CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-08-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Chris Spealler

Profile:
Question for any of the newcomers. I was wondering if there was a place that posted beginners workouts or a scaled workout for you. Just curious what those might be and how you like them to start out with.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Chris,
Here is a link to our site:
http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16

We've been scaling the front page WOD for beginners for a couple of years.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I have some body weight only scaled workouts
http://www.simplefit.org/workout.html
http://www.simplefit.org/workout2.html

And some beginner paleo/zonish nutritional guidelines
http://www.simplefit.org/nutrition.html

Enjoy
Old 05-08-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
Luke Hope

Profile:
Chris,

I have been CF'ing for several weeks now. I used and use Jeff's brandx scaling (THANKS JEFF!!!), normally the "pack" version. What you should do is take your individual circumstances into account. I'm strong in my legs but have relatively weak upper body strength. I'm also a lightweight (only 145 pounds). Thus I have to reduce weights further. The CF FAQ page states that weights are designed for an average 175# person, so I tend to divide listed weights by 175 and then multiply by 145 to get a weight that's right for me.

Once you've done the above for a month or so, and have also done some maximum effort workouts, you get a feel for what weights you can use to challenge yourself. I personally try to maximise the weight with the proviso that I can finish the exercise, as my cardio fitness is high and my strength is low. I know my body better now so I just do my own weight scaling (looking at my past scaling as a reference, and bumping it up as I get stronger!) and keep the repetition amounts as prescribed.

Good luck!

-Luke
Old 05-09-2007, 04:11 AM   #5
Chris Honnon

Profile:
Chris,

Everything Luke said!

The Brandx scaled down WOD's have been terrific for me. I could most certainly scale down a WOD myself, and I have done so before checking out Brandx. However, one of the things that keeps me going is the sense of accomplishment I feel when I complete something as RX'd. I'm new to fitness so there is no way I'm going to RX most of the WOD's but there is always a Brandx scaled version that I can push through. Furthermore, Jeff breaks them down to several levels so that you can pick the version that poses a challenge for you while still being obtainable.

Chris
Old 05-09-2007, 05:29 AM   #6
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Chris:

You're in luck! Today's WOD is the CFT or Crossfit Total. A couple of us have played around with using the CFT as a way to scale the strength-based WOD's; call it "rational scaling". There is a thread in the WOD section of the board on how and it also includes a couple of other ways to scale.

Scaling using the CFT is somewhat controversial and in talking with other CF'ers much more experienced than I am a couple of things to emphasize come up regularly: there is no better resource than a CF trainer, especially in the beginning of your CF career. If you have access to an affiliate you should get there and have the trainers get you started. It's worth an hour drive and whatever the fee might be.

And, of course (bowing toward Wichita and beyond toward California), the goal is ALWAYS to proceed to "as Rx'd" in all of the WOD's!!

Welcome aboard. Fasten your seatbelt.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
Chris Spealler

Profile:
thanks for all the advice and posts guys