CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #31
Casey Crooks

Profile:
Re: I have failed at getting ripped for 5 years..please help!

You WILL NOT deplete your glycogen stores doing a metcon. Running a marathon, yes.
How often are you doing fran? You shouldn't be hitting any one workout particularly often. Once, maybe twice, per month.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #32
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
There is more to this story. You have not been eating 1500 calories for 5 years straight.
This is obviously the solution to the OP's riddle.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #33
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
You're never going to get ripped on a starvation diet. Your body will store fat for the impending famine
A starvation diet for 5 years IS the famine. This sort of illogical myth would lead to the conclusion that it's impossible to starve to death.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #34
Scott A Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kim View Post
Now that I'm around 2000 calories a day, I'm wondering if I should float around 2000-2500 just to see what happens.
Makes perfect sense. Increase kcal, lose bodyfat.

/sarcasm
Old 04-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #35
Steven Chicoine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kim View Post
Doug: Not sure, I've done Cross Fit 3 days a week since Mid-Jan and I lift at least once a week.

Benjamin: That is a very interesting observation and I am really considering removing PWCarbs from my diet. My only "fear" is that I will be completely depleted of glycogen constantly and that it will wear on my muscles. Also, I have heard from multiple sources that carb cycling accelerates fat loss, which is why I was going to incorporate the PWCarbs (since I am pretty much very low carb 6 days a week).

Jamie & Casey: That's an awesome way to look at things and I love the fact that you eat mounds of food. I guess if I focus on shortening my fran time, upping my weights, etc. I will naturally eat more high quality food in "preparation of" the work out as opposed to looking at constantly looking at foods from a fat loss perspective.

Michael: A 154 grams of fat..see that's my problem. I am so conscious that when I eat a low carb diet I am still not eating any fats, which makes my diet almost 100% lean protein.

As far as my Cross Fit performance: I get nautious like crazy with my average fran time around 10 minutes. I do around 15-20 kip pull ups straight but can do over 50 if I give myself small rests.
That much protein and no fat is still going to play havoc with your insulin. Repeat after me EATING FAT WILL NOT MAKE ME FAT.

Stop eating any carbs besides veggies for a month. Stop carbo loading
Besides that your only other though about food should be, DAMMIT I bought 3 pounds of ground beef, a rottisere chicken, two cans of salmon (630 calories a can) and that only lasted me 2.5 days. I'm goin' freakin' poor here.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #36
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

I'd say count calories. Some people can get away with eye-balling their diet, some people have better genetics than others. You obviously cannot. Crossfit is not magic, and merely counts as moderately active (and you only do it 3 times a week so...), so don't think that everyone can just eat like a hippo and get away with it. Quality food, carefully measured is what you are gonna have to do.

So why not figure out the caloric content of the main foods you eat, and get some more data. Frankly, I don't think you even really know how much of what you actually eat. 1500 calories seems unrealistic. When you figure that out, you could also try carb cycling, it works really well, but you still have to count. Frankly I don't think you eat 1500, but if you do, raise it, but raise it intelligently.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #37
Steven Chicoine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott A Martin View Post
Makes perfect sense. Increase kcal, lose bodyfat.

/sarcasm
It does when your body responds by increasing it's energy expenditure.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #38
Kevin Kim

Profile:

What about muscle catabolism? I'm not talking about glycogen depletion with metcons but particular after 1-2 heavy weight lifting sessions COUPLED with Cross Fit three days a week. Not having ANY carb loads with a low carb diet seems to be a recipe for muscle loss BUT.....I am no pro so I am ALL ears. I am merely speaking out my concerns as ignorant as they may be for the purpose of being corrected with sound, nutritional logic.

Casey: At our gym we do fran like 2-3 time a month.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #39
Jonny Blaylock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
And I'll be the jerk that says maybe you ought to develop better fitness goals then just saying "getting ripped". I've known many "ripped" looking people that were weak as hell.
If someone does not play a sport or take part in any athletics (other than their training regime) and their goal is purely to "look good" then why would they need "better fitness goals then just saying "getting ripped"" as you said? Why would it matter that they are "weak as hell" if their goal is purely for appearance?
Old 04-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #40
Casey Crooks

Profile:

Is this a CF affiliate?
Thats too much for testing purposes, and not enough to specifically get better at fran (which is NOT the point of CF).