #27
Kenneth R Davis

Profile:
Training Tips: (cont)

The mud run is mostly running, up and down hills. You need to be able to run a hard 10k. My personal threshold is running 6:30miles (or better) on the street, in order to break an hour on the mud run

I strongly recommend you bring 3" duck tape to wrap around your shoes to keep out gravel. You will get gravel in your shoes, but the tape helps. Nevertheless, I use a quick-lace system which allows me to slip off my shoes, empty the gravel and put the shoes back on, quickly.

I wear bicycle gloves to protect my hands. I am the only person that does this, but it gives me confidence I can hit the ground, jump the walls, climb through the conduits without hand injury.

The water obstacles are not to worry. The first water hose is cold, but it gets hot so quickly, it's more welcome than not.

Mud Pits: The 1st two you can go across upright, but they are VERY exhausting. You cannot run through the mud. I think the best way to cross is to take long steps so you'll have fewer times you'll have to pull your feet up from the mud.
The mud is firmer and less deep along the edges of the pit. It makes sense to me to go along the edges of the pit rather than the middle where all the people are crossing and frequently falling over each other.

You can't walk in the final mud pit. You'll have to get on your hands and knees to get under the ropes .5m over the water surface. Here the DEEPEST water is best. I have pulled/floated over the mud where there was water over the mud. Last year there was almost no water on the mud, and I had to crawl the 20m. Look for where there's water over the mud.

The Conduit aren't hard except they're towards the end of the race (5 mile point) and you'll be tired. They are littered with rocks and gravel, making it tough to go through them on your hands knees. Squat training is great for this. My personal training bench mark is 100 squats, nonstop. This also helps with stepping, jumping over the hay bales and stepping through the tires. You can never do too many squats.

The lake is a real time sink. If you wade through the water that is 1.5m or deeper, it will take you a while to get across. The lake is about the length of a football field. There are two ropes with floats defining a "path" across the lake. People are directed to stay between these two ropes as they cross the lake. I use one of the ropes to pull myself hand-over-hand across the water. I'm floating and it is MUCH faster then wading. However, you'll need alot of upper arm strength to keep this up for the full length of the lake. If you have a climping rope, this would emulate pulling yourself across the water. Since I don't, I'm just using pullups as a training strategy.

Run, Run, Run. The obstacles make up only short distances of the full 10k race. Between each obstacle is 100m or up to a mile or more run. Running fast will help make up for the time the obstacles costs. After you get off the hardtop at the start, you'll run along sandy roads, ruts, and hard dirt. There is one uphill stretch that must be at least 3/4 mile followed by a steep 1/4 mile descent. This descent in my opinion is one of the toughest obstacles. The hard dirt road is covered with a fine dust that your feet can easily slip on which is easy to do because you're tired. It's about 1.5 miles from the finish. (There's another steep descent before the final mud pit) Training to lean forward on a descent without loosing control, especially when tired, is curcial to posting a good time.

Gatoraid was provided in 2006. It was especially helpful right after the conduit for the last 1 mile. The final mile has the most obstacles: 2nd mud pit, conduits, steep muddy hill with the fire hose guy, and very steep descent to final mud pit. The sugar and water from the gatoraide helps.

If you live near Camp Pendelton, you can practice the last 1.5 miles of the race. Most of the course is off limits, but the final stretch is through a park that is open. The mud pits won't be filled until a day or two before the actual race,and the guy on hill with the fire hose obviously won't be there. But, you can practice climbing the hills and looking for best way to run the race.

If you can't get to Pendelton befor the race, then, by all means take advantage of walking the final 1 mile of the course. You will park your car very near to the 2nd mud pit and conduits. Rather than take the shuttle bus to the start, I always walk the final mile of the course checking it out. This also allows me to check out the final mud pit and see where the water is deepest.

If anyone has other trainng tips or insights, please share them with the rest of us.

Prior race times are posted at www.y-events.com

Thanks.

Ken

Old 01-15-2007, 09:27 AM   #28
Andrew Thompson

Profile:
To anyone interested in running Cowles Mtn. this morning ( 9:15 AM), or in the future, here are directions at this site.

http://mtrp.org/directions.asp?idno=2

(w/f safe)
Old 02-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #29
Nick Cruz

Profile:
This will be my first time running the mud run or anything longer than a 5k WOD. What kind of shoes are best for this type of terrain?

Ive got 2 teams put together for the 16th run, but only half of us are crossfitters. The other half of the group is made up of runners (10k's half marathons, marathons).

Should be fun!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:53 PM   #30
Departed

Profile:  
Some of us are doing the Mountain Warfare Training Challenge (from the mud run website) on May 19. So if you're northern CA or NV, please join us!
(yes, it's safe for everyone)
www.camppendletonraces.com/mwtc.html