CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Aaron Trent

Profile:
United States IS Sending Weightlifters to Olympics with 2nd at Pan-Ams

After much gnashing of teeth and bad coaching the United States has earned 2 spots at the Olympic Games for mens Weightlifting. Our women have already secured 4 spots.

Our boys finished second place behind a dominating performance by Cuba, and a strong performance by Casey Burgener (who has close ties to CF) placed him 2nd in the Super-Heavyweight class (+105 kg). He totaled 380kg at the meet which is well under his Total PR (394kg).
Old 03-26-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: United States IS Sending Weightlifters to Olympics with 2nd at Pan-Ams

Well that's good to hear. How sad would it be if the US couldn't have weightlifters at the Olympics. It's not cool when a sports NGB (National Governing Body) screws up so bad that it darn near kills the sport.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
John C. Brown

Profile:

Aaron,
hey I am not sure and maybe you could clear this up for me, do the lifters themselves earn spots, i.e. Since Casey B got second he is going to the Olympics. Or is that the U.S. earned two spots and they can use them as judiciously as possible to gain a medal spot i.e. although someone places high in the qualifying rounds but won't be very much competition for the French Canadian super planetoid weight class king so they take a 185 pounder. And not for nothing, I believe Casey weighs a whole lot less then the other competitors in his weight class. I may be talking out of my arse, but that was the last word I got when I asked someone close to him.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
Aaron Trent

Profile:

John,
There will be a competition in Atlanta on May 16th and 17th to determine who will be going to Beijing. I'm not sure exactly how the decision is made but I know they calculate who has be best chance of placing well somehow. If Mike Burgener or someone else with more knowledge of the process wants to weigh in, I'd appreciate it.
I would like to see Casey go even if the rest of the world has some sick lifters.

PS: I might go to Atlanta and watch, tickets are only $12, and I think it would be fun.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Aaron...GO!!! It would be worth watching.

Here is the email from the USAW:

March 23, 2008

USA Weightlifting Men's Team Qualifies for Two Olympic Slots at Final Olympic Qualifier in Callao, Peru

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The USA Weightlifting Men's Team will be represented by two athletes on the Olympic platform at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing China. Powered by consistent performances by all eight men competing for the U.S. at the 2008 Pan American Weightlifting Championships and final Olympic qualifier, this weekend in Callao, Peru, the U.S. men's team finished the event in first place as a team among country's not already qualified for the Beijing Games, thus securing two Olympic slots for the United States men. The U.S. men also brought home the overall team silver medal from the event, finishing just behind Cuba.

"I am extremely proud of our team," said Dennis Snethen, Interim Executive Director for USA Weightlifting. "We accomplished our goal for this competition which was to secure the two available Olympic slots. All of our guys contributed to this success with consistent lifts in a high pressure meet. Now we move on to the Olympic Trials in Atlanta, Ga. in May where these teammates will now compete to see who the two Olympians will be."

Canada also secured two Olympic slots and Brazil, Ecuador and Argentina each earned one Olympic slot a piece through their team's performances at this important event.

Please see below for the individual totals for Team USA from the 2008 Pan American Weightlifting Championships:

Derrick Johnson (St. Louis, Mo.), 62kg Weight Class - 240kg total (107kg snatch and 133kg clean and jerk) - 14th Place Overall

Matt Bruce (Baton Rouge, La.), 77kg Weight Class - 325kg total (145kg snatch and 180kg clean and jerk) - Fourth Place Overall

Chad Vaughn (Konawa, Okla./Norman, Okla.), 77kg Weight Class - 322kg total (142kg snatch and 180kg clean and jerk) - Fifth Place Overall

Kendrick Farris (Shreveport, La.), 85kg Weight Class - 347kg total (150kg snatch and 197kg clean and jerk - silver medal) - Fourth Place Overall

Zach Krych (Colorado Springs, Colo.), 85kg Weight Class - 319kg total (140kg snatch and 179kg clean and jerk) - Sixth Place Overall

Jeff Wittmer (Florissant, Mo.), 94kg Weight Class - 347kg total (155kg snatch and 192kg clean and jerk - bronze medal)

Casey Burgener (Bonsall, Calif./Colorado Springs, Colo.), 105+kg Weight Class - 380kg total (170kg snatch - silver medal and 210kg clean and jerk) - Fourth Place Overall

Zach Schluender (Colorado Springs, Colo.), 105+Weight Class - 375kg total (167kg snatch - bronze medal and 208kg clean and jerk - personal record) - Fifth Place Overall

The top eight U.S. men represented the USA at this critical event. The event was full of pressure for these eight individuals as U.S. representation on the men's 2008 Olympic platform was dependent upon their combined performances.

