CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
Carlos Cristan

Profile:
Fish Oil Product Quality Question?

I just recently started taking Fish Oil Capsules, and am unsure about the quality of the product I purchased and the amount of capsules I should be taking each day in regards to Zoning. I'm looking for value here in that I want the most product (of the best quality possible) for the least amount of money. The product I currently have is GNC brand Fish Body Oils 1000, 90 Capsules for $7.99.
One softgel capsule contains 180mg of EPA Omega-3, and 120mg of DHA Omega-3. Im on a 16 block diet, on a 4-4-2-4-2 schedule, and I'm guessing that I should take 2 maybe 3 capsules with each of my 4 block meals for a total of 6-9 capsules and 1800-2700mg of Fish Omega-3.
If anyone can provide any specifics on a product that can compete with this one on cost and higher or just as high in quality, please feel free to reply. Also any help on how many capsule I should take of this specific product each meal every day for the best results would be great.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
Alex Byron

Profile:
Re: Fish Oil Product Quality Question?

Start by checking out this page on the Zone website. According to the table, there are four different quality standards for fishoil. When researching fishoil products, see which standard it meets or beats.

My wife recently mentioned that Nordic Naturals was high quality fishoil, but after browsing their site they only claim to meet NMS and EP standards, not CRN or IFOS.

Beneath the table on the Zone site linked above, check out the two links for the IFOS test results and the price comparison chart to see how to compare fishoil supplement values by content/concentration vs. price.

Looking at the GNC product you mentioned it has a lot less EPA and DHA per serving, meaning you have to take a lot more softgels, which negates the savings due to its cheaper price.

Also, while it mentions some generic indepent testing, it does not claim to meet or beat any of the four standards mentioned earlier, so I'd be wary about its quality.

Here is another page that describes a product meeting the IFOS standard, with the same EPA and DHA content as the Omega RX product, but a few bucks cheaper.

Long story short: When researching fishoil, consider a) the purity level by what standard it meets (or doesn't) and b) the actual value by calculating what a serving really costs you depending on the amount of EPA and DHA you get.

Disclaimer: Links are all w/f/s, I'm not affiliated with any of these companies, I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, etc. etc. blahblah, yadayadayada...
Old 05-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Hey, Thanks Byron. I've been to the Zone site, and already read most of what you mentioned. I was wondering if I was missing something as far as testing standards due to the fact that the GNC brand I have is tested using AOAC international protocols, and it isn't even mentioned on Dr. Sear's website. I read something about determining quality of fish oil by whether it freezes or not.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
Frank E Morel

Profile:

the gnc regular and double strength oil is a bit of a joke when it comes to the doses of dha and epa .. the ultra on the other hand is very respectable.

I did find a syrup from healthfromthesun .. it was like 1500 mg per 5 ml which is a teaspoon.. and it was lemon flavoured. The other thing that i can think of that would be an issue, is the convience of popping caps is missing.

the gnc stuff never shows up on any study for mercury free ... i keep looking for the supplier as I am sure its a relabel of something else.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
Frank E Morel

Profile:

stand corrected.
the gnc site has the statement that its pure and tested.
The fish oil in GNC Omega-3 Soft Chews has been purified and manufactured for freshness and removal on contaminants such as lead, arsenic, mercury, and PCBs. We use only the best quality ingredients derived from wild, deep ocean fish

wfs
http://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/O...e_Oils/omega3/
Old 05-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
Alex Byron

Profile:

Right, and for the fish oil 1000 he mentioned, it says

Quote:
This product is regularly tested (using AOAC internationalprotocols) for potency and purity by an independent, FDAregistered laboratory and found to be free of detectablelevels of mercury, cadmium, lead and PCBs.
but it fails to mention whether it actually meets any of the four standards mentioned on the Zone site. That's why I personally would stay away from their products.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:56 AM   #7
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Byron View Post
Right, and for the fish oil 1000 he mentioned, it says

but it fails to mention whether it actually meets any of the four standards mentioned on the Zone site. That's why I personally would stay away from their products.
Right. I went to the AOAC website, and the information isn't provided. You can purchase a journal, or just one report at a price, but even after paying there probably isn't any gaurantee that I'd find the report on the product I'm looking for. Rather than pay the price I'd be better served just using that money to buy one of the products you guys mentioned above. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
Chris Witkowski

Profile:

Can you guys evaluate Coromega Omega-3 orange flavor?

http://www.coromega.com/index3.html
Old 05-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
Frank E Morel

Profile:

dha /epa is low.. the lipids is 2 grams... and it has a sweetner.. grant its stevia.
plus it doesnt say, its per caps or teaspoon or shovel .. are these powdered ?
oh answer...grade fish oil into a creamy, delicious pudding-like emulsion.

syrup is cheaper, more bang for the bang, and if you want flavouring.. its there.

personally, I would put it back on the shelf... flavour or no flavour.

Last edited by Frank E Morel; 05-28-2008 at 06:27 PM..
Old 05-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #10
Alex Byron

Profile:

Agreed. Plus, I haven't been able to find a statement on their site about which, if any, purity standards their product meets.