CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-15-2006, 12:40 AM   #1
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
I'm looking at getting USAW certified either in May or June (depending on which cert. I go with). The choices are the Sports Performance Coach or the Club Coach certification:
http://www.msbn.tv/usavision/displayPage.aspx?id=341
There seem to be some subtle differences between the courses and I'm a bit confused about which to attend? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I did the Sports Perf. Coach Cert a year ago and I really enjoyed it. The guy who taught it told me that basically the only difference was on the last day we spent about 1/2 the day doing plyos and kettlebell work instead of going into the squat cleans & jerks and snatches.

The first day and a half were oly lifting: hanging, from the floor and cathing in the power position. We didn't get down into the full squat versions, but it was still worthwhile.

I would do the club coaching coarse if I was to do it again. The plyo stuff was fun and interesting, but I wouldn't mind more oly lifting work. I don't think the Kettlebell stuff is actually part of the program, but the guy who was assisting was an RKC so he gave a nice KB tutorial. That was pretty cool, but I wouldn't count on that happening at your SPCC.

Bring tape and chalk cuz your hands will get torn up after 2 full days of oly lifts even if you're just using an empty bar.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Keith,

Thanks a lot for the info. I was worried that the Sport Performance Cert. would not go into the full squat versions of the lifts. Looks like I wont be going till June.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I did the club coach cert. From what I've heard elsewhere, the sports performance cert was a watered down version of the club coach with some other things thrown in. That seems to be echoed here.

I know that I will get a lot more practical, useful info on coaching OL (and my personal OL practice) from Coach Burgener's CF OL cert when I eventually go. The USAW was a lot of didactic stuff and way too little time with the bar IMO.

For the widely recognized certification, the USAW is pretty much the standard. Saying that, the cert by no means implies any competence on the person holding it (as with most certs). We were walked through the answers to the final "test" before we actually took it. Not that a paper test has any correlation to coaching, it seemed to take away from the integrity of the whole thing though.

My question is, where did they come up with the erroneous idea that a "sports performance" coach shouldn't know how to teach his athletes the full squat versions of the OLs?
Old 04-15-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
I thought Coach Burgener taught the USAW Club Coach Cert. Is his CF OL cert any different?

I don't think any certification necessarily means that much...a person's abilities aren't measured by the letters after their name. Certainly no weekend certification can adequately prepare you to be an awesome coach or lifter, not even the Crossfit Cert. Nonetheless, we need these weekend certifications to learn and grow and expose ourselves to great coaching and learning new techniques.

Aside from CF and USAW there aren't a lot of people out there teaching Oly lifting regularly. We need more of it. Thank goodness for Coaches Glassman and Burgener and the USAW folks.

I know money is an issue but any time spent with coaches learning oly lifts is time and money well spent. Do the Sports Performance Cert, the club coach cert, the Crossfit cert. Do them all. You can only get better.

Edit: Sorry, I just read that back and it sounds like I'm harping on Dr. G. I certainly am not. Sorry if it reads/sounds like that. I think you're great, Doc. Really loved you on Crossfit Live the other night.

(Message edited by musashi on April 15, 2006)
Old 04-15-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Thanks for the compliment Keith. I totally agree with you on time spent learning OL is time well spent. There is a possibility I may drive 3-4 hours for a session with Lincoln B. this upcoming weekend as I know of no other OL coaches in Tucson. I would venture to say that several sessions of private form work with a good coach is likely to benefit a lifter more than the USAW cert, IMO. I do bet that this varies with different instructors.

I was under the impression that Coach B teaches both the USAW and the CF OL cert separately. I believe he is allowed to express more of his own style (ya, burpees!, I believe) in the CF cert.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:33 PM   #7
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
I did the Club Coach course up here in Phx., and really enjoyed it. We spent a lot of time under the bar. That was a while ago, however, so they might have changed the curriculum a bit. I get the feeling that a lot depends on the person that is coaching, also.

BTW Garrett--picked up a second C2 last week. It's getting crowded now, so the next one I find is yours.:happy:
Old 04-15-2006, 09:38 PM   #8
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Nice, Ken!

I've been trying to stay off CraigsList and EBay, they present temptations I have trouble avoiding. Besides that, I don't have room in my garage gym for a C2 anytime soon (at least until the wife lets me sell the darn treadmill she rarely uses). Guess I'll have to get an affiliate going down here pretty soon!
Old 04-16-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
The midwest crew is doing a Club Coach cert, next month. Only 6 people, one of them is a Green Bay Packer strength coach. Talked to the course coach on the phone and he is kick A$$. I expect a lot of time under the bar and no help on the questions. He suggested we study hard prior to attending the class.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #10
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
I am taking the club coach course this coming weekend (22-23) in Sacramento and after talking with the coach teaching it, it sounds like i will have a very good experience as well. he also said to study hard and be ready to spend a lot of time with the bar. I can't wait!!