Following the conclusion of the 2007 World Weightlifting Championships in Chiang Mai, Thailand, in September, the U.S. men thought they had done enough to secure three Olympic slots as they sat in a 27th place combined finish from the results of the 2006 and 2007 World Championships. This would have made the U.S. the final country to qualify slots for the Olympic Games. Christmas of 2007 was not kind to the USA men as the grinch (in the form of the International Weightlifting Federation website) visited, taking away the three Olympic slots that the team had thought they had secured. The International Weightlifting Federation re-calculated the team standings following doping positives by athletes from other teams and, despite the fact that no one on the U.S. team tested positive, the U.S. men dropped one position in the overall team rankings, thus losing the three Olympic slots they thought they had earned. The shift in order, due to doping positives in teams that finished above Team USA, caused a re-shuffling of points and the final mathematical breakdown moved Chinese Taipei above the United States leaving the U.S. men's team as the first team not qualified for the Olympic Games. Easter proved to be a better holiday for the U.S. men's team.

The eight men that secured 2008 Olympic participation for the USA will move onto the 2008 U.S. OIympic Team Trials for Weightlifting, May 16-17 in Atlanta, Ga., where they will be vying with 22 other men for two positions and a chance to perform on the Olympic platform in Beijing. For the eight men that represented the United States at the 2008 Pan American Weightlifting Championships, this event will count as their National Championships in regards to ranking going into the Olympic Trials and will be their secondary Olympic qualifying event.

The United States women have qualified for the maximum of four competition slots for the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China. The number of 2008 Olympic slots was determined by combined team placement at the 2006 and 2007 World Weightlifting Championships. The 2006 World Weightlifting Championships was held in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, September 30 - October 7, 2006 and the 2007 World Weightlifting Championships were held in Chiang Mai, Thailand, September 17-26, 2007. The USA women qualified for the maximum of four Olympic slots based on their final placing of eighth as a team from a combined formula of the 2006 and 2007 World Championships. The USA women had originally placed ninth, but their team ranking improved by one position following the recalculation of team points after doping positives were discovered for teams that had originally placed above the United States.

The 2008 USA Weightlifting National Championships, February 29 through March 2 in Columbus, Ohio, served as the final event to determine athlete ranking prior to the Olympic Trials for the women. To see the rank order of the top 30 women for the 2008 U.S. Olympic Trials for Weightlifting please visit www.usaweightlifting.org . The weight lifted at the 2008 National Championships is the secondary Olympic qualifier for the women. USA Weightlifting did not send a women's team to this year's Pan American Championships since the U.S. women have already secured the maximum number of Olympic slots available.

A total of 260 athletes will compete in the sport of weightlifting at the 2008 Olympic Games. In accordance with the rules of the International Weightlifting Federation, a country could qualify to enter a maximum of six men and four women for the 2008 Olympic Games. USA Weightlifting will hold the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team Trials, May 16-17 in Atlanta, Ga. to determine which athletes will fill the slots it has earned for both women and men.

2008 USA Weightlifting Pan American Championships Men's Team

Derrick Johnson (St. Louis, Mo.), 62kg Weight Class
Matt Bruce (Baton Rouge, La.), 77kg Weight Class
Chad Vaughn (Konawa, Okla./Norman, Okla.), 77kg Weight Class
Kendrick Farris (Shreveport, La.), 85kg Weight Class
Zach Krych (Colorado Springs, Colo.), 85kg Weight Class
Jeff Wittmer (Florissant, Mo.), 94kg Weight Class
Casey Burgener (Bonsall, Calif./Colorado Springs, Colo.), 105+kg Weight Class
Zach Schluender (Colorado Springs, Colo.), 105+Weight Class

Head Coach: Paul Fleschler (Colorado Springs, Colo.)
Assistant Coach: Dennis Snethen (St. Joseph, Mo.)
Team Leader: Kyle Pierce (Shreveport, La.)

For more information, please contact Cecil Bleiker, USOC Manager of NGB Media Services in the USOC Media & Public Relations Division at 719-866-4608. This press release is also available on the USOC's media specific website at www.usocpressbox.org.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
John Seiler

Profile:

Two boys from the Lou! Who knew we were such a source of Oly lifting talent?
Old 03-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
Ron Wilhelm

Profile:

Casey was 11th @ World's 2007, where he totaled 400. He was the best placed US male.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilhelm View Post
Casey was 11th @ World's 2007, where he totaled 400. He was the best placed US male.
Was that the competition where his lift did not count because there was a problem with his attempt card?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
Ron Wilhelm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Trent View Post
Was that the competition where his lift did not count because there was a problem with his attempt card?
I didn't see anything about that- a 170,177,182 snatch and a 210, 218 C&J with a rack but no stand on 225. My source is MILO.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:43 AM   #10
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Aaron - that was last years Pan Am Games if my memory is correct.
Casey did 224 kg c&j but they didn't count it.

BTW - if you haven't seen Kendrick Farris C&J = check it out on youtube. The most wicked semi split/semi squat jerk I've ever seen