CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-28-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
Jan Szyndler

Profile:
Can anyone comment on what they believe might be the best training dvd(s) for the oly lifts?
Thank you.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:23 AM   #2
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Jan
First, I think this belongs under "Equipment."

Second, if you mean DVDs to learn the lifts, then you are out of luck, but the guys from World Class Coaching have two VHS tapes that are hands-down the best! Do a search of the boards for World Class Coaching. Call them and they'll send you the tapes. You can get them converted to DVD.

Third, if you mean training hall DVDs, then I don't know. I just ordered some off Ironmind and I'm guessing they'll be very inspirational.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:37 AM   #3
luke allen

Profile:  
i got the two dvd's by world class coaching from crain's world. here is the link.

http://www.crainsmuscleworld.com/specialtyvideos.html

the two i got were the world's most powerful lift (the clean) and the world's fastest lift (the snatch) they told me that they do not offer it in vhs any more, only dvd now. i agee with keith, great instruction.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:06 AM   #4
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
AWESOME!!! Jan, get those now!!! I'm so happy they are on DVD now. I might have to order a second set on DVD just so I have them. Thanks for the update, Luke.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
Jan Szyndler

Profile:
You guys are not the first to mention those two dvd(s). It looks like that it what I am going to go with.
BTW, do you both have the Worlds Fastest Lift? If so, is it true that Steve Miller has a bit of a different approach to the snatch by having the lifter always on the heels.
Thank you for the all the help.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:27 AM   #6
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Keith called it - moving to Equipment...
Old 05-29-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Dan John's "From the Ground Up"
If its half as good as his carried away DVD its worth every penny. Been meaning to order it but it isn't a priority at the moment with me moving across coutry and all.

http://www.crossfitnorcal.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=15&PHPSESSI D=fdebe11a869253992eb01b660e1d40d9
Old 05-29-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Jan,

Yes, the approach on the WCC videos recommends lifting by keeping the heels down. They make the point that if you want to jump you should come up on the toes and if you want to move the bar, you should stay on your heels.

I think the most interesting point they make on the subject of the heels is that you see the heels lift off the floor occassionally, but that is a function of the muscles firing to pull the lifter under the weight and not a function of the drive off the floor. If you watch in slow motion you can see that the lifters are lifting their heels late and that it doesn't impart force to the bar. You can see that heels pull off the floor slightly when the lifter starts to reverse direction and go down. Right after the heels come up the hair starts to stand up implying that the lifter is going down fast.

This is a dramatic difference over the triple extension method taught here in the states. Definitely watch and study the tapes. Great stuff.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
Jan Szyndler

Profile:
Thanks for the insight Keith!!
Old 05-31-2006, 06:29 PM   #10
Bret Parkhill

Profile:
I haven't seen the WCC dvd's but know they are highly praised here. I have the dvd from USA Weightlifting's web page. It is excellent in my opinion. I'm not an experienced Oly lifter though.

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/ca...181708&count=1

I don't know if the WCC tapes were just dubbed to DVD or if they reshot them but the USA Weightlifting dvd is shot with a digital camera and has crystal clear slo mo.

I eventually plan on getting the WCC ones also.