CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-21-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
Garrett Smith

Profile:
My wife is an ex-gymnast. She is concerned that rings are inherently dangerous to the shoulders (and upper body in general). I'm trying to let her know that I'm not swinging around the darn things, doing D or E level moves, nor overtraining any specific movements. Heck, right now I'm just doing ring dips and muscle-ups. Big deal, yet that's not what she thinks when she sees my arms shaking up there.

Are the rings getting a bad rap here? Are there particular moves that I can tell her are more associated with injuries that I'm *not* doing? Roger? Anyone?
Old 06-21-2006, 09:55 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Roger would know more about the specific movements, that gymnasts typically get injured doing, but just looking at the drills and skills page, and talking to an ex-gymnast friend, my biggest concerns would be if you were doing some of the rolling stuff if she did not have the shoulder flexibilty before attempting the moves, or if you were doing something with hands away from the body, ie iron cross, that requires alot of developed strength to perform. Other than that I don't see any reason why the rings would be inherently dangerous as long as you are following the proper progresions. In fact as a therapist the more I can get people to hang with their arms overhead the better whether its from a bar or rings. Rings are even better because the unstable nature of the rings make the neuromuscular conections of the shoulder girdle virtually eliminate the possiblity of the weird movement syndromes like frozen shoulder that are so common in women.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:28 PM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:
For basic skills inlocates and dislocates can cause injury if they are learned wrong. As you start working towards swinging giants if you do that incorrectly you put an enormous strain on your shoulders. As far as static work the only "risky" move is an iron cross with shoulders rolled forward. If you really get it locked out properly and are not strong enough to be doing it you can tear some muscles, but it is extremely unlikely that this situation would arise. The biggest risk for CF folk is just loosing control and crashing to the floor, in which case it's the floor causing the injury, not the rings.

Yes, high level swinging skills place tremendous loads on the body. Downward impulse of 8X bodymass. High level strength moves can result in pulls and tears. eg Blaine Wilson's bicep tear during a maltese in Feb 04.