CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-08-2005, 11:28 AM   #1
Kevin Weinkauff

Profile:

The Clean & Jerk and Snatch exercises bother my shoulder. I can do deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, and KB Swings - are these good subsitutes?....I also can't do any kind of presses, so I substitute pushup holds for time and a few light weight Turkish get-ups. They seem to be ok on the shoulder.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Keven specifically what is wrong with the shoulders? Prior surgery? Unless you have some pathology that just won't let you do even lighter weight C&J or Snatchs, most people here are going to tell you to keep working it, work shoulder flexibility, Overhead squat with PVC, handstand push ups, etc.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
Kevin Weinkauff

Profile:

Larry,
I have a shoulder impingement and biciptial tendonitis. Putting off surgery, still rehabbing and daily stretching, and making small improvements....I guess you are right about doing the movements with very light weight. I have to avoid presses and dips all together at the moment. However, you are probably right that I could do C&J and Snatches with very light weight so that I am still doing the movements....Do C&J and Snatches have a rep for being tough on the shoulder the way dips can be? Thanks.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:14 PM   #4
Matthew Albanese

Profile:
Kevin-

I'm also on the mend from shoulder impingement and biceps tendonitis. No surgery, just deep tissue massage and ultrasound did the trick for me. I'd basically been off Crossfit entirely for about a month or two (also had a hip flexor strain and piriformis tendonitis). At this point both are pain free and I'm slowly integrating Crossfit movements back into my routine. I've already seen improvement in my OH squat form just from getting the shoulder problems worked out. Do you get the Crossfit Journal? Tyler Hass had an awesome article in the most recent one regarding shoulder ROM and therapy. I've been following that advice and it seems to be working well.

Best of luck.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:46 AM   #5
Kevin Weinkauff

Profile:

Thanks Matt, I'll have to make sure I order that CF Journal. What Journal Number is it?
Old 10-09-2005, 07:34 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Kevin, I'm hoping Robb Wolf will chime in. He is our PT guru. Your still getting some metabolic punch from light o-lifts and wour working on form, but I don't feel comfortable giving you any advise about how hard to push it. Kevin, I would get a subscription to the CFJ so you don't miss any articles!
Old 10-09-2005, 08:29 AM   #7
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Kevin,

Get a broomstick and start doing c&j & snatches with it as well as dislocates. I wouldn't add weight until you can do them with the stick without pain. Then go up in 2.5# increments.

It seems that you have some strength in the shoulders since you can do holds and turkish getups. You probably need to increase the Range of Motion. Work LIGHT presses. Also do some handstand holds and wheels to get better ROM